SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I heart Alex Mack, and have since about mid-January. He wasn't getting past #32 regardless.
AD, speaking of Seattle CB's, I met Josh Wilson over in Iraq in Feb. when he was on a USO tour with Sammy Morris and Willie Roaf. Heluva nice dude. I seem to recall he was one of the fastest members of the 2007 draft class. Is he able to start yet opposite Trufant?

jmsmith1

Oakland - Jarron Gilbert is a decent pick here. For one, he can play a 4-3 DE or DT, or end in a 3-4. Getting strong, strong versatile lineman are essential. It adds depth and also allows for more variation in scheme changes with less personnel. Some might question his level of competition, but he's consistent and should at the worst give the Raiders depth. Nice pick.

Jacksonville - The Jags were behind the eight ball in this round before they started. The selection of Jared Cook cost them solid shots at much better OTs. Having said that, I think they targeted the right position, but the wrong player. There is one OT that I think is much better value than Fulton. Fulton is a late third to early 4th rounder and has alot of durability issues. Not someone that Jacksonville particularly needs given that their line was decimated by injuries last year. This selection will be alot better if Khalif Barnes resigns, but right now, this was a little bit of a reach for a player with questionable durability. But let's hope Im wrong!

Green Bay - I do like James Casey and my only gripe would be that he would be a better value at the end of the third round, but Green Bay knows that he would be gone by their fourth round selection. While I love the kid rated above Casey that has yet to be selected, I think his mentality fits right in with what the Packers are trying to do. He is a blue collar kid, older than most in this draft, and so maturity wont be an issue. He plays tough and does whatever is asked of him. He could come in as a receiving threat, a blocker, a decoy, or even as a fullback. Nice fit here.

San Francisco - I love this pick. Macho Harris was the CB I was referring to in earlier critiques. He is definitely a Singletary type player. He loves to hit and flys all over the field. His 40 time probably scared some people off, but his body of work at Va Tech is undeniable. He is a LB in a DB body. He loves to hit and like the GM said, he's got no qualms about blitzing up to stop the run. Great pick, tremendous value. Could be a top 5 steal of the draft so far. Despite his 40 time, Harris also contributes in the return game and special teams. Very versatile player and GREAT pick.

Buffalo - Again I like the selection, but not necessarily the player. I think there is a much better player available that would give tremendous value, has all the intangibles as far as a receiving threat, and doesnt come with the durability concerns. There is no doubt that Beckum is a talented athlete who is strong and versatile and when healthy is a great TE prospect, but with his consistent injuries, I think you would've been better suited grabbing a different prospect. Having said that, if Beckum stays healthy, he'll instantly be productive, especially in the red zone. If he stays healthy, this will be a solid pick. But if not, this could come back to haunt you.

jmsmith1

Any chance we take this thing all 7 rounds? Seeing alot of interesting picks. Guys are doing a great job of addressing team needs.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
San Francisco - I love this pick. Macho Harris was the CB I was referring to in earlier critiques. He is definitely a Singletary type player. He loves to hit and flys all over the field. His 40 time probably scared some people off, but his body of work at Va Tech is undeniable. He is a LB in a DB body. He loves to hit and like the GM said, he's got no qualms about blitzing up to stop the run. Great pick, tremendous value. Could be a top 5 steal of the draft so far. Despite his 40 time, Harris also contributes in the return game and special teams. Very versatile player and GREAT pick.

I like him better if he puts on 10 lbs. or so and moves to safety. I think he'll get exposed by stronger NFL WR's that push back when chucked at the line.
Very productive at Va. Tech though like you said, but his character would need to be watched closely by Samurai Mike, or whomever picks him.

Arctic Dawgs

I heart Alex Mack, and have since about mid-January. He wasn't getting past #32 regardless.
AD, speaking of Seattle CB's, I met Josh Wilson over in Iraq in Feb. when he was on a USO tour with Sammy Morris and Willie Roaf. Heluva nice dude. I seem to recall he was one of the fastest members of the 2007 draft class. Is he able to start yet opposite Trufant?

:wow:

you outrank Sarge by a shitload

The Seattle Seahawks defensive back was in Iraq last month chatting with generals who are leading the U.S. Army's war effort

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
HAHA! Well played, AD.

Alas, but I am merely a sweaty worker bee :sweat:who flies those old tired Generals around from photo op to photo op.

Arctic Dawgs

4. For teams with the same record, teams that fail to make the playoffs always pick before teams that earned playoff berths.

The above was taken from Wikipedia. NE didn't make the playoffs, Miami did, so the order wouldn't be serpentine as with teams who finished with the same records (like that three-way tie last year.)

I just confirmed that I had the order figured out correctly. DD is correct in establishing the order for the first round only. In the following rounds, teams within a tied segment rotate up 1 slot per round and the team that had the first pick in the segment moves to the last pick in the segment.

7 Rounds Draft Order from Sportsline

I'll update the Draft Order thread with the new trades

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Buffalo - Again I like the selection, but not necessarily the player. I think there is a much better player available that would give tremendous value, has all the intangibles as far as a receiving threat, and doesnt come with the durability concerns. There is no doubt that Beckum is a talented athlete who is strong and versatile and when healthy is a great TE prospect, but with his consistent injuries, I think you would've been better suited grabbing a different prospect. Having said that, if Beckum stays healthy, he'll instantly be productive, especially in the red zone. If he stays healthy, this will be a solid pick. But if not, this could come back to haunt you.
I agree, the durability is an issue, which is why I didn't take him for Philly in the 2nd round. I think I know who you are speaking about...but I am not as high on him as you are. With Owens and Evans pulling coverage, a solid receiving Te will really, really help a young developing Edwards...and of the receiving TEs...I like Beckum of those who are left.

bobbeaux

Houston signed Antonio Smith, but released Anthony Weaver & Earl Cochran leaving them thin at the DE position . . . Kruger was just too much of a value to pass up here and will provide flexibility in the rotation . . . was considering OL (especially OG) or RB here, but felt there was still lots of value available in later rounds at those positions . . . ;)

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Totally love the Kruger pick. I had him in the crosshairs for my pick at the end of the round. He's a bit older (24) then a typical rookie but that's due to his 2-year Mission before he started playing football at Utah. I saw him pop up twice in early mocks going to Pittsburgh at the end of the first round.
There's something to be said for a high character/high motor guy that you can plug into your D-Line rotation from day one and not worry about anything there for 8-10 years.

jmsmith1

New York Jets - The Jets still have needs at WR, CB, and DE. They do have FA signees at CB with Ahmad Carroll, and DL with Marques Douglas and Howard Green. So having said that...I do think there was a guy that is available that could fit in several roles for them. But I do see why you went RB. Thomas Jones isnt getting any younger, but I also think that there are higher rated RBs than Ringer. No doubt Ringer is a good back, but I dont know how well he'll project to the NFL. I dont see him as an every down back. But then again, most didnt see Jones Drew or Sproles as premiere backs.

Houston - This is going to push for a top 5 steal of the draft as well! I LOVE THIS PICK! Kruger is a tough, blue collar worker and will come in and help out Williams immediately on the D line. He's relentless, and what he lacks in technique or speed, he makes up with will, determination, and a non stop motor. This kid is rated as a near first round by Mel Kiper, and I love his play. GREAT pick!

San Diego - Alot of people dont know about this Hampton product at NT. Chris Baker is a freakish athlete at his size. Now while I love this kid, I think there are two higher rated products. But hear this....a 326 pound kid that has a 5.0 40 and a 37.5 in vertical. With San Diego running a true 3-4 and Luis Castillo still somewhat uncertain as far as his ability to remain healthy, I dont disagree with this pick. Im actually intrigued by it. Normally, I would say go for the more proven commodity, but there is alot of upside here. Good selection.

Denver - Hard to argue with this selection. With McDaniels coming in, they are now moving to a 3-4 and they need ILB that can fill their needs. Beckwith is the top rated LB available besides Freeman, and some question Freeman's speed and field awareness. Freeman was selected later, and I think Beckwith was a great selection here. He is coming off of a knee injury but a 242 pounder with a 4.5-4.6 40 isnt bad. Good value and good fill for team needs.

Washington - Marcus Freeman is a project but one that Dan Snyder could find a gem. He ran a 4.5 40 at 239 pounds. Now there is one player I really like that is rated higher and still available. His 4.74 40 was a bit scary at the combine, but what he does have going for him is that he has played all three LB positions, so versatility makes him worthy of a selection. He even grades out to a third round selection. Another steady selection.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
San Diego - Alot of people dont know about this Hampton product at NT. Chris Baker is a freakish athlete at his size. Now while I love this kid, I think there are two higher rated products. But hear this....a 326 pound kid that has a 5.0 40 and a 37.5 in vertical. With San Diego running a true 3-4 and Luis Castillo still somewhat uncertain as far as his ability to remain healthy, I dont disagree with this pick. Im actually intrigued by it. Normally, I would say go for the more proven commodity, but there is alot of upside here. Good selection.

I don't fear the small school players. Had someone went with the more proven commodity many years ago, they would have passed on that guy from Mississippi Valley State....who was he now......oh yeah... Jerry Rice. I think talent is where you find it. Otherwise the 49ers might have ended up with the next WR taken after Rice in that draft, some guy from FSU named Jessie Hester, and Al "Satan" Davis would have gotten the jewel of the bay. Point being bigger IMO isn't always better.

Jessie Hester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (In case you didnt know who this guy was, and I sure as heck didnt)

I like the speed. I like the size, and I like the fact he doesnt have to play right away. He can be developed, and I think Ron Rivera would turn this boy into a freak.

I will also add the caveat had I known in the first round LT2 would re up with SD, I would have taken a NT then.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Ok....been over a day so I made a pick for TB.

FireMillen is OTC

Last edited by a moderator: