Saints to face discipline for Gregg Williams bounty program

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I hate to say it but I was thought as far back as peewee football that knocking their star out of the game was a good thing. They never bought me a snowcone for doing it tho.

jjtweeks

Well that's what made it OK:grin:. Do it for yourself, not for money or others. Once you organize it and talk about it then it's wrong :tongue:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I remember once when Coach Bradley offered our peewee team a chilli dog if we put Ronald Cook out of the game. Hail he was willing to buy us a coke if just once we'd tackle the speedster.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Reports now say that my Saints will know their punishment by the owners meetings during the last week of March.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
SI's Peter King believes Saints coach Sean Payton could be facing a suspension for his role in the team's "bounty" scandal.
King's revelation came in response to a question on Twitter, but one of the league's most plugged-in reporters, it's doubtful he pulled his answer out of a hat. By nearly every account, the Saints' program to incentivize injuring opponents was led by former DC Gregg Williams, but it appears neither Payton nor GM Mickey Loomis took any steps to stop it. It's looking more and more likely the Saints will be facing one of the stiffest punishments ever handed down by the league office.
Source: Peter King on Twitter

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Buffalo News reports Rams DC Greg Williams' bounty system was in place as coach of the Bills from 2001-2003.
Two former Bills players confirm a reward for "knockout shots," similar to Williams' off-the-books compensation in New Orleans and reportedly with the Redskins as well. Pressure is mounting for commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Williams for a year -- and perhaps ban him for life -- if he's found to be lying about the bounty system that deep into his past. Rams coach Jeff Fisher was defensive coordinator for Buddy Ryan, who coached against the Cowboys in the infamous 1989 "Bounty Bowl" game.
Source: Buffalo News

DearbornDolfan

*shakes head*

Ban Williams.
Suspend for a year anybody on any team Williams worked for that knew about this program and didn't stop it.
All teams Williams worked for that knew about the program while he was with them and didn't stop it get the Spy Gate Doctrine.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Nashville Tennessean reports the Oilers/Titans had a "player-organized performance incentives pool to reward big plays" during Gregg Williams' 11-year tenure as an assistant coach with the organization.
Williams was with the Oilers/Titans from 1990-2000, and coordinated Jeff Fisher's defense from 1997-2000. According to former players, "coaches were aware" of the activity, but "didn’t organize bonus programs or hand out money for deliberately injuring an opponent." Former Oilers LB Al Smith said the practice stretched back to "long before" Buddy Ryan served as the team's defensive coordinator in 1993. Williams will meet with NFL security officials in New York on Monday.
Nashville Tennessean

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
SI's Peter King expects Rams DC Gregg Williams to receive "at least" an eight-game suspension for his role in the Saints' "bounty" scandal.
However, King believes Williams could be suspended for the entire 2012 season. Williams is meeting with NFL security officials on Monday to address allegations that he oversaw similar programs during his time in Washington and Buffalo. If Williams is handed a year-long ban, the Rams will almost certainly be forced to move on at defensive coordinator.
Source: Sports Illustrated

deuce4321

Driller
If he gets banned what happens to the actual players who committed the "fouls". Maybe they need to review every play and retroactively deem if the defenseman was trying to injure his opponent. Two games per each ill intentioned hit?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Saints players aren't the only ones facing trouble. Reports out now indicate That Cleveland's LB Sxott Fujita could be facing suspension himself for his actions while he was with the Saints. Bountygate is going to reach out and hurt a lot more teams than just New Orleans. If the full truth could come out I wonder just how many teams have been guilty of this type of behavior. Sucks to be a Saint's fan right now. We have to get this behind us in a hurry so that we can work on winning the superbowl in New Orleans this year.

jjtweeks

I hear ya Mud
well at least it's happening in the off-season and hopefully can die out before regular season so we can focus on the games

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Personally JJ this makes me sick that my team would be guilty of this. It's going to take me a long time to forget we were playing dirty on our way to the superbowl. Other teams maybe doing the same type thing doesn't help make it right in my mind at all.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch expects the Rams to turn to assistant head coach Dave McGinnis as DC Gregg Williams' replacement if he is fired or handed a lengthy suspension for his role in the Saints' bounty program.
Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

RLLD

How in God's name can anyone prove that a player intentionally hit to hurt; aside from Hines Ward, that is....

But seriously. If we look back at each and every injury, how can we ever know? But, what if there was an injury, and someone collected the bounty....is that enough for punishment?

This feels like a slippery slope to me