Saints to face discipline for Gregg Williams bounty program

gizzil

Apparently, Gregg Williams (former Saints DC), in addition to welcoming vernon davis to rape him repeatedly, had a bounty program where players paid into a pool and they were rewarded for both performance and injury of opposing players. The league's investigation says between 22 and 27 players were involved, and at least one assistant coach. The pool in the bounty program may have exceeded $50,000 (allegedly) during the 09 playoffs. Now, I don't know that this is exactly groundbreaking news. Don't most, if not all NFL and more than likely most college programs have a similar bounty system in place? I'm not condoning OR condemning the behavior - merely stating that this is not an isolated incident. I forever hate Gregg Williams though, so....

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Saints had a "HIT Squad" under DC Gregg Williams?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the Saints are in danger of NFL discipline after maintaining a "bounty program" to take opposing offensive players out of games under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
Per Schefter, the NFL's investigation began in 2010, when Williams' defense began targeting Brett Favre and Kurt Warner. Between 22 and 27 Saints defenders were allegedly involved, as well as at least one defensive assistant. The league has reportedly reviewed 18,000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. New Orleans' discipline may lead to fines, suspensions, and draft-pick forfeiture. Williams is now defensive coordinator for the Rams. Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Say it ain't so.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Saints' 2009-2011 "bounty" program under ex-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is being characterized by the NFL as a "pay for performance" plan that awarded defenders $1,500 for "knockouts" and $1,000 for offensive players the opposing team was forced to cart off the field.
The Saints would often target a particular player, which reminds of Williams' comments to inflict "remember-me shots" on Brett Favre and Peyton Manning in 2009 and 2010. Players "regularly" put money into a cash pool and received payments when they successfully injured opponents. New Orleans is already without a 2012 first-round pick, so the NFL could begin taking away additional draft choices this year and a first-rounder in 2013. Expect discipline to be harsh. It will be discussed further at the league's meetings in March. Source: ESPN.com

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Re: Saints had a "HIT Squad" under DC Gregg Williams?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL has determined that MLB Jonathan Vilma was one of the primary culprits in the Saints' "pay for performance" bounty program that will result in NFL discipline.
"In the week of the NFC Championship Game," Schefter said on NFL Live Friday, "Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma put $10,000 in cash on a table and said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'" Those weren't Vilma's exact words, but they were similar, according to Schefter, and he's sure to be atop the league's target list for impending discipline. It's worth nothing that Vilma is due $5.4 million in 2012 and has been discussed as a possible salary cap casualty. We wouldn't expect him back with the Saints. source:rotoworld

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
This is the first time its been proven to been supported by the head coach and upper management. Interesting this comes out at the same time Drew Brees turns down a contract making him highest paid and wants significantly more .....

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
My understanding is that Brees turned down a contract offer that would have made him the highest paid player in the nfl before the 2011 seaon started. The hang up now is the money for the first 3 years of the contract where he wants Manning $$ not Brady $$. He's still on record as recently as today as saying they'll get it worked out before Monday.

gizzil

i was unaware of Williams' connections to jeff fisher and of course, buddy ryan. notorious bounty guys. so this is far less surprising. supposedly sean payton knew of the investigation at least, and supposedly office personnel were told by ownership after the investigation was brought to attention to tell the players/coaches to stop. i dont think anyone's issue is with payouts for int, fumbles, etc... (other than the NFL) although strictly forbidden by the cba - do we care if millionaire players put up money to inspire better play? probably most of us don't - the problem, then, although yes an "illegal bonus" - is that guys are taking money to hurt other guys... not that this hasn't existed already for decades... but in such a scrutinized, BIG money game you gotta wonder when dudes got killed were other guys motivated by money to do so? cutler was lucky to survive his trip to the dome... and i think they hit him one time so hard he lost his mic - or hearing in that ear perhaps. it's hard not to look back at certain injuries in certain games and think

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Washington Post reports that Gregg Williams utilized a bounty system paying players for big hits as far back as his time as Redskins defensive coordinator from 2004 through 2007.
The Post spoke with four of Williams' former Redskins players. Only DE Phillip Daniels, now a member of Washington's front office, was willing to speak on the record. The reward for big hits was "hundreds to thousands of dollars," said the Redskins' players. Recalled one defensive player who's still in the league, "If you took the star player out, he’d hook you up a little bit." The Rams shouldn't count on having Williams to coordinate their defense for 16 games.Source: Washington Post

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Sources "familiar with the investigation" confirm Rams DC Gregg Williams could be facing a fine or suspension for his role in the Saints' "bounty" program.
Already trying to save face, Williams issued an apology on Friday. "I want to express my sincere regret and apology ... for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints," Williams said. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role." Williams can be expected to serve a multi-game suspension next season as he attempts to turn around a Rams defense that allowed 25.4 points per game in 2011. Related: SaintsSource: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Remote Controller

This is honestly what every team tries to do, sans the rewards linked in 18,000 documents. It's gonna go bad for Williams and the Saints, but I don't think there is a clean front office, and I bet they are all doing some sweating......especially those who have a former player NOW playing for the Saints.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It's not a good day to be a Saint's fan in South Louisiana. It's all everyone is talking about on location.

jjtweeks

Yea it's going suck how much negative media this is going to attract. Where's that media magnet Tebow when ya need him.