Saints hammered by NFL

Remote Controller

I Guarantee you Brees had money in the pot! He is connected at the hip with Payton as much if not more than vilma was with Williams.

Jackson

The Green Phoenix
Staff member
If this was the NCAA theyd have to vacate wins and get a slap on the wrist

I don't know, this is part of the reason I kind of like the NFL better. Their punishments are actually real and forward-looking, as opposed to the NCAA's imaginary, retroactive, impotent, and spiteful punishments.

It really doesn't matter what the Saints did anymore. What matters is that they--nor anybody else in the NFL--learn that bounties can't be part of the NFL anymore. I'm having a little fun with the situation in my avatar and signature, but deliberately try to hurt players is at best archaric and at worst, downright brutal. Chance and the evolution of the size and speed of the players has made the NFL dangerous enough without that crap.

I still support Payton and Loomis as the Saints' leaders from here on out, but I know for sure by Payton's reactions to the punishment he doesn't "get it" yet. Coaches are supposed to be leaders and responsible for their teams. The Saints won a Super Bowl, and he's a hero. You let the franchise go off the rails for a while, you take the blame for that. It makes sense that the biggest punishments are level at individuals--it will serve as the biggest deterrent. The Saints got off easy on draft picks, but the loss of Payton is also huge, and Loomis as well. That's the team's real punishment.

It can taint the Super Bowl championship for other people, but it won't for me. I'm not going to apologize for being a Saints fan in the past or going forward, but I'm not going to condone what any of our players, coaches, or executives did.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
bit floored by this one.....Goodell is off his rocker IMO. I can understand sending a message, but a year for Payton......damn, seems awful harsh IMO

Mike

Administrator
I would have been happy to see the punishments be even harsher. Would also like to see this investigated deeply and punishments given out to those (on all NFL teams) responsible for this crap over the past several years. The league has to be harsh like this if they are truly looking to protect players from serious injuries.

xqj47alpha

Banned
this is bs

and even more so, Billionaire servitude.

it's contrary to the history of the game.

The next thing you know, the QB will be able to run with impunity.

Every team would be guilty at some point in their history.
Why not just ban the game?

The point being, the NFL is reacting as though this behavior was unheard of until now.
My point is the NFL is covering it's arse with insanity.

It's happened every year, every year.
But now, these people are left to participate in the NFL's own version of "The Hunger Games".

Consider the fact this has happened before.
Buddy Ryan comes to mind.
What was his punishment?

The one-year ban handed down to Sean Payton is excessive, cruel and unusual.

Payton should be able to defeat this Goodell Poison Pill if he appeals to Congress.

I fully expect a renegotiation of this entire ordeal will and is taking place behind closed doors.
Until that fateful day of April 1, 2012.

Without a hint of a doubt, Al Davis and Lamar Hunt would never allow this to happen to Payton all by himself. But they can't save him anymore.
Because Darth Vader was Lamar Hunt's final Sith, it will be Payton Vs. The Commissioner of The NFL, and does I through 100.

Dear NFL: We get the point. You don't need to crush a Clone warrior to prove it.
signed the other 31 coaches in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

xqj47alpha

Banned
I'm sorry, but with all due respect, I can NOT get on board with this Commission.

Sean Payton is to bare the entire burden of THE NFL'S SHAME!

Of course you get physical in an NFL game.
And the historical progression of violence is held in the HANDS of THE OWNERS

Shame on everyone who ever played in the NFL for not standing up for Sean Payton and his penalty.

If this type of behavior is so unacceptable why has it been allowed?
It's almost like the South is getting screwed all over again.

It's unfair and just bad form for the NFL to pin the entire transgression on Payton and the Saints.

It's an entirely and unnecessarily excessive burden to place on such narrow shoulders.
Whatever happened to accountability?

So two men should have the sins of all those before, even the HOF'rs, all those sins pilled on to just the two of them?

Last edited by a moderator:

gizzil

nice, alpha - like i keep saying... this happens on EVERY team - and EVERY coach knows - so we should suspend all coaches for a year? im finding it a bit odd that the saints were singled out from the herd...

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I agree with the punishments. I wonder how harsh the players will be hit. Another thing: what about the other teams that Williams was on and had the bounty program? Do they get hit as well?

Remote Controller

These are your fellow "Men" you are trying to knock out of a livlihood that is already cruelly short. You don't go this far to kill your brother and not get treated like Cain. I am for this verdict,and feel it could have went further.