Saints hammered by NFL

RLLD

Here are the "issues" I have with this decision.

1) Was it possible to send a message to these guys without affecting the competitive balance in the league? What has the commish now done to the "product"?

2) Greg Williams, ok, he needed to be dealt with for sure, but now the Rams are screwed, the Saints should have to offer up their D coordinator to replace Williams for the Rams, or something along those lines.

3) Sean Payton, if he knew about this stuff, I can get with the suspension, its a little tough to reconcile overall, but OK, i get it....

4) Vitt gets suspended for 6 games? For what exactly? He was not even part of the team when this all went down, perhaps he aided in the cover up?

5) Loomis gone for eight games, maybe, someone up top has to get hit in order to compel leadership elsewhere to take this seriously, I get it...

Now that Goodell has shown everyone he is the boss, he is the big man, the head honcho, and you better fear him...we can watch a playoff team flounder, the NFL product in New Orleans become fetid. The fans will of course just have to "take it", though they did nothing wrong, they are robbed of a high quality product for which they paid handsomely.

This is NOT college, this is people paying huge sums of money for seats, hot dogs, jerseys, sunday ticket......

How about less suspensions, but make them work for free all season, take their salaries and put them into a fund for players who are injured and can no longer play?

RLLD

My NCAA comment was more toward the NFL at least having some disciplinary teeth

I did not mean to refer to anything anyone else said, was not speaking to your comment, I actually didn't even notice anyone else mentioning the NCAA. I brought them up simply because of SMU and the other moronic stuff they do.

Jackson

The Green Phoenix
Staff member
Peyton's punishment isn't just about the bounty thing. Loomis's actions technically seem to make him more culpable, and he's also--I think--supposed to be Sean Payton's boss. Sean's problems are for a lot of things, and I bet that Vicodan thing didn't help. Lying and acting above this punishment isn't going to help him going forward. I hope he learns his lesson, and I hope he returns to the Saints because he can coach the mess out of a football team.

xqj47alpha

Banned
The pot is calling the kettle black.

There is only one reason this is the season for this type of punishment to befall upon a single franchise.

Al Davis died.

And when you calculate this factor into the equation, you have the NFL.

What it is now, and what it forever will be.

Tell me how this goes through will Al Davis alive!!!
Tell me!!!

If it would have, why didn't it?
Why did the league wait for Al to die and then push this?

I love the NFL, but I hate this with a passion.

I dig the direction, but the Saints were the only team doing this?
bs

Mike

Administrator
This punishment was well deserved by Payton. Loomis deserved harsher punishment.

I think they all could have used harsher punishment, and that there are plenty more still in the league that deserve it as well.

This is the issue that has needed to be addressed for years, rather than the constant rule changes supposedly there to make the league safer.

The league has known about this going on for a long time, and shame on them for not dealing with it a long time ago.

As for the Saints struggling because of this, I don't care. Harsh punishments are the only way to put a stop to this ignorance. Just slap there wrists and they will be back out doing it again week 1.

gizzil

slapping their wrists... perhaps not... but why single out the saints when there are 31 other teams engaged in the same activities, this is my beef

Remote Controller

slapping their wrists... perhaps not... but why single out the saints when there are 31 other teams engaged in the same activities, this is my beef

You seriously ask this question?????? The two numbers 16,000 and 50,000 don't resonate in your memory???? Do you think flat out lying repeatedly to the guy laying out the punishment had something to do with it?

gizzil

Why investigate just the saints in the first place, though? Why didn't Goodell go talk to Rex Ryan? He would've lied... Belichick - oh yeah, he woulda lied - **** he straight up was caught cheating and hardly any penalty (because what he did is probably done by most other teams). Bill Cowher/Mike Tomlin - they were never asked - you really think there's no bounty program in pitt? Cmon you're kiddin yourself. They ALL have these programs. Were they investigated because they were one of the few that were coach sponsored? Perhaps. But the fact is, they were singled out, for SOME reason. The numbers they were paying don't resonate at all actually. Chump change, which all the NFL teams we talk about every day throw around in their own bounty programs. Why would I be impressed by one team's vs. another's? And actually, yes, I do believe that one guy of whom you speak actually had EVERYTHING to do with it. He was probably the one who singled out the Saints. I just wanna know why did he do that? Was it cuza Favre? That's a theory - Favre is the biggest story all year for his juggernaut company and then the Saints brutally accost him for 60 min? The poster boy of the NFL - smeared all over the turf like so much roadkill made him think? Hell no. Goodell knew about these bounty programs forever he's not a dumbass. Why he chose the Saints, now, is what irks me. At least it wasn't the Bears!

Remote Controller

Why investigate just the saints in the first place, though? Why didn't Goodell go talk to Rex Ryan? He would've lied... Belichick - oh yeah, he woulda lied - **** he straight up was caught cheating and hardly any penalty (because what he did is probably done by most other teams). Bill Cowher/Mike Tomlin - they were never asked - you really think there's no bounty program in pitt? Cmon you're kiddin yourself. They ALL have these programs. Were they investigated because they were one of the few that were coach sponsored? Perhaps. But the fact is, they were singled out, for SOME reason. The numbers they were paying don't resonate at all actually. Chump change, which all the NFL teams we talk about every day throw around in their own bounty programs. Why would I be impressed by one team's vs. another's? And actually, yes, I do believe that one guy of whom you speak actually had EVERYTHING to do with it. He was probably the one who singled out the Saints. I just wanna know why did he do that? Was it cuza Favre? That's a theory - Favre is the biggest story all year for his juggernaut company and then the Saints brutally accost him for 60 min? The poster boy of the NFL - smeared all over the turf like so much roadkill made him think? Hell no. Goodell knew about these bounty programs forever he's not a dumbass. Why he chose the Saints, now, is what irks me. At least it wasn't the Bears!

Of course you have thr right to your opinion. You just continue to overlook the proof WHY? If you think they didn't look elsewhere I feel you might be being a bit naive. 16,000 and 50,000 and numerous lying is the key here.

gizzil

Right. That's my point though RC... He punished this team because how dare they lie to the great Goodell? He coulda picked any team with the same programs who also woulda lied. I agree it was audacious after knowing you're under investigation to keep such a thing so high profile - and that's maybe what ultimately got them the commish's swift kick. I just don't know why other teams weren't hit with anything. If he is investigating other teams for this long surely there's tons of evidence against them also. Probably with exact numbers also. maybe they're 14,000 and 60,000 - **** what you think Corey Wooten didnt get sacks of money, dinners, Jacob watches, etc for taking Favre out? please

gizzil

what i believe? so, by inference, then, you don't believe other teams have (or at this point probably had) strikingly similar programs?

gizzil

again you make my point for me... you're right - none of the others were documented... hm... i wonder why - which is the question I've been asking - as for the coaches being involved - i didn't realize you were present in every locker room and team meeting

Remote Controller

again you make my point for me... you're right - none of the others were documented... hm... i wonder why - which is the question I've been asking - as for the coaches being involved - i didn't realize you were present in every locker room and team meeting
You are quite naive if you think that this was just aimed at getting the Saints.