Regular season anger thread

cctekguy

Staff member
Here's another fun exercise.

Send the New Orleans Saints (312 points scored, 230 allowed) into New York to play the Jets (189 points scored, 310 points allowed) and tell me who won the game.

ExperiencedRookie

Here's another fun exercise.

Send the New Orleans Saints (312 points scored, 230 allowed) into New York to play the Jets (189 points scored, 310 points allowed) and tell me who won the game.
I'll play along with your exercise if you take mine..

My brain says that the Saints would be the pick but I already know the correct answer. Yes, the Jets won the game of course.

I assume this is to make a point of in head to head it's an "any given Sunday" mentality. This is true of course.

However, what is New Orleans record? Are the 1 of the best teams in the league and will they likely make the playoffs? I'd say so.

That being the case, what does that have to do with one of the best teams in a fantasy league not making the playoffs?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
the point you missed is this. So what if you are the top scorer. It doesn't matter. Why? Because you are 5 - 8 and on those 8 weeks, the other teams scored MORE! So whoopdeedo for you.

ExperiencedRookie

the point you missed is this. So what if you are the top scorer. It doesn't matter. Why? Because you are 5 - 8 and on those 8 weeks, the other teams scored MORE! So whoopdeedo for you.
But if you can't tell the difference between a 10-3 team and a 5-8 team by looking at the weekly scores, can you admit that maybe, just MAYBE, there might be something wrong with the standard structure of fantasy football? Shouldn't leagues be trying to put the best teams in the playoffs?

Phicinfan

Administrator
They are. If you were that good, you would be winning. The point that keeps getting missed is, that owner for whatever reason bested you. So is it the system's fault, or yours?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
One simple point that hasn't been mentioned is that teams in weak divisions have a much easier path to the better record than teams in strong divisions especially since you play your division rivals twice. Thusly score a point here for total points being the truer indicator of over all team strength.

Phicinfan

Administrator
If I am not mistaken, and it has been a long while ago, but we had a league like this back in the Fantasy Sportswire days. We drafted our teams, and listed our starters, and just got awarded for final pts. To me that was pretty boring, as you weren't head to head with anyone, so you didn't have the key need to adjust lineups and such

ExperiencedRookie

I have to agree here. Total points scored is boring. It's def fun being able to play head to head.

Unfortunately this only happens about 50% of the time. Blow outs happen frequently, which can kind if suck the fun out of a weekly matchup when it's 121-77 going into Sunday night.

The point that I'm trying to make us that strictly head to head leagues are flawed and they keep deserving teams out of the playoffs

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Absolutely I agree that head to head competition is the only way to play however I do like and prefer that the first tie breaker be total points. There should be some sort of reward out there for fielding the best or nearly best scoring tem week in and week out.

gizzil

i think the model of every team playing every team each week would be a better system

ExperiencedRookie

I would guess team A was 10-3 seemed a little more consistent
Well, I guess no one else wants to run through my exercise. Maybe it's not interesting enough. Maybe it's laziness. Or maybe people are unable to truly tell the difference between a 10-3 team and a 5-8 team by looking at their weekly scores.

To answer the question, Chris got it wrong. Team A is the record of scores from my 5-8 squad.

If we can't pick the league champion out of a lineup by pitting the scores against each other, then the "luck" of drawing a super soft schedule is far too dominant in head to head leagues.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
If we can't pick the league champion out of a lineup by pitting the scores against each other, then the "luck" of drawing a super soft schedule is far too dominant in head to head leagues.

In our paid league the leader at 10-3 has far fewer points than the second place and my third place team. And a wildly easy matchup this week against the # 12 team in a 12-team league to retain his number 1 rank! He beat me because Brees and Graham teed off one week for 60 pts. DAMN, there goes Graham again! And I don't get to play him next week. No....I get the highest scorer of the league for the championship round week 15. Well, as I am the 2nd highest scorer that is really the finals.

Rank Team W-L-T Pts For Pts Agnst Streak Waiver Moves
*1 Gladiators 10-3-0 1351.80 1297.00 W-6 11 36
2 BackLash 9-4-0 1566.00 1402.00 W-4 4 22
3 FOREpLay 8-5-0 1455.20 1303.40 W-1 3 29
4 Plaxidental Shooting 8-5-0 1412.00 1262.20 W-1 9 30
5 Ice Camels 8-5-0 1262.60 1189.60 L-1 6 19

_How do you like my SUDFFL icon_?

Last edited: