QB's dropping like flies in the NFL

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Down goes Jay Cutler, down goes Michael Vick, and down goes Alex Smith. Concussions for all three signal callers. Fantasy owners should offer up prayers to the football gawds if they had two of these three on their team. Black eye for the NFL? What sort of over reaction comes next from the commish? Stick flags in the QB's pocket and don't hit the franchise player. Wow! Game changing injuries. What do you think Outlaws? What more can, should be done to protect these darlings of football?

catman

Baseball "Expert"
Technology has to come up with more protective helmets for all players, not just QBs. I'm sure they'll be able to make something that can protect heads better than what is currently on the field.
Looking back on what we wore when I played in high school all I can say is "wow". Its amazing that more people weren't injured in those days.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Take the helmets off of the players and they'd stop leading with their heads, seriously. I've heard former players say exactly that. Not that I'm calling for such action mind you.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
I wonder if this will help my fantasy team at all? I've got 3 uninjured starters, Palmer, Fitzpatrick and Schaub. I wonder if anyone will offer me the moon for one of these guys?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Take the helmets off of the players and they'd stop leading with their heads, seriously. I've heard former players say exactly that. Not that I'm calling for such action mind you.

I have always wondered that. If we keep making the helmets better, what keeps the player from using the helmet as a weapon. By reducing the helmet, maybe they will learn to tackle properly.

jjtweeks

I wonder if this will help my fantasy team at all? I've got 3 uninjured starters, Palmer, Fitzpatrick and Schaub. I wonder if anyone will offer me the moon for one of these guys?
I give u the moon, Warren Moon for all 3:rolleyes:

Phicinfan

Administrator
To me this is a product of the new NFL, pass now, pass often, and run only for show. you keep putting these Qbs on full tilt, where the defense knows it can pin their ears back and go full throttle and you better have a decent back up ready, cause you are gonna need one at some point in the season.

that, or god forbid you actually invest in a solid O-line.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Down goes Big Ben. Reports say that it is a significant injury and that he'll miss some time. There's going to be a scramble for QB's on the WW this week. My nephew lost Ben and Vick.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Jay Cutler has now suffered "nearly a half-dozen" concussions in his football-playing career. No wonder he's so darn dingy. Don't expect to have him in your lineups Monday night.

bobbeaux

Down goes Big Ben. Reports say that it is a significant injury and that he'll miss some time. There's going to be a scramble for QB's on the WW this week. My nephew lost Ben and Vick.

i lost ben in 2 leagues and eli is on bye in both, as well . . . grabbed bradford in both . . . definitely not much out there on the ww . . . :eek:

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
What is different these days than they were just a few years ago? Why is this happening so often? Why is there such a desire to lead with the helmet during a tackle? What's the motivation? Is it a better technique than trying to body grab someone? I am not understanding this at all.

Phicinfan

Administrator
What is different these days than they were just a few years ago? Why is this happening so often? Why is there such a desire to lead with the helmet during a tackle? What's the motivation? Is it a better technique than trying to body grab someone? I am not understanding this at all.

My opinion but:
By changing the rules, they have elevated the value of a passing game. That then leads to more opportunity for injury. Add to that that defenses are totally selling out for the pass, and they are blitzing mercylessly, and you get more hits on Qb.

I will add that they have so improved the safety equipment, that they have actually made it more dangerous, as players feel they are more protected so go for a much more drastic hit.

Again, just my opinion.

Oh, add in the ESPN highlight effect......

Mike

Administrator

Brought this up a few times and been laughed at each time