Prescott vs. Romo - what should Dallas do?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay,
We all know the situation, Romo has been very solid for Dallas, regardless of the stories he chokes in big games(he really doesn't), he has been hurt. He had spinal fractures and is now starting to get healthy and practice. Meanwhile, Prescott the rookie has done exactly what you want, win, no big mistakes, don't give up the ball, and feed the Elliot Express.

So now, Romo will be ready soon...what do you do?

Dallas first and foremost have to find out what reality is. In my mind, once you feel Romo is ready, he has to start again. I don't care if Dallas wins out until he is ready, you have to see what you have with Romo. You put him in, and let him play.

IF he gets hurt again, then off-season you dump him off, start Prescott and draft a #2 or acquire a solid vet to be mentor and #2.

IF he plays and struggles - you take him out, put Prescott back in, and then bury Romo back on IR or some such saying the back is hurt again.

But what if Romo plays well? - this to me is the best thing to happen to Dallas. Why? First you have TWO solid Qb options. Most teams in this league has one. Then you RIDE Romo, and know if he gets hurt, you have a ready replacement. Then in the off-season, you can do above(draft or acquire vet) and deal Romo to some desperate team, and get the cap savings.

Just my opinion, but I have been listening to the so called "experts" and all I hear is you can't take Prescott out. But that doesn't address the issue. IF Romo is healthy, you have to play him and see what you have, Prescott gave you that time. If is is good to go, then you have the insurance you have needed for the last three years. IF Romo is not, then you go back to Prescott and pray to all that is holy he can stay healthy and not have to move to Sanchez.

But you can't just sit on Romo, and his salary, and not play him to see if he is back or not. That is just stupid. You also hinder your offseason by doing that.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'd stick with Prescott as long as he is playing well enough to win. If he makes it through the season you deal or dump the brittle Romo. If things go south for Prescott you can then play Romo for the couple of games he might give you before getting injured again.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I get that point of view, but the ONLY way you get value out of Romo, is to have him play, show he is okay, THEN deal him next year. If you keep Romo on bench rest of this year, you won't get diddly for him in a trade.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Right now, or in 17, who trades for Romo?

3 off the top of my head would be Cleveland, Chicago, and just maybe Denver.

Dont dismiss Denver without considering Elways views. Yes, he's old and brittle. But Peyton was old and downright broken and he worked farely well

cctekguy

Staff member
I agree with Phic.

Get what you can out of Romo. See where you're at at the end of the season if he makes it that far.

Mike

Administrator
So now, Romo will be ready soon...what do you do?

You stick with what you said before the season started. Prescott is proving himself, you go with him. He will have bumps and bruises along the way, but you let he and Zeke grow a new offense together.

I'm a big Romo fan. He will thank the team 20 years from now that he wasn't thrown back out there to get damaged any further.

Phicinfan

Administrator
You stick with what you said before the season started. Prescott is proving himself, you go with him. He will have bumps and bruises along the way, but you let he and Zeke grow a new offense together.

I'm a big Romo fan. He will thank the team 20 years from now that he wasn't thrown back out there to get damaged any further.
Yes, I think Prescott HAS proven himself. They have to love what they have.

That being said, Romo costs a fortune against the cap. To get any value out of him, and hope to deal him and help the cap, he has to play at some point this year. To me, until he has practiced fully for a few weeks, I don't put him out there, but once he has, put him out there and show you if he is or is not Romo. If he is, and he does well, then you have to think what is best.

But if he sits on the bench all year, you have no idea of what you have, and you kill any value you may get for him.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
To me this isn't about getting something out of Romo....it's about winning now. Dak is winning, I don't screw with that if I am them. Sometimes you just gotta ride the wave in the NFL, Dak works right now, don't screw with it.

hikeNbike

To me this isn't about getting something out of Romo....it's about winning now. Dak is winning, I don't screw with that if I am them. Sometimes you just gotta ride the wave in the NFL, Dak works right now, don't screw with it.
Completely agree. Team is on a roll. If they keep this up they have a legitimate sbot at a long playoff run this year...not to mention a great nucleus going forward.

Looking at the nfc I think the Cowboys have a legitimate shot of winning it. Vikings of course will be tough with that defense, but at the end of the day they win inspite of Bradford, not inconceivable he costs them at some point when it gets tough. Cowboys kust hammered the Packers at Lambeau and even though Rogders may go to the relax card that offense doesnt look right. Atlanta started hot but I dont trust them long term. That only leaves Seattle. Offense has been hit or miss, defense still really good but not the shutdoen unit they were a couple years ago.

Cowboys have a grind it out rushing game with best oline in football that just beat the #1 rush defense into submission. A qb playing smart football and a defense playing much better than was anticipated.

Im super pumped and I think they have a shot at a Super Bowl this year and so im not thinking next year or getting something for Romo, lets ride this one out.

yadda yadda tapatalk

cctekguy

Staff member
I still like Phicin's "business" approach.

Dallas is good enough to win with Blaine Gabbert as QB. Get something out of Romo (hopefully a decent trade) and move forward. What a great luxury to know you don't need your starting QB.

Main thing is to get out from under Romo's contract gracefully.

ExperiencedRookie

Completely agree. Team is on a roll. If they keep this up they have a legitimate sbot at a long playoff run this year...not to mention a great nucleus going forward.

Looking at the nfc I think the Cowboys have a legitimate shot of winning it. Vikings of course will be tough with that defense, but at the end of the day they win inspite of Bradford, not inconceivable he costs them at some point when it gets tough. Cowboys kust hammered the Packers at Lambeau and even though Rogders may go to the relax card that offense doesnt look right. Atlanta started hot but I dont trust them long term. That only leaves Seattle. Offense has been hit or miss, defense still really good but not the shutdoen unit they were a couple years ago.

Cowboys have a grind it out rushing game with best oline in football that just beat the #1 rush defense into submission. A qb playing smart football and a defense playing much better than was anticipated.

Im super pumped and I think they have a shot at a Super Bowl this year and so im not thinking next year or getting something for Romo, lets ride this one out.

yadda yadda tapatalk
Don't sleep on Atlanta. That team is playing really damn good football. They were a no call pass interference penalty away from beating Seattle in their house

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I still like Phicin's "business" approach.

Dallas is good enough to win with Blaine Gabbert as QB. Get something out of Romo (hopefully a decent trade) and move forward. What a great luxury to know you don't need your starting QB.

Main thing is to get out from under Romo's contract gracefully.
Not sure I agree they can win with anyone...he'll I'm not sure Romo gives them the best chance to win. His gunslinger, risk it all mentality gets him into trouble and you are seeing that if you take the risk out, this team can win without it.

I also don't know how much u get for Romo even if he comes back solid. He is old and brittle. The risk here just doesn't seem to justify the potential trade payoff. I think you are talking mid to late round pick at best

Phicinfan

Administrator
Not sure I agree they can win with anyone...he'll I'm not sure Romo gives them the best chance to win. His gunslinger, risk it all mentality gets him into trouble and you are seeing that if you take the risk out, this team can win without it.

I also don't know how much u get for Romo even if he comes back solid. He is old and brittle. The risk here just doesn't seem to justify the potential trade payoff. I think you are talking mid to late round pick at best
If Romo sits on bench rest of this year, you won't get diddly.
If Romo can play a game or two, and do well, then you get at minimum a couple 2nd rounders and potentially a 1st rounder. No way Romo has less value than Bradford.

But you have to SHOW he is healthy.

As for can Dallas win with Romo, yes they can. Dallas is winning by playing keep away with the ball. They are running well, and dunking and dinking and winning time of possession battle. Defense isn't that good, but they are on the field less than any D in league, so it hides the weakness. Romo can play that, and he might even be able to use Dez better(once he is back) but only if he gets the shot to play.

hikeNbike

My thing is chemistry. Cowboys are on a roll
You introduce a qb controversy into this and it could unravel. This year is what I am most concerned about.

yadda yadda tapatalk

cctekguy

Staff member
You make a good point, Hike.

Chemistry isn't taught or trained. It somehow just happens and it's elusive yet powerful.

Might hold Romo on the bench until the walls start to show signs of cracking THEN pop him in there as a skid stopper.

Mike

Administrator
It could go either way with Romo. If you put him out there to show that he can still perform, he might take a hit to the shoulder and be dead in the water again.

I think any team wanting to make a deal for Romo at this point in his career would already have to be desperate due to an injury/suspension of their own, and need to make a quick move.

Romo is 36 and has been beaten up pretty harshly over the past few seasons. It will take a desperate team to make a move for him, a team willing to risk it all for this season.

As for Dallas, this may be as excited as I have been about this team in many years.