NFL News, Rumors, in/out Post Draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
You mean the same kind of deal he got on his 2nd contract in Minnesota? The 5 year contract that was really a 2 year contract?

He will make less money because he is older and this is his 3rd contract. You keep trying to go to 3rd contracts to make your point of NEVER signing a RB to a 2nd contract. Everyone gets that’s RB decline is around age 28-29 but most sign 2nd contracts around age 25-26. 2nd contracts. Not 3rd contracts.
No, I don't. Get over it cause it is the wave of the NFL and I fully agree with it, RBs if used as they should be(NFL really does need to run more - HEAR that Buffalo!!!!), most backs are not worth spending large dollars on a 2nd contract. Now again, if they are willing to work with the team and take team friendly deals the argument is moot. But RBs are not worth the huge contracts they want, they just aren't, the value never works out.

efactor

Coming at you
No, I don't. Get over it cause it is the wave of the NFL and I fully agree with it, RBs if used as they should be(NFL really does need to run more - HEAR that Buffalo!!!!), most backs are not worth spending large dollars on a 2nd contract. Now again, if they are willing to work with the team and take team friendly deals the argument is moot. But RBs are not worth the huge contracts they want, they just aren't, the value never works out.
Never works out. NEVER. Except when it does

Phicinfan

Administrator
Never works out. NEVER. Except when it does
Never is a strong word, but considering all the backs that have rookie deals going to option year are not getting deals......

Just saying

Phicinfan

Administrator
Dalvin Cook officially released - pssst hey Miami.....eerrrrr Cincinnati.....errr Jets....errr well you get the idea

Phicinfan

Administrator
Hmmmmmm. Exactly what I said in my first post

If I didn’t know better, I would think you like to argue 😏
I still wouldn't sign a back to a 2nd contract. I have every right to my opinion, the data is on my side

Phicinfan

Administrator
It will be Miami I think. They need a true #1 type back.
I would hope for some sleeper, someone most folks wouldn't think of. But to date I can't think of one.

Like the Saints - and then release Kamara. Or Giants and let Saquon go.

OR

Does Cook go for a title? SF doesn't need him, KC maybe? Cincinnati? hmmmm, Philly but I don't think they will do it.

Hmmmm

efactor

Coming at you
I would hope for some sleeper, someone most folks wouldn't think of. But to date I can't think of one.

Like the Saints - and then release Kamara. Or Giants and let Saquon go.

OR

Does Cook go for a title? SF doesn't need him, KC maybe? Cincinnati? hmmmm, Philly but I don't think they will do it.

Hmmmm
KC and Cinci make sense. Pacheco played well, but he's a 7th rounder and history isn't on his side to be a true #1 RB. The only reason I doubt he will go to the Bengals is the comments by the GM that they are behind Mixon and he will be there. Would it piss some of the players off to go back on that?

I can see Saints due to Kamara suspension situation. I think Giants hold the line on the FT. Saquan isn't sitting out a season. Too much money at stake to try to pull a Leveon Bell.

Agree that SF is out. McCaffrey already gets crazy eyes when Mitchell is getting snaps. He might off himself if they added Cook. I like the Philly combo of Penny and Swift but hard to argue that Penny will make it through an entire season. Hate to call someone injury prone, but 5 years is a pretty large sample size. They are a possibility. He would fit in well there and might take a cheap contract for a chance to win a ring.

Walter34

Not reading all the back and forth but agree with Phic on this one. There are exceptions like Henry and mccaffrey because of massive talent levels and both being outliers with the current a near term production moving forward. In general, RBs wear down after 4 to 5 years and the options for replacements are plenty Whether it’s free agents who are cheaper or mid round picks. There are so many options that you don’t need to waste cap on a 3 year, 45M deal.

one other nuance is where the teams are at. SF is a unique example where they did not have a lot of needs and were theoretically “one player away”. It made sense for them to make this type of move. I hate that the bears let Montgomery go, but it was the smart move. Detroit paid him, but then drafted Gibbs, so now they are tying up big money on a backup. It’s not fair to RBs, but it’s the way it is right now. The bengals wouldn’t skip a beat if they let mixon go and went with a cheaper committee.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NYG - evidently Saquon Barkley is getting frustrated with leaks out of Giants offices, so is now talking possibly sitting season out if his deal is not done by July 17th deadline
BUF - Von Miller looks to be able to avoid starting on PUP list, he says his knee is all healed up
NE - Patriots kickers spent practice on squib kicks - 25 yard line please says Bellichick
NYJ - talking to C.J. Mosely on possibly reworking his contract
LVR - Josh Jacobs also talking hold out, says he has to stand up for RBs coming behind him
DEN - reports say they are not in the race to sign Dalvin Cook
DET - evidently Megatron is back hanging with the Lions and has taken Jameson Williams under his wing - Good for that kid
JAC - HC Pederson has excused all veterans from mandatory camp - unless they are injured
Hard Knocks - 3 of the 4 teams that are eligible for this don't want to do it. Jets, Bears and Saints have said they don't want it publically. Commanders have remained without comment

Phicinfan

Administrator
CLE - Perrion Winfrey had all charges dropped from a misdemeanor assault charge in Texas earlier this year
XFL - lost $60 million this year
NE - re-signs DT Justus Tavai

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFL - evidently there is some issues getting 2nd round picks to sign their deals due to wanting more guaranteed $$$
CAR - cut DL Jalen Dalton - after signing him 4 days ago
NE - cut RB James Robinson and CB Tae Hayes
ARI - signed FA WR (former XFL) Brandon Smith - to make room they released WR Audin Tate
NE - working with undrafted QB Malik Cunningham to convert to WR similar to what Julien Edelman did
NE - reports showing the Mac Jones is clearly ahead of Bailey Zappe at QB so far

Phicinfan

Administrator
CIN - Jonah Williams has had a change of attitude and is now embracing moving to ORT vs. OLT

Phicinfan

Administrator
Contract stuff??
PIT - Alex Highsmith confident things will get done on his deal
TB - Devin White wanted traded, didn't happen, showed up for voluntary team photo event, and did show up for mandatory camp but not on practice field - HC says its not a hold in, but they are holding him off since he has not been there for voluntary camp stuff... uh yeah
BUF - Stefon Diggs NOT at mandatory mini-camp - shades of what happened at Minnesota?
NE - DL Lawrence Guy not showing up either
NYG - Saquon Barkley no-showing and has NOT signed FT and HC and GM are now saying its all being talked in private

Remote Controller

He first got hurt following his most used year, and was hurt and missed most of 2 years post his contract extension. Why? Cause the Panthers over used him and did not have sufficient back up. Yeah SF is paying him woo friggen hoo, they also have 2 other backs that can take carries from him, net he won't ever be the RB stud he was.

2 back to back years of 200 carries. Never yet has rushed for over 1000 yards a season. Yes 12 TDs and then 13 TDs - but that wasn't all Ekeler, and by the way, he is SSSSSOOOOOO loved they signed him to a big extension....whooops. Nope, he was up for trade. See the pattern yet?

All hail the King - but the King's crown is starting to tarnish

Do you read the news? He was this close to being cut, and I don't think its a lock yet he stays. He is on his last year and he will NOT be a Bengal next year. Perine was a shock, the team never thought someone would sign him to that big a deal. Mixon is gone sir, next year and his numbers show why, as does his off field issues.

Chubb is the man, I don't ever dismiss his talent, nor what he could have been. Please note they also were paying Hunt. Why? To take load off of Chubb. That is great management by the Browns. That being said - I don't see a new contract, don't see big money. Wonder why?

Again, I don't deny Cook has been solid for Minnesota. I would first blame the OL. That being said, his production has started to wain, and simply put he can be replaced. You are missing my point. I am not saying these RBs are not solid, but the model has been proven time and time again that RBs can be replaced and money spent where most are paying now which is QB, LOT, Pass Rush end and top CB. Those are the key money spots.

Zeke was wasted money. Period. He was NEVER what he was after signing that new deal. He is at best now a short yardage back, redzone back which isn't bad. But it ain't worth signing. Do I need to go list of players more that Dallas lost due to overpaying Zeke and Dak? Come on man you are better than this

No they couldn't. Know why? Cause they are already in cap hell, AND Cooper wanted more money. They made a choice and it was the wrong one. They even had Zeke's replacement in place and still blew the money. Give Zeke credit, he forced Jerry to be stupid, but it was wasted money and cost them Cooper and more.

And I can tell you don't follow the NFL, cause the NFL tells you differently. Don't let bias get you, teams are NOT paying RBs. Why? Cause the value isn't there. As you point out RBs take the most beating and they have a limited life span. You can't handle the ball that much and not get beat down, its simple physics. Right now Rbs are rinse and repeat. There have been a handful in recent history that have been paid on second deals and it paid out, but only a handful. Henry is an incredible example. But he was being shopped this off season also, Why? His deal is up next year and Tennessee isn't going to pay him. Cause its not solid money to spend.
all these responses.........................who won?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Contract stuff??
PIT - Alex Highsmith confident things will get done on his deal
TB - Devin White wanted traded, didn't happen, showed up for voluntary team photo event, and did show up for mandatory camp but not on practice field - HC says its not a hold in, but they are holding him off since he has not been there for voluntary camp stuff... uh yeah
BUF - Stefon Diggs NOT at mandatory mini-camp - shades of what happened at Minnesota?
NE - DL Lawrence Guy not showing up either
NYG - Saquon Barkley no-showing and has NOT signed FT and HC and GM are now saying its all being talked in private
So reports leaking now that Diggs is there, but not at practice, and now Josh Allen is talking they are working on things internally. RED ALERT!!! ‼️

Phicinfan

Administrator
LAC - DB J.C. Jackson on schedule to be ready for camp this summer
LAR - Aaron Donald excused from mandatory mini-camp for personal reasons
WAS - NFL may vote for sale of Commanders any time between July 20th and August 8th
BUF - Diggs situation is still a mess, he was at camp but left the facility before the practice started. He tweeted out some nonsense, and no one seems to know what is up.
NYJ - signed FA S Adrian Amos, due to injury to S Chuck Clark may be seriously injured after Practice
ARI - are sharing no time tables for return of Kyler Murray from knee injury
MIN - Justin Jefferson says he will show up at camp regardless of contract situation
DEN - Broncos signing FA DL Frank Clark was made official and to make roster room team released WR Nick Williams
BAL - Rashod Bateman received a cortisone shot in his foot - foot he had a lisfranc injury
IND - missing practice at camp due to recovery from ankle surgery off-season
FA RB Dalvin Cook says he is in no hurry to sign as he wants best situation
CHI - Chase Claypool is dealing with a few minor injuries
DEN - Broncos let folks know the Frank Clark signing was in reaction to Barron Browning having arthroscopic surgery on his knee for a meniscus tear