NFL News, Rumors, in/out Post Draft

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
DAL - making OL changes, moving Tyron Smith to LOT, and moving former LOT Tyler Smith to LOG.
WAS - Brissett still competing with Sam Howell to start at QB
NYJ - cancel mandatory mini-camp for next week
MIA - C Connor Williams the only player missing from mandatory camp
CLE - 2 browns had their car stolen, one by gun point, and another player had jewelry and cash stolen from his car - hmmmm

Phicinfan

Administrator
NE - Rhamondre Stevenson ready to step up to be #1 with Damien Harris gone
NYJ - HC says new contract for Quinnen Williams will be done by camp start
LVR - Jimmy G now expected to be ready by camp
LeSean McCoy is one of the candidates to replace Shannon Sharpe on Undisputed
NO - Michael Thomas expects to be fully ready and at full speed for camp - would love to see him back to what he was
MIN - Miami and Denver seem to be top contenders to get Dalvin Cook if Vikings release him
SF - Brock Purdy per HC seems to be on pace for his recovery, in the mean time Trey Lance and Sam Darnold are sharing #1 reps. Shanahan stated he has had no talks with Trey about potentially being traded
BUF - Damar Hamlin is a full participant in practice - Great to hear
SF - signs FA DL Darryl Johnson
LVR - to date Josh Jacobs still has not signed his FT tender and still has not shown up to the team - July 15th is deadline for new deal
IND - Isaiah Rodgers may be facing permanent ban due to this gambling issues

Phicinfan

Administrator
Madden - Josh Allen Bills QB on cover of Madden - well so much for Super Bowl
JAC - released plans for stadium renovations - some think this is just to push the move to Europe
BAL - HC expects Gus Edwards to be ready by start of camp
DET - Hendon Hooker has progressed enough he is throwing some routes
BUF - signs FA CB Cameron Dantzler and released CB Kyler McMichael
LAR - Cooper Kupp says the ankle is feeling pretty good

Phicinfan

Administrator
ATL - lost KR Avery Williams due to torn ACL
SF - more praise for Trey Lance, but alot of references to how much he struggled last year.....
MIA - HC says Tyreek Hill is missing time due to minor injuries

Phicinfan

Administrator
TEN - Titans are hosting DeAndre Hopkins for a visit
TB - released Verity K so McLaughlin is the only K on roster
WAS - some speculation the sale to Josh Harris could be approved by July
Inside the NFL is moving back to broadcast TV on the CW

Phicinfan

Administrator
MIN - reports by PFT state Vikings plan to release Dalvin Cook on Friday, and are also taking trade offers for Danielle Hunter DL - are they tanking in same year as GB is losing Rodgers?

Phicinfan

Administrator
CAR - Bryce Young starting mandatory camp with first string
CAR - Jaycee Horn CB in walking boot, will be out rest of off-season

efactor

Coming at you
MIN - reports by PFT state Vikings plan to release Dalvin Cook on Friday, and are also taking trade offers for Danielle Hunter DL - are they tanking in same year as GB is losing Rodgers?
Not tanking. While I love Cook, he has definitely lost a gear and Mattison is just as good at this point. Too much money. On Hunter, I think it's a case if someone will give them good draft comp for him, they can turn around and sign a FA short term. Some good edge players still available.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Not tanking. While I love Cook, he has definitely lost a gear and Mattison is just as good at this point. Too much money. On Hunter, I think it's a case if someone will give them good draft comp for him, they can turn around and sign a FA short term. Some good edge players still available.
First, I have said it before and will say it again, I would never sign a RB to a second contract, life span of most RBs in NFL is 4-5 years. Too much talent available later in draft you can replace your RB depth with.
That being said, Cook to me is different in that he played last year and really well last year with a very bad shoulder, which he got taken care of this off season. So if the deal makes sense, someone will get a pretty good 1 or 2 year option at RB.

efactor

Coming at you
First, I have said it before and will say it again, I would never sign a RB to a second contract, life span of most RBs in NFL is 4-5 years. Too much talent available later in draft you can replace your RB depth with.
That being said, Cook to me is different in that he played last year and really well last year with a very bad shoulder, which he got taken care of this off season. So if the deal makes sense, someone will get a pretty good 1 or 2 year option at RB.
McCaffrey?
Eckler?
Henry?
Mixon?
Chubb?
Dalvin?
Zeke?

Never is a strong word. All these guys have earned their money. Zeke ran out of juice last year but was worth it previous, both on the field and in jersey sales. Funny thing is nobody bitches about average WRs getting 15-16 million (Renfrow anyone) but begrudge it to RBs. Renfrow is making the top end of the RB market which is a joke. OBJ just got top end RB money. Would take any of these RBs over OBJ or Renfrow any day of the week. Maybe even twice on Sunday 😎

Phicinfan

Administrator
McCaffrey?
Eckler?
Henry?
Mixon?
Chubb?
Dalvin?
Zeke?

Never is a strong word. All these guys have earned their money. Zeke ran out of juice last year but was worth it previous, both on the field and in jersey sales. Funny thing is nobody bitches about average WRs getting 15-16 million (Renfrow anyone) but begrudge it to RBs. Renfrow is making the top end of the RB market which is a joke. OBJ just got top end RB money. Would take any of these RBs over OBJ or Renfrow any day of the week. Maybe even twice on Sunday 😎
McCaffrey got paid and was useless for 2 years
Eckler - nope too many miles
Henry- hello squirrel found one nut
Mixon - nope see his numbers last year? No way
Chubb - not at the rate Cleveland is going
Cook- you did see he is getting released yes?
Zeke - you just made my point perfectly

Facts are folks RBs are replaceable and don’t pay out what is spent. Thanks to Zeke and Dak Dallas had to give away Amari Cooper and drop O-line talent

Big money for Rbs doesn’t pay out much more often than it does

efactor

Coming at you
McCaffrey got paid and was useless for 2 years
Well, he did get hurt, which is something that happens to football players. But he was so useless that SF not only paid his salary, but gave up 4 draft picks for him. Lynch must be an idiot. Oh wait, he was awesome for them and ironically, they started scoring about 10 more points per game after he came on board.
Eckler - nope too many miles
Only 3,300 total yards and 38 TDs in the last two years after his first contract. Sooooooooooooo many miles on him. What a waste of money. Chargers are idiots!
Henry- hello squirrel found one nut
King Henry
Mixon - nope see his numbers last year? No way
Yeah. He sucked. Bengals should cut him and replace him with Perine or Evans. Plus the gun charge. He's gone. Oh wait. The Bengals let Perine go and kept Mixon despite him sucking. What a bunch of idiots!
Chubb - not at the rate Cleveland is going
1800 total yards and 13 TDs last year under the new contract. He sucks. Can't believe the Browns paid him that. Could have given DeShawn another 1/4 season with that money. Browns are idiots!
Cook- you did see he is getting released yes?
He got released AFTER they paid him almost his entire guaranteed salary and it cost them virtually nothing to let him go. A 5 year contract that was really a 2 year contract. They also got around 3000 total yards from him in those 2 seasons of his 2nd contract. Not bad
Zeke - you just made my point perfectly
This is your squirrel finding a nut moment. But even with a drop in production, he did still contribute. Bad contract but he didn't totally crap the bed.
Facts are folks RBs are replaceable and don’t pay out what is spent. Thanks to Zeke and Dak Dallas had to give away Amari Cooper and drop O-line talent

Big money for Rbs doesn’t pay out much more often than it does
Dallas did not have to trade Cooper because of Zeke's salary. They could have restructured. Jerry mistakenly thought Cooper was on the downhill side of his career. Also, the O-line talent dropped mainly because of Travis Frederick having to retire due to injuries and Tyron Smith being constantly hurt. Those two were considered the best or close to the best at their positions.

RBs are riskier of course due to the pounding they take, but to say that teams should never give them a 2nd contract is off base.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well, he did get hurt, which is something that happens to football players. But he was so useless that SF not only paid his salary, but gave up 4 draft picks for him. Lynch must be an idiot. Oh wait, he was awesome for them and ironically, they started scoring about 10 more points per game after he came on board.
He first got hurt following his most used year, and was hurt and missed most of 2 years post his contract extension. Why? Cause the Panthers over used him and did not have sufficient back up. Yeah SF is paying him woo friggen hoo, they also have 2 other backs that can take carries from him, net he won't ever be the RB stud he was.
Only 3,300 total yards and 38 TDs in the last two years after his first contract. Sooooooooooooo many miles on him. What a waste of money. Chargers are idiots!
2 back to back years of 200 carries. Never yet has rushed for over 1000 yards a season. Yes 12 TDs and then 13 TDs - but that wasn't all Ekeler, and by the way, he is SSSSSOOOOOO loved they signed him to a big extension....whooops. Nope, he was up for trade. See the pattern yet?
King Henry
All hail the King - but the King's crown is starting to tarnish
Yeah. He sucked. Bengals should cut him and replace him with Perine or Evans. Plus the gun charge. He's gone. Oh wait. The Bengals let Perine go and kept Mixon despite him sucking. What a bunch of idiots!
Do you read the news? He was this close to being cut, and I don't think its a lock yet he stays. He is on his last year and he will NOT be a Bengal next year. Perine was a shock, the team never thought someone would sign him to that big a deal. Mixon is gone sir, next year and his numbers show why, as does his off field issues.
1800 total yards and 13 TDs last year under the new contract. He sucks. Can't believe the Browns paid him that. Could have given DeShawn another 1/4 season with that money. Browns are idiots!
Chubb is the man, I don't ever dismiss his talent, nor what he could have been. Please note they also were paying Hunt. Why? To take load off of Chubb. That is great management by the Browns. That being said - I don't see a new contract, don't see big money. Wonder why?
He got released AFTER they paid him almost his entire guaranteed salary and it cost them virtually nothing to let him go. A 5 year contract that was really a 2 year contract. They also got around 3000 total yards from him in those 2 seasons of his 2nd contract. Not bad
Again, I don't deny Cook has been solid for Minnesota. I would first blame the OL. That being said, his production has started to wain, and simply put he can be replaced. You are missing my point. I am not saying these RBs are not solid, but the model has been proven time and time again that RBs can be replaced and money spent where most are paying now which is QB, LOT, Pass Rush end and top CB. Those are the key money spots.
This is your squirrel finding a nut moment. But even with a drop in production, he did still contribute. Bad contract but he didn't totally crap the bed.
Zeke was wasted money. Period. He was NEVER what he was after signing that new deal. He is at best now a short yardage back, redzone back which isn't bad. But it ain't worth signing. Do I need to go list of players more that Dallas lost due to overpaying Zeke and Dak? Come on man you are better than this
Dallas did not have to trade Cooper because of Zeke's salary. They could have restructured. Jerry mistakenly thought Cooper was on the downhill side of his career. Also, the O-line talent dropped mainly because of Travis Frederick having to retire due to injuries and Tyron Smith being constantly hurt. Those two were considered the best or close to the best at their positions.
No they couldn't. Know why? Cause they are already in cap hell, AND Cooper wanted more money. They made a choice and it was the wrong one. They even had Zeke's replacement in place and still blew the money. Give Zeke credit, he forced Jerry to be stupid, but it was wasted money and cost them Cooper and more.
RBs are riskier of course due to the pounding they take, but to say that teams should never give them a 2nd contract is off base.
And I can tell you don't follow the NFL, cause the NFL tells you differently. Don't let bias get you, teams are NOT paying RBs. Why? Cause the value isn't there. As you point out RBs take the most beating and they have a limited life span. You can't handle the ball that much and not get beat down, its simple physics. Right now Rbs are rinse and repeat. There have been a handful in recent history that have been paid on second deals and it paid out, but only a handful. Henry is an incredible example. But he was being shopped this off season also, Why? His deal is up next year and Tennessee isn't going to pay him. Cause its not solid money to spend.

Phicinfan

Administrator
SEA - Some question if Jamaal Adams will be ready for start of season or not
LVR - no one has reached out to Vegas for trade for Hunter Renfrow
ARI - claimed CB Kyler McMichael off of waivers, and released LB Marvin Pierre
NYJ - release S Will Parks
CAR - claimed DT Jalen Dalton and RB Tiyon Evans off of waivers
DEN - Lb Barron Browning is still recovering from recent knee surgery
DEN - reached deal to sign DL Frank Clark
JAC - team will pay 33% of the cost to renovate the stadium they play in

efactor

Coming at you
He first got hurt following his most used year, and was hurt and missed most of 2 years post his contract extension. Why? Cause the Panthers over used him and did not have sufficient back up. Yeah SF is paying him woo friggen hoo, they also have 2 other backs that can take carries from him, net he won't ever be the RB stud he was.
No proof he got hurt due to overuse. Nice try though. It's football. Two backs to take carries from him? LOL. Jordan is the 3rd RB. All teams have them. BTW, he was a RB stud in SF last year
2 back to back years of 200 carries. Never yet has rushed for over 1000 yards a season. Yes 12 TDs and then 13 TDs - but that wasn't all Ekeler, and by the way, he is SSSSSOOOOOO loved they signed him to a big extension....whooops. Nope, he was up for trade. See the pattern yet?
But you said Eckler had too many mile on him. Which is it? The guy is amazing and is on his 2nd contract which you would never give him. Guess they should have rolled with CJ Spiller 🤣🤣🤣
All hail the King - but the King's crown is starting to tarnish
You mean he isn't going to play forever and get 2000 every year? Color me shocked. Only 1500 plus yards last year. Terrible. BTW, he had 2000 yards rushing and 17 TDs after his 2nd contract, which you would have NEVER given him.
Do you read the news? He was this close to being cut, and I don't think its a lock yet he stays. He is on his last year and he will NOT be a Bengal next year. Perine was a shock, the team never thought someone would sign him to that big a deal. Mixon is gone sir, next year and his numbers show why, as does his off field issues.
He is a lock to stay or they would have kept Perine or drafted a RB before the 5th round. Perine got 3 million guaranteed, which isn't a big contract. If the Bengals weren't all in on Mixon, they wouldn't have let him go. I'm fairly certain they gave Cinci a chance to beat or match.
Chubb is the man, I don't ever dismiss his talent, nor what he could have been. Please note they also were paying Hunt. Why? To take load off of Chubb. That is great management by the Browns. That being said - I don't see a new contract, don't see big money. Wonder why?
What Chubb could have been? He's been great. I would argue the Browns were stupid to pay Hunt the extension. 6 million for a backup RB is overpaying. Took carries away from a better RB. D'Ernie could have handled the backup RB just fine. As far as money, Chubb is making 12 million a year, which is big RB money. You wonder why the Browns haven't paid him more? LOL. They don't have to yet is the answer. But I guess the Browns should have NEVER given him a 2nd contract
Again, I don't deny Cook has been solid for Minnesota. I would first blame the OL. That being said, his production has started to wain, and simply put he can be replaced. You are missing my point. I am not saying these RBs are not solid, but the model has been proven time and time again that RBs can be replaced and money spent where most are paying now which is QB, LOT, Pass Rush end and top CB. Those are the key money spots.
Cooks stats have waned less than Mattisons. Mattison's YPC has been below 4 the last two seasons and he is going to be the starter in Minny? Good luck with that.
Zeke was wasted money. Period. He was NEVER what he was after signing that new deal. He is at best now a short yardage back, redzone back which isn't bad. But it ain't worth signing. Do I need to go list of players more that Dallas lost due to overpaying Zeke and Dak? Come on man you are better than this
Zeke did end up being wasted money, but that's hindsight. He was still young when they gave him the contract and he sold a lot of jerseys for the team. Dak is making 40 million, which while being an overpay isn't really an overpay based on the market. He's currently tied with Stafford and Daniel Jones for 9th highest, which is about right. Plus Burrow and Lawrence will be passing him soon and Derrek Carr is right there. Teams overpay QBs because they have to. Pointing to Dak being overpaid is way off base. Come on man, you are better than that.
No they couldn't. Know why? Cause they are already in cap hell, AND Cooper wanted more money. They made a choice and it was the wrong one. They even had Zeke's replacement in place and still blew the money. Give Zeke credit, he forced Jerry to be stupid, but it was wasted money and cost them Cooper and more.
They weren't in cap hell just because of Zeke. Also, If Cooper wanted more than the 20 million he was making, then he was overestimating his value. They could have kept both by restructuring other contracts. Teams do it all the time.

And I can tell you don't follow the NFL, cause the NFL tells you differently
. Don't let bias get you, teams are NOT paying RBs. Why? Cause the value isn't there. As you point out RBs take the most beating and they have a limited life span. You can't handle the ball that much and not get beat down, its simple physics. Right now Rbs are rinse and repeat. There have been a handful in recent history that have been paid on second deals and it paid out, but only a handful. Henry is an incredible example. But he was being shopped this off season also, Why? His deal is up next year and Tennessee isn't going to pay him. Cause its not solid money to spend.
A total 🤣🤣🤣 at the bolded.

Your last Henry example is why you are missing the total point. You stated that you would NEVER give a 2nd contract to a RB. You think Tennessee regrets the 2nd contract because they don't plan on giving him a 3rd contract? Hell no. Of course they won't pay big money to a 30 year old RB, but doesn't prove your point on 2nd contracts. You were wrong and now you keep pointing to teams getting rid of RBs before their 3rd contract as proof of you being right. Also, a contract like Cooks was never designed to play out the full 5 years at that price. That's why guarantied money is more important than the actual total money figure.

Phicinfan

Administrator
No proof he got hurt due to overuse. Nice try though. It's football. Two backs to take carries from him? LOL. Jordan is the 3rd RB. All teams have them. BTW, he was a RB stud in SF last year
2020 3 games, 2021 7 games all right after new deal - I don't care the reason, it was bad money. Proof is in the missed games
But you said Eckler had too many mile on him. Which is it? The guy is amazing and is on his 2nd contract which you would never give him. Guess they should have rolled with CJ Spiller 🤣🤣🤣
Over use is over use - over 200 carries rushing and 177 receptions combined last two years for a smaller back. He is also the ONLY redzone target and has gotten beaten up by it. Still not worth money to extend, which I might add Chargers agree with. Hmmmm 😁
You mean he isn't going to play forever and get 2000 every year? Color me shocked. Only 1500 plus yards last year. Terrible. BTW, he had 2000 yards rushing and 17 TDs after his 2nd contract, which you would have NEVER given him.
Again he is a unicorn. As was Adrien Peterson. Tomlinson as well. Three RBs that continued post big $$$$ Wow what an average.
He is a lock to stay or they would have kept Perine or drafted a RB before the 5th round. Perine got 3 million guaranteed, which isn't a big contract. If the Bengals weren't all in on Mixon, they wouldn't have let him go. I'm fairly certain they gave Cinci a chance to beat or match.
Dude I am in Cincinnati. He left cause Denver coughed up big bucks, which Cincy wasn't going to do nor planned to do. Mixon was going to be cut, and still might. I don't care your opinion, that was the fact listed here. He is gone next year. Book it. Unless he takes a cheap deal, which he might as Cincy has legit Super Bowl shots yet, if they can keep Higgens.
What Chubb could have been? He's been great. I would argue the Browns were stupid to pay Hunt the extension. 6 million for a backup RB is overpaying. Took carries away from a better RB. D'Ernie could have handled the backup RB just fine. As far as money, Chubb is making 12 million a year, which is big RB money. You wonder why the Browns haven't paid him more? LOL. They don't have to yet is the answer. But I guess the Browns should have NEVER given him a 2nd contract
He signed a team friendly deal and is in the 3rd year of that deal. got a $14 million cap hit for team so no not making huge money sir. Oh, sorry you said big money for Rbs - which is my whole point, RBs are not making big bucks. I would argue that Chubb has been a marvel, but they have not done well so was it money well spent? He is a $24 million cap hit next year - want to bet if he is still a Brown, or if he has to take a cut in money next year due to Watson? Why? Rbs are replacable.
Cooks stats have waned less than Mattisons. Mattison's YPC has been below 4 the last two seasons and he is going to be the starter in Minny? Good luck with that.
Minnesota is bi-polar. They are shucking players like crazy, and I assume Cousins is gone next year as well, might have been gone this year is someone was willing to eat his money and offer him more in a new deal. That said, if Cook is healthy this year he could be phenominal for a team for a short term option. But no way I would pay him multiple years. No way.
Zeke did end up being wasted money, but that's hindsight. He was still young when they gave him the contract and he sold a lot of jerseys for the team. Dak is making 40 million, which while being an overpay isn't really an overpay based on the market. He's currently tied with Stafford and Daniel Jones for 9th highest, which is about right. Plus Burrow and Lawrence will be passing him soon and Derrek Carr is right there. Teams overpay QBs because they have to. Pointing to Dak being overpaid is way off base. Come on man, you are better than that.
wah, wah, wah - I don't care if he is the yardage record holder for the NFL, he has been crap or injured since he forced the big money deal. The money should NOT have been spent, but as an Eagles fan I am loving the money Dallas did spend on him and Dak :D
They weren't in cap hell just because of Zeke. Also, If Cooper wanted more than the 20 million he was making, then he was overestimating his value. They could have kept both by restructuring other contracts. Teams do it all the time.
They were in cap hell, and still are - tied too much money into Zeke, Dak, bad drafting and $$ in O-line. Lost their best OG and OT two years ago due to this. Yes Cooper wanted more and was overestimating his value, He wanted to be Zeke 2. That is the issue here. I will add though their passing game was hurt by loss of Cooper.
A total 🤣🤣🤣 at the bolded.

Your last Henry example is why you are missing the total point. You stated that you would NEVER give a 2nd contract to a RB. You think Tennessee regrets the 2nd contract because they don't plan on giving him a 3rd contract? Hell no. Of course they won't pay big money to a 30 year old RB, but doesn't prove your point on 2nd contracts. You were wrong and now you keep pointing to teams getting rid of RBs before their 3rd contract as proof of you being right. Also, a contract like Cooks was never designed to play out the full 5 years at that price. That's why guarantied money is more important than the actual total money figure.
Again that is the unicorn. Give me others who was equal to or better post signing a big second deal. Go ahead. You don't win by making the same mistakes over and over again. Tennessee won all those Super Bowls thanks to Henry....oh wait. Like it or not , teams are going to multiple RBs and not going to pay big $$$ to keep older backs, there is too much talent they can get cheaper in 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd in the draft. Ask KC about their mistake in round 1 vs. the 7th rounder who is starting for them now.

efactor

Coming at you
All your arguments are foolish and miss the point of NEVER giving a RB a 2nd contract. They should all just retire after 4-5 years 🙄

Phicinfan

Administrator
All your arguments are foolish and miss the point of NEVER giving a RB a 2nd contract. They should all just retire after 4-5 years 🙄
No, they should wake up and smell the coffee. They will have to take team friendly deals, or not play. Again Cook deserves to keep playing and someone will sign him, gut tells me he will get a 2 or 3 year deal that pushes cap hit to later in the deal, that will cause him to be released again next year or year after.

Teams are just not going to over pay to keep a RB anymore. I agree with them. Why? Because once in 25 deals you may keep a Henry? GMs put money in QB, OT, Pass rush and shut down corner. Those are the big money places although WR may be going there as well, as its a friggen pass happy league now.

efactor

Coming at you
No, they should wake up and smell the coffee. They will have to take team friendly deals, or not play. Again Cook deserves to keep playing and someone will sign him, gut tells me he will get a 2 or 3 year deal that pushes cap hit to later in the deal, that will cause him to be released again next year or year after.
You mean the same kind of deal he got on his 2nd contract in Minnesota? The 5 year contract that was really a 2 year contract?

He will make less money because he is older and this is his 3rd contract. You keep trying to go to 3rd contracts to make your point of NEVER signing a RB to a 2nd contract. Everyone gets that’s RB decline is around age 28-29 but most sign 2nd contracts around age 25-26. 2nd contracts. Not 3rd contracts.