Minnesota.....2009

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So, Minnesota's loss yesterday highlighted their glaring need heading into the season that the failed to address: QB!!! Gus and TJax are not championship level QB's; which is a shame, because that is a championship level defense, running back and offensive line. It seems to me like if they would get a competent QB they could take the next step and be a legitimate contender in the NFC. I don't think a rookie is the answer here, even though a couple did come in and do a great job this year. If they are going to go get a vet, who is it you think they should go and get?

Also, how much of this season do you blame on Childress and should he be back next year? Some feel he made a bad QB situation worse.....for me, not sure on that, he didn't have much to work with....

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
tjack: :sadbanana:
childress: :sadbanana: x 100

unfortunately a playoff berth probably means another year with childress and the whole sucky coaching staff. i blame our shortcomings about 99% on him and the staff. until he's gone, we'll continue to play tjack when healthy because childress has a mancrush on him.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Nailed it on the head. QB was the biggest downfall for this team hands down. Miller points out that this team was ready to make a run. If enough of these players make it back next year they will need to bring in a veteran quarterback with enough left in the tank to take the Vikings to the title game.

So scratch Favre and Culpepper out of that conversation. McNabb would be ideal but I highly doubt the Birds will let him go short of a complete meltdown this weekend and even then they would be fools to let him go to Minny. Derek Anderson could be an answer. Stop laughing. Last year the Browns offense was playing good football. I'm not yet convinced it was all DA's fault...maybe a wr who led the league in drops added to the cause. Cassell is going to cost dearly but would also be a very good solution. What about Jeff Garcia? He's a game manager when he's not running for his life and can still get the ball down field when he has a running game to open up play action bootlegs.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Nailed it on the head. QB was the biggest downfall for this team hands down. Miller points out that this team was ready to make a run. If enough of these players make it back next year they will need to bring in a veteran quarterback with enough left in the tank to take the Vikings to the title game.

So scratch Favre and Culpepper out of that conversation. McNabb would be ideal but I highly doubt the Birds will let him go short of a complete meltdown this weekend and even then they would be fools to let him go to Minny. Derek Anderson could be an answer. Stop laughing. Last year the Browns offense was playing good football. I'm not yet convinced it was all DA's fault...maybe a wr who led the league in drops added to the cause. Cassell is going to cost dearly but would also be a very good solution. What about Jeff Garcia? He's a game manager when he's not running for his life and can still get the ball down field when he has a running game to open up play action bootlegs.
All solid suggestions. However, if rumors are true, NE will tag Cassell. Not sure Cleveland will let Anderson go...will depend on the new GM and coach.

I will throw one other name out there...that should be available. Jon Kitna. In that offense, with that line...he could do just enough to push them through. I also think there will be a few solid Qb canidates in this years draft as well.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Anderson still has some miles left on the tires. Not a bad spot for him.

Kitna would be killed in Minnesota. No way.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
?? Curious why you feel that way? He was a pretty mobile guy.

You know that is an outstanding suggestion. They do need a guy who is a veteran even if he's only played for dog organizations. He may very well be a guy who could flourish there.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
JD Booty could be the long-term answer to the QB problem in Minnesota. He might need another year of mentoring, so a guy like Kitna could be perfect. He would be signed for 1 year and be allowed to leave when the contract expires.
If Favre comes in, it would be a similar situation, IMO.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Its a shame about the economy in Minnesota. Their team is really only a good quarterback away from making real playoff noise. But between the weak ticket sales for a playoff game and difficulty of springing for the new stadium, it likely means the team will be limited to a band-aid approach like Kitna, Booty, TJax and the like.

:nonoblue:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Rex Grossman and Garcia are going to be UFA. I'm sure Bomb is thrilled.
Garcia would be a natural fit. He has run the same offense for Philly and Tampa Bay and San Fran that is run in Minnesota. Heck with a running game like Minny has, and the Wrs they have....he could be very, very good for them while Booty or whomever they take to be the QB of the future learns the system.

Runnik's Hambones

So, Minnesota's loss yesterday highlighted their glaring need heading into the season that the failed to address: QB!!! Gus and TJax are not championship level QB's; which is a shame, because that is a championship level defense, running back and offensive line. It seems to me like if they would get a competent QB they could take the next step and be a legitimate contender in the NFC. I don't think a rookie is the answer here, even though a couple did come in and do a great job this year. If they are going to go get a vet, who is it you think they should go and get?

Also, how much of this season do you blame on Childress and should he be back next year? Some feel he made a bad QB situation worse.....for me, not sure on that, he didn't have much to work with....

Isn't this what we all said during the offseason? "Minn is one good QB away from a championship" is the quote I remember. That's when all the Favre rumors were rampant.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
Had Favre been the QB for the Vikes this past season, they would have won at least 3 more games and had a bye last week.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
?? Curious why you feel that way? He was a pretty mobile guy.

Just a feeling. I'm not sure he could do the things needed in that offense to begin with. I just see him getting leveled a couple times and that being the end of the season with that bad back.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Just a feeling. I'm not sure he could do the things needed in that offense to begin with. I just see him getting leveled a couple times and that being the end of the season with that bad back.
What bad luck?? This is the first season he has been hurt in forever. All the guy does is come in and produce decent numbers, but is always the set up guy for some QB of the future.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Had Favre been the QB for the Vikes this past season, they would have won at least 3 more games and had a bye last week.
I don't think so. Minny is based on Philly and San Fran west coast offense. Very percise quick routes...not fling and go. I don't know that Favre would handle that again...as it was the reason he didn't really want to stay in Green Bay.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
What bad luck?? This is the first season he has been hurt in forever. All the guy does is come in and produce decent numbers, but is always the set up guy for some QB of the future.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I personally feel the guy will become an injury case now, and I think he'd get hurt in Minne. You dont.

Mike

Administrator
McNabb would be ideal but I highly doubt the Birds will let him go short of a complete meltdown this weekend and even then they would be fools to let him go to Minny.

They are going to have to pony up a nice contract extension to keep him, and just like clockwork, they are in the playoffs and McNabb is already running his mouth about wanting an extension.

I just don't see the Eagles giving out a big extension to McNabb at this point in his career, give playing 16 games has been more of an exception than a rule for him.