Michael Vick Gets Reinstated by Goodell... Kinda.

Runnik's Hambones

Looks like Vick's friendship with Coach Dungy payed off. Looks like Vick is reinstated but the conditions are none that we would have ever guessed. He can go ahead and sign with a team and practice right away, and he can actually play in the final 2 preseason games. Come week 6, Goodell will decide whether or not to fully reinstate Mike Vick.

What this does is give Goodell the opportunity to asses Mike's attitude and actions. The problem is that teams have NO clue how many games they will have him for this year.

Michael Vick reinstated by NFL, can participate without delay - ESPN

Looks like Vick's friendship with Coach Dungy payed off. Looks like Vick is reinstated but the conditions are none that we would have ever guessed. He can go ahead and sign with a team and practice right away, and he can actually play in the final 2 preseason games. Come week 6, Goodell will decide whether or not to fully reinstate Mike Vick.

What this does is give Goodell the opportunity to asses Mike's attitude and actions. The problem is that teams have NO clue how many games they will have him for this year.

Michael Vick reinstated by NFL, can participate without delay - ESPN

I have been hyper-critical of Goodell since the Belli-cheat scenario so maybe I am not looking at this objectively.

Other commish's may have had the same authority but if they did they were better at using their discretion and appearing heavy handed on an inconsistent basis.

If he is re-thinking the 4 game suspension then re-think it don't hold it out as a carrot so you can decide later whether or not to bestow a favor on a player. Make a decision already and let the guy plan accordingly.

Are the temperaments of Goodell and Smith from the players union the type where others think the negotiations are going to eventually explode?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
That stinks! I'm no fan of Michael Vick but jeez Louise, tell the man what his penalty is going to be and get on with it. This hamstrings any team that might be looking at him and the teams should not be punished.

Mike

Administrator
This just reinforces my opinion that Goodell is a power hungry jerk.

If you are going to reinstate the guy, just reinstate him. The commish has had a long time to decide on how to go about this, and he comes up with something stupid like this.

What this does is automatically reduce the pay that Vick is going to get this year. Teams are automatically going to reduce the amount they would be willing to pay him because not intelligent GM is going to want to invest much into a guy who has this predetermined potential to be a disruption 1/3 of the way into the season.

Just enforces the reason I support Terrell Owens speaking out. I think more players need to start speaking out on situations like this.

Remote Controller

I can't decide if I hate the name Vick or Farve more... that should be the next close call poll.
...because Favre killed someone, or beat his wife, or shot somone outside a strip joint, or drowned dogs, or shit in a closet, or has 12 bastard kids, or raped a chick in a hot tub, yeah I see the correlation.:hmmm:

Oh I'm sorry....It's the Ints!! He's a real piece of shit!

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
...because Favre killed someone, or beat his wife, or shot somone outside a strip joint, or drowned dogs, or shit in a closet, or has 12 bastard kids, or raped a chick in a hot tub, yeah I see the correlation.:hmmm:

Oh lord get a grip he is saying that because all we hear about is either Vick or Favre.

RUBBER DUCKIE

I didn't realize this was a site for pricks and people that think this was a "useful" post. Sorry to be involved.

elrocko

Just reinstate Vick . . .

He has paid his dues, and should be able to move onto the next phase of his life and career . . .

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Just reinstate Vicky, he wont be the player he once was which isn't saying much.

At 30yrs old Vick will play a few more years, fade into the sunset never to be heard from again, end of story.

Coachnorm

NFL.com reports Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, said free-agent QB Michael Vick (Falcons) could find himself suiting up in Week 1 of the regular season "if all goes well" and that commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to conditionally reinstate the quarterback shouldn't be viewed as a six-game suspension. "This is a step-by-step process that goes up to Week 6; it is not a six-game suspension by any means," Anderson said. "If all goes well, he could be playing anytime from Week 1 forward. Roger listened to ownership, NFL employees, friends, relatives, players, counselors, people from animal rights groups. In his typical fashion, he sought input and listened to all before acting."

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
This desicion isn't fair to Vick or to any team looking to sign him. Last i heard it was a suspension lasting anywhere between 2 to 6 weeks, and that brings back the original 4 game suspension. Goodell needs to just re-instate Vick and throw him to the wolves and see what happens with the NFL owners and teams. At least that way Vick can move on with his life. He did a crime and did his time, now it is time for Goodell to follow thru with his end of the deal. Doesn't football practice start for most teams this thursday ? It sure would be nice if any interested team in Vick had some idea what was going on.

Arctic Dawgs

interesting tidbit

Cam Inman, of The Oakland Tribune, reports Oakland Raiders senior executive John Herrera said earlier in the week the team has not discussed possibly adding free-agent QB Michael Vick (Falcons). "We haven't talked about it, and we've been removed from it," he said. It is also worth noting Oakland chief executive Amy Trask sits on the board of directors for Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation.

:hmmm:

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
Oakland chief executive Amy Trask sits on the board of directors for Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation

Stupid, the ARF would be a good place for Vick to do his penance.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I have to admit that I don't like Goodell's indecisiveness here. He's had nearly 2 full years to consider a verdict and he needs an extension? How about you do your job and just announce something definitive.

This is basically going to penalize any team that takes a chance on him because they don't know what's going to happen.