Miami take Tannihill

bodey24

Staff member
Personally, I think this was a terrible pick. I don't think Tannehill is worth this high of a pick. I thought they should have filled another need and then traded back into the first later in the round if they wanted him.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
looks like a bust.....smells like a bust.....walks like a bust.....must be a bust!

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I disagree, he will have at least a year to learn, as they will let Moore or other start this year. Lets see if they get Wr help, to develop with Tannehill or not. That will determine if this was a bad pick or not.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The only way the Fish seemed likely to get a QB in town was through the draft. Tannehill wasn't going to be there for them with their next pick so if they wanted him this was the time to grab him. The jury will be out on this for a couple, three-four, years but it's not a hopeless move IMO and has a chance to stand up for them when the final chapter is written.

jjtweeks

I am just not a fan of any team picking someone in the first round(especially a top ten overall) knowing that they will not be starting this season. Dolphins could have waited another year to make a decision on a QB, I just don't see this guy as the answer. They had more important needs with what was available at that pick rather than Tannehill. I hope he proves me wrong but it definitely won't be this year if he does.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Think he will be put into action sooner than later. They got him for a reason. Miami has two QBs on the roster, you dont draft a QB to just let him sit. And unless they get some players around him , he will have a worse first season that Gabbert did, if thats possible. Dont really like this pick by Miami. Like said earlier, they have QBs, they need other players more importantly i think.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Flynn had no desire to go there. nobody did and only way they would get a qb is to draft one. this could be the 2012 flop player.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Perhaps this is part of the problem for players whom are eventually deemed "busts".

They are drafted by teams that don't have a clue or a plan in place to enable the player they draft an even shot at success.

I mean, the landscape is literally littered with examples. From Jim Plunkett who was a rag-doll in New England and an epic bust until he got a shot with a team that only needed a QB to become complete. Two Super Bowl victories later he's an imminent HOF'er.

To present day Alex Smith.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
think alex smith is more due to coaching. they changed the offence around to revolve around him and short quick plays. Basically SF did with him like denver did with tebow. And the recipe must work, both teams made the playoffs. How good would smith be in a GB,NE type system? he'd have been traded a long time ago.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Alex Smith is an example here as a number 1 pick overall Cerberus.

The Niners took him to be their franchise QB when the team needed so much more.

I'm trying to make the point that there was no reason to believe Alex Smith would develop into or was, a franchise caliber QB.
And even if he had been, the team has so many other dire needs, it was highly unlikely he alone could turn them around.

Only after 7 years of high first round picks did the team produce.
Trying to construct a winning team around any one player has an overwhelming history of failure.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
eh maybe. just funny how new coaching staff come in one year and bam they get 1 game from SB and thats because of the way they tweaked the offence i feel. Before then Alex has done what?

xqj47alpha

Banned
i think we're getting crossed wires here.

Are you saying the Niners got a fumble in o/t from the Super Bowl because of Alex Smith?

The point I'm trying to make is you can't expect a QB to solve all your teams problems.
And more than likely a QB will struggle on a poor team instead of shine.