Matt Forte is p*ssed

xqj47alpha

Banned
The season-ending injury to Cutler stopped the Bears where they stood. Had Forte been injured prior to Cutler, the Bears may have been in just as much trouble.

If there are more than 4-6 "elite" players at any position, they wouldn't be elite would they?

It' s long been a trend for two or more RB's to sport the load. It doesn't make any sense to hinge your success on the one player that has the best chance of getting hurt.

I was just trying to point out RB's these days can't expect to be treated like they were in the past.

Jackson

The Green Phoenix
Staff member
Michael Bush is not Matt Forte. If the Bears want to downgrade from Forte to Bush, I don't see what the big deal is. He doesn't have to play if he doesn't want to risk injury. Yes, franchise tags aren't a part of the regular business world, but few things are.

AD, it's different for Brees. Brees is more valuable to the Saints (now more than ever), than the Saints are to Brees. They need to pay him the money--ALL the money.

xqj47alpha

Banned
At first I didn't get you Jackson.

Now, I do.
You are saying the Bears are willing to let Forte free in 2013.
And are satisfied with Michael Bush moving forward.

Here's where Forte's agent fouled up. Twitter.
Never let your client be @ anything.

As for Brees. I totally dig what you are saying.
However, without Sean calling the plays the team is looking next year (2013, at best)

I solemnly believe the penalty (to Payton) will be reduced and put in monetary form.
Short of that, I wouldn't be shocked if the Saints payed their players, reimbursed their fans, and boycotted the entire season.

gizzil

if franchise tags were a part of the business world - im sure youd be happier than a ****ty pig (in the parlance of our times) to be making top 5 money at your job of all the people on the planet. also, i dont see the move is putting Forte anywhere but more in front, risking less injury on less carries - it also, though, took away much of his already dwindling leverage in contract negotiations. we woulda stood by him last year for sure in a holdout. but not for a guy making 7.4... sorry - oh, and 2013 he'll get tagged again - i'll feel even worse for him when he's making a guaranteed 8.7 mil

Jackson

The Green Phoenix
Staff member
Dude, ****ty is not the preferred nomenclature. Unrefined porcine, please. :grin:

Well, I don't risk my chance of ever doing my job again--or crippling myself--every time I do my job. I understand why Forte is upset. But Forte will make my job's salary for the next 300 years if he only plays through next year. Playin' football is a strange business is all I was saying by that.

And I was really just saying that Bush might play in place of Forte in 2012 if a hold out happens. I didn't really think about 2014. I don't watch the Bears a lot. I hear their line is atrocious--does Forte's style help his production by relying less on up-front blocking?

Finally--what's weird--is that he couldn't hold out last year without severe financial penalty. He can this year, and that's sort of the flip side of the franchise tag, the built-in leverage for the player, so to speak. If they are as valuable as they believe.

gizzil

I feel for him in some ways... sure... for all players, really... but 7.7 is enough for the rest of your life if you play it right. id consider that fair compensation. Bush might have to play in place of forte, and this makes the forte holdout much less concerning, except marion barber might have to take some carries and run outta bounds with 12 seconds left:bash: - as for the Bears' line... ugh... i think they are learning, becoming a better unit, and with a legit run game (forte/bush), no 7 step drops (tell martz to go **** himself!) , schemes hammered out by tice, a great "playground" threat wideout with built in chemistry with the QB (marshall), i believe they can gain the confidence and the help needed to start to form the beginnings of a legit NFL o line... i hope

xqj47alpha

Banned
Drop Forte and Bush from any wish list.

Put the Bears at the front door, knocking on that SB season.

Because that defense's window be closing.

Ever think the NFC Central, er North could be so strong without the Vikings?

xqj47alpha

Banned
I think the Lions should have tried for PM.

He wouldn't play in the NFC, so that's an obvious problem.

PM with the Lions would beat PM with the Elways.

And YES!

I'm saying the Lions still need a QB

gizzil

staff is just fine, when healthy and paired with megatron... and again, let's stop helping the freakin lions people, we need them to fade back into busterdom

ExperiencedRookie

I think Forte's outburst is a combination of a couple things.

This entire thread has been about money, and I totally get it. From the outside looking in, it's entirely a money thing. Forte has played hard for them, and the offense has literally flowed through him. He was stuck on a crappy rookie contract, paying him squat, and then essentially got **** on when time came for the team to "make it right" by him.

I don't think that's the whole issue though. I think Forte likes being a Bear. I think he's genuinely one of these guys who landed in a spot that he loves, and sees himself being a career Bear. I don't think he wants to go anywhere else, and is deeply saddened that he loves his team much more than his team loves him. This explains the Tweets when he's emotional about the situation. The team simply doesn't show him the love and respect that he wants so badly from them.

Fact of the matter is, he's going to be moving on. Best thing he can do is go out, play as hard as he can, collect his check for this year, and find a good landing spot in free agency next year. Maybe go play for GB and blast the Bears twice a year. ;)

gizzil

big time evaluation - we will pay him - he went the wrooong way though - at present take your 7plus

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Problem is, I don't think he goes anywhere. They can tag him again next year and avoid a long term commitment on the least important position in the NFL.

I think Forte's outburst is a combination of a couple things.

This entire thread has been about money, and I totally get it. From the outside looking in, it's entirely a money thing. Forte has played hard for them, and the offense has literally flowed through him. He was stuck on a crappy rookie contract, paying him squat, and then essentially got **** on when time came for the team to "make it right" by him.

I don't think that's the whole issue though. I think Forte likes being a Bear. I think he's genuinely one of these guys who landed in a spot that he loves, and sees himself being a career Bear. I don't think he wants to go anywhere else, and is deeply saddened that he loves his team much more than his team loves him. This explains the Tweets when he's emotional about the situation. The team simply doesn't show him the love and respect that he wants so badly from them.

Fact of the matter is, he's going to be moving on. Best thing he can do is go out, play as hard as he can, collect his check for this year, and find a good landing spot in free agency next year. Maybe go play for GB and blast the Bears twice a year. ;)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
if franchise tags were a part of the business world - im sure youd be happier than a ****ty pig (in the parlance of our times) to be making top 5 money at your job of all the people on the planet. also, i dont see the move is putting Forte anywhere but more in front, risking less injury on less carries - it also, though, took away much of his already dwindling leverage in contract negotiations. we woulda stood by him last year for sure in a holdout. but not for a guy making 7.4... sorry - oh, and 2013 he'll get tagged again - i'll feel even worse for him when he's making a guaranteed 8.7 mil
This is a narrow minded view. Here is why. If you or I in our business could be tagged, that ain't a big deal...why? Cause we don't face a career ending injury every time we do what we do. The issue with Tags is just that. It is to me even more key for the playmakers. You get big money....for one year. You go and play, and make the big moves and risks and survive you know what you get? Yep, quite possibly another one year deal. Its a no win proposition. Fact is you will get hurt and drop value at some point.

I can see why Brees and Forte are ticked. They are one snap away from end of career, and maybe even being a normal human being. You bust your butt, and you take the risks with no long term protection. Yes, tags are there to be used, its a business move. I got it. Doesn't mean Forte and Brees don't have a great point.

deuce4321

Driller
We are talking about millions of dollars. If the team trys to grt a long term deal and you overvalue your self the team has to tag you before the deadline or risk you walking as a fa. If these guys don't want to be tagged they need to negotiate deals before the tag deadline.

RLLD

We are talking about millions of dollars. If the team trys to grt a long term deal and you overvalue your self the team has to tag you before the deadline or risk you walking as a fa. If these guys don't want to be tagged they need to negotiate deals before the tag deadline.

In essence, yes. Forte is ****ed but if he gobbled up millions of their dollars, then stopped performing its not like he would give that coin back, oh no...... When he wants his money its all business, when the team tries to save some money, its suddenly personal. What Forte and his ilk fail to understand is that by freeing up money they can then spend it to make the TEAM better instead of just HIS bank account.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So they should take less? That is :bs:

Oh, and it isn't always the player that holds up long term negotiations chief.

RLLD

So they should take less? That is :bs:

Oh, and it isn't always the player that holds up long term negotiations chief.

Is Forte getting more now? No he is not, so let him waste potentially millions in compensation to hold out for more later, instead of just making it now.