Marinelli-gate columnist resigns

Was Rob Parker's comment wrong?

• Total voters

Mike

Administrator
I clearly think this guy was out of line (and I have no kids).

This was clearly and over the line insult, and the only reason he says that he was trying to lighten things up is because his insulting comment didn't go overlooked this time.

If you say something like this among friends, in a joking manner, that is one thing. Friends can decide for themselves if they are concerned about comments like that.

When you make a stupid comment like this in front of the press, when you are supposed to be a professional, and supposed to be acting like one, you are completely crossing the line. Might be OK for staged wrestling interviews, but for real life, this is unacceptable.

This media guy should have been fired long before he ever got the opportunity to make this idiotic comment and purposely embarrass Marinelli and his family.

Marinelli's coaching ability isn't even a factor in this conversation.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
the over-reactions here are classic, really are. And saying I feel this way b/c I don't have kids is a complete joke. It's short sighted and in as poor of taste as the comment you are taking offense to. He started the comment by saying "on a lighter note".....JOKE....sounds like a lot of people need to learn how to take one.

Also, as far as the resignation, in an interview this was a buy out that was motivated not by the comment but by an ownership change at the paper. It was the reported who sought to get out of the contract, not the paper.

And yes, this guy is annoying, I don't care for him, but as far as the comment goes, damn I'm shocked everyone is so damn uptight about this.....oh no, don't joke about my son-in-law......

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
This was clearly and over the line insult, and the only reason he says that he was trying to lighten things up is because his insulting comment didn't go overlooked this time.
This is just not true. Before he asked the question he stated "on a lighter note".....looks like it was painfully obvious it was not an insult and it was a joke; if not, he would not have stated on a lighter note.

Look at the whole story and the who picture instead of just over reacting to the picture the media has painted on this one...

So you can say anything you want if you preface it by saying "on a lighter note"?

On a lighter note. I hear Miller has a thing for park benches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
The Detroit newspaper industry is just about dead. I bet this helps Parker more than hurts him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him on ESPN more or write for Yahoo or some other online outfit.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So you can say anything you want if you preface it by saying "on a lighter note"?

On a lighter note. I hear Miller has a thing for park benches.
When you do, it's probably means they are simply joking and probably should not take it very seriously....

And say anything??? Not going that far....but what the guy said was not hateful or vulger and not malicious...... To act like he somehow viciously attacked this moron's family is ludicrous....

Anyways, looks like I'm in the minority and everyone took great offense to this, I'm just glad I'm not one that did....

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
When you do, it's probably means they are simply joking and probably should not take it very seriously....

And say anything??? Not going that far....but what the guy said was not hateful or vulger and not malicious...... To act like he somehow viciously attacked this moron's family is ludicrous....

Anyways, looks like I'm in the minority and everyone took great offense to this, I'm just glad I'm not one that did....
On a lighter note, you are either rediculously niave, or just plain stupid.

No, on second thought, that is not on a lighter note...I think it is dead spot on.

just saying "on a lighter note" does not automatically show intent. This guy is a jerk, has been a jerk in the past. You are awful silly to ASSUME you knew his intent.

JScott

Administrator
From everything I've read about Parker, he's an A-class jerk. And regardless of prefacing his comment with "on a lighter note", it was not the right time, and it still didn't come across as a joke. With all the frayed nerves in the room, and for him to supposedly be a professional he should have known better that it wouldn't have come across as humor. And given his reputation and personality, IMO he knew exactly how it would come across and now just looks more smug by saying "on a lighter note" when, again IMO, he fully intended to take a jab at Marinelli.... But all that being said I don't think he needed to be fired.

Mike

Administrator
Things you do in the past effect how you are looked upon in regards to things you do in the present.

Pacman Jones gets into an altercation, at a private party, where he actually didn't even provoke the fight, he gets suspended. Any other player, it is never even brought to the desk of the commish. Nobody seems to have a problem with that.

O.J. Simpson just got thrown in prison, for several years, over something very petty. You can't tell me this sentence didn't include thoughts about a previous non-conviction. Nobody really seemed to have a problem with this either.

This media guy has done nothing but abuse Marinelli all season long, while Marinelli has done nothing but be a Class A person in these interviews. This guy did whatever he could to crack Marinelli, and it finally happened. The comment may not seem like a big one to some, but the bottom line is this guy has been unprofessionally jabbing all season long and the situation finally boiled over to the point of Marinelli speaiking out.

To Marinelli's credit, had this happened during the middle of the season, he probably stil wouldn't have said anything. The man refused to get into things like this with the media during the season, and regardless what his team's record is, I commend him for his extremely professional and respectful attitude.