Kolb wants to start or wants out

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Kolb is in his last year of that contract. Guess i was more looking ahead to the following season.

#1bears fan

I think the best place for him to go is AZ. He's got talent but PHI will burn that city down if Vick goes anywhere. Personally Id hold onto him for one more year!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Probably wont see a move on anything until they are 100% sure about the labor situation. No one would trade for him right now unless he signs a long term deal. If they wait till the work stoppage ends, I believe Kolb would be a Free Agent.

Hawks Eye

Master of Inexpertise
I would like to see Seattle take a look at Kolb. Hasselbeck should be done after this season. Whitehurst looked good against the Rams Week 17, but that's the only game he's looked that good in, and.. it was against the Rams. I think Kolb could work well in Seattle.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Hell of an idea. Pete only totally gave a 3rd rounder for him, trading second round picks with San Diego, which strangely enough now gives Seattle a higher second round pick LOL.

Whitehurst has one year left on his deal. Kolb might do well with Carroll, if he doesnt try to get Leinart.

Hawks Eye

Master of Inexpertise
Everything I've seen doesn't look like Carroll's looking at Leinart. Whitehurst may have the potential, but with Kolb there, he'd have to fight to show it. And I'd love to have a decent starter and a fired up backup instead of an unproven backup taking over for a washed up starter.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
have you guys been watching a different kevin kolb than i?

again, phic, everyone likes to bring up his 2 300 yd starts... but did you watch these games? because i did.

game 1 = phi vs NOS
1st half kolb was 10/14 for 130 yd and 1TD... not bad i guess. d.jax had a 77yd TD rec (score NO 17/PHI 13 at the half)

late in the 3rd Q, the eagles were down 34-16 to the saints after 17 unanswered points, (including a nice series where kolb went 3/7 64 yds--his best of the game so far except for d.jax play, but capped with an INT. THEN

kolb 3/4 32 yds TD (34-23)
NO punt
kolb 0/2 punt
NO TD (41-23)
kolb 7/9 66 yds 5 min drive turned over on downs
NO safety (brees fumbles out of end zone) (41-25)
kolb 4/6 61 yds INT sharper pick 6 (47-25) 2:30 min drive
kolb 2/4 32 yds INT

soooo... in summary, of those 391 yds, 191 were in garbage time. plus they were almost exclusively dinks and dunks, eating up a lot of clock. i think the saints preferred the completions for that reason.

ok, game 2 phi vs KC (this is the 2009 chiefs remember, not the new and improved version)

i agree here, kolb had a monster game. 24/34 for 327 yds and 2TDs, plus a rushing TD
but KC was HORRENDOUS!!!

what do these 2 games show me? not much. i'm not saying that kolb doesn't have talent, or that he won't improve. but i'm just sick and tired of hearing about his 300yd starts. they were crap and don't mean anything to me.

kolb played well this year against atlanta, yes, but he was stinky against the redskins, average against the 49ers, and disappointing against the titans

i like the guy and i wish him the best. i'd love for him to stay in philly behind vick. but do i want to trade vick and keep kolb? NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Are you? No worries with how he fell flat later in the season past that one magic quarter against NY or the body breaking down?

Yes, I do think having Vick makes the Eagles contenders. I can say without a doubt, that had Vick not been the Qb this year, they wouldn't be where they are. Why? Simply his legs. The Off. Line for Philly is atrocious. It has started to gel more lately, but we have a round robbin at RT and our C play has struggled due to injuries. I don't think Kolb was ready for all that pressure. Vick was, and is. If you are going to refuse to run, and must pass as Reid and Morningweg insist on doing, then Vick was the best option.

But, yes at the end of the season teams were figuring Vick out. Will he be as successful next year? Can he hold up to a whole pre-season and season next year? No, I don't think so. Which is why I would like to see them tag him, then deal him....and get some great value for him.

One other caveat here. They have another rookie Qb on the roster, Kafka. He is a kid out of Northwestern I believe. He is another kolb, but with a bit more accuracy. So if they are high enough on him...they might be able to deal Kolb or Vick. Or let Vick go.

eaglechick

wow! you think it was just his legs? how many attempts has kolb made over 20 yds? 10? i don't know the numbers, but i bet it's not many.

vick does a lot of things for this team. you guys seem to be forgetting also that we almost won that wild card game (sarge). that is despite poor coaching decisions, missed FGs, and a horrible defense. and yes, vick did have tough games against chicago and minny, but come on. kolb's excellent numbers ala KC2009 were an average day for vick this year.

imo he has every chance to be even better next year with the entire off-season to work with the team and an offensive strategy really built around him (not to mention blind side protection perhaps?)

you guys are just haters.

Phicinfan

Administrator
have you guys been watching a different kevin kolb than i?

again, phic, everyone likes to bring up his 2 300 yd starts... but did you watch these games? because i did.

game 1 = phi vs NOS
1st half kolb was 10/14 for 130 yd and 1TD... not bad i guess. d.jax had a 77yd TD rec (score NO 17/PHI 13 at the half)

late in the 3rd Q, the eagles were down 34-16 to the saints after 17 unanswered points, (including a nice series where kolb went 3/7 64 yds--his best of the game so far except for d.jax play, but capped with an INT. THEN

kolb 3/4 32 yds TD (34-23)
NO punt
kolb 0/2 punt
NO TD (41-23)
kolb 7/9 66 yds 5 min drive turned over on downs
NO safety (brees fumbles out of end zone) (41-25)
kolb 4/6 61 yds INT sharper pick 6 (47-25) 2:30 min drive
kolb 2/4 32 yds INT

soooo... in summary, of those 391 yds, 191 were in garbage time. plus they were almost exclusively dinks and dunks, eating up a lot of clock. i think the saints preferred the completions for that reason.
I absolutely love how folks like the use the word garbage time. As assuming that means the defense has totally given up, and the Qb for the opposing team just gets to do what he wants. :biglaugh:
I notice you don't mention anywhere above that this was his FIRST start, that he was a complete understudy with McNabb insisting on getting all reps in practice except this week where he was injured. Kid came out against what was THEN the #1 defense. And all I get in response is .....he got yards in garbage time. :rolleyes: So, you only want him if he blows up?!?!!? And wins every game? Please go see Peyton Manning's first year, or Aikman's or John Elway's....and come back to me with this okay?

Eaglechick said:
ok, game 2 phi vs KC (this is the 2009 chiefs remember, not the new and improved version)

i agree here, kolb had a monster game. 24/34 for 327 yds and 2TDs, plus a rushing TD
but KC was HORRENDOUS!!!
So, you won't give him credit against a top defense, and when he shines as he should against a weak one you still won't give him credit? Man....I hope Marino gets re-incarnated for you soon.

Eaglechick said:
what do these 2 games show me? not much. i'm not saying that kolb doesn't have talent, or that he won't improve. but i'm just sick and tired of hearing about his 300yd starts. they were crap and don't mean anything to me.

kolb played well this year against atlanta, yes, but he was stinky against the redskins, average against the 49ers, and disappointing against the titans

i like the guy and i wish him the best. i'd love for him to stay in philly behind vick. but do i want to trade vick and keep kolb? NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!
Good for you, I hope you stand up and eat some crow when Vick comes crashing down cause he was stupid, ran diving head first and gets killed next season if they keep him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
wow! you think it was just his legs? how many attempts has kolb made over 20 yds? 10? i don't know the numbers, but i bet it's not many.
How much time did the O-line give him to make those throws for Kolb? Seriously...Vick's legs ARE the help. Not his head.

Eaglechick said:
vick does a lot of things for this team. you guys seem to be forgetting also that we almost won that wild card game (sarge). that is despite poor coaching decisions, missed FGs, and a horrible defense. and yes, vick did have tough games against chicago and minny, but come on. kolb's excellent numbers ala KC2009 were an average day for vick this year.
Did I say Vick sucked? Did I NOT just type that he makes the team a contender now? But if you don't let Kolb take over, and learn....what good is it to keep him? Seriously?

Eaglechick said:
imo he has every chance to be even better next year with the entire off-season to work with the team and an offensive strategy really built around him (not to mention blind side protection perhaps?)

you guys are just haters.

Un fricken real. I am a hater cause I don't want to keep Vick. Kiss my butt. I like Vick, and have said time and again that he made the Eagles what they were. But you cannot live on a Qb that puts his butt out there that often. He will get killed. Its the NFL, not college. Build up the O-line, and see what happens.

Again, if they find a way to keep both, okay. But I have to give Kolb the credit you won't. He did nothing but be a team guy, and do exactly what the team needed when he was benched....after an injury no less. Vick came in, and did what few could do, and he got to start due to it. I also give Andy credit to make that tough call. But Vick is NOT the long term answer at QB for Philly. If they deal Kolb, and Vick gets killed, as he WILL, not maybe.... we are screwed next year.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Vick did a nice job of protecting himself when tucking and running (running out of bounds, not taking full hits..). He's 31, right? Not really old in quarterback terms. If they put some work into the offensive line, he'll take fewer hits from blitzers and give you guys some nice years.

Kolb bided his time and wants to start. Eagles should cash in on him and Reid can move on to the next backup quarterback. I mean Reid is to QBs what Shanahan is to RBs. Reid made Feeley look good, and Garcia look good after years of looking pretty bad.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Also, I may quit football if we sign Leinart.

Leinart is awful. I read a quote from Leinart yesterday, can't remember where I read it. But he said he should be starting in the NFL because he was behind Kurt Warner for three years. Leinart thinks he is entitled to whatever he wants. He has no work ethic and will never succeed as a starting quarterback in the NFL.

eaglechick

i have never said i didn't think kolb is a stand-up guy, or that he doesn't have some talent. in fact, i love the guy. as you stated, he handled the situation this year as classily as it is humanly possible, and he gets my utmost respect for that (he also was paid $11 million to be a good sport). as i said before, i'd love for him to stay on the eagles. he's a very capable backup, and i agree with you that vick's style is risky.

however, everyone likes to throw around the first two starts 300 yds, and while i know stats are stats, i watched those games. the saints gave up tons of dinks and dunks over the middle that padded kolb's yardage and burned the clock. we were never in danger of winning that game, and everyone knew it. the KC game was awesome and a lot of fun, and again i never said kolb wasn't any good! just not the second coming (and come on you have to agree with me).

one of the things that bugs me about kolb (in my limited experience of him playing) is that he can't seem to move things quickly. he's able to engineer multiple-play, clock-burning drives, but that doesn't help us particulary when you have a defense like ours was this year.

here is what i think of kolb. he's a moderately mobile, short-range accurate passer. he's very smart, and seems to command team respect. if you want to talk about injury risk, i think we also have to bring up that he got knocked out of his very first start this season.

vick is extremely mobile, accurate over a variety of passing distances, and a game changer. i know you're tired of hearing about it, but come on, he makes every play exciting. do you think kolb could even dream of staging a comeback like MMII (miracle at the meadowlands II)? any other QBs for that matter? he definitely runs the risk of getting injured every game, but he also plays tough and i think if he has better protection he will settle down in the pocket as he did at the beginning-middle of the season. btw he's only 30 and missed 2 seasons. i don#t see any reason he can't play well for at least another 3-4 years. that's a long time in the nfl, isn't it?

we've been annual contenders now for 10 years and we need something more to take us all the way. vick seems to be capable of providing that extra something. kolb does not.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Personally I think EC is the only self declared Eagles fan on this thread that has their head screwed on straight. Kolb might be great someday but he's done nothing to prove it. Vick is playing at an unreal level right now, there's no might about it. An old saying says that a bird in the hand beats two in the bush. If you can't keep but one for whatever reason it has to be Vick or there will be a mutiny of the likes not seen in ages.

eaglechick

ok, just for tickles and grins (to use phic's expression ;)), i decided to turn to the stats to explain my preference for vick :)rolleyes:)

kolb has started 7 games in his career, vick has started 13 with the eagles. i'll choose kolb's 4 best (statistical) games (3W, 1L) versus vick's worst 4 games (1W, 3L) towards the end of this season. sorry i don't have the ratings doing the stats by hand

KOLB
vs. NOS (2009) 31/51 391 yd 2TD/3int 1 rush for -6 (loss)
vs. KC (2009) 24/34 327 yd 2TD 1r/1 (win)
vs SF (wk 5) 21/31 253 yd 1TD 3r/17 1FL (win)
vs. ATL (wk 6) 23/29 326 3TD/1int 2r/1 (win)

VICK
vs. GB (WC) 20/36 292 yd 1TD/1int 8r/32 (loss)
vs. Minn (wk 16) 25/43 263 yd 1TD/1int 8r/63 1TD (loss)
vs. Dal (wk 14) 16/26 270 yd 2TD/2int 8r/16 1TD (win)
vs. Chi (wk 12) 29/44 333 yd 2TD/1int 9r/44 4FL (loss)

vick's "bad" weeks are still pretty damn good.