Kolb wants to start or wants out

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Not real surprising. He has shown some flashes when he starts. IF they got him a decent O-line, he would be very solid.

Honestly, I would love to see him get to start in Philly, as I don't see Vick as the long term answer. They will tag him, and he will not be happy on that. Then again, Kolb only has a year left on his deal, at a very cheap 1.4 million. So he could get some wicked good value in a trade.

I would much rather see him stay though, and Vick go. :sigh:

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Didnt they have more money in Vick this past season than Kolb? And honestly wasn't Vick the wonder boy of the league this year? Comeback player or something? Hearing all the praise about him on espn, you'd think half of them are blowing him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Flashes is right as far as what he has shown. The gig was his this season and he couldn't hold it.

He started one game, got hurt in that game vs. the Packers, a top defense, with an absolutly horrible O-line. He is somewhat mobile, but not near as mobile as Vick. Vick kept the job, cause he had the legs to protect himself.

When Vick was injured, Kolb did okay. He is young, and needs experience.

Vick isn't old, and he is one stupid dive away from being on IR.

Give me Kolb, and a fix on the O-line. Let the other Qb needy teams worry about Vick's health.

deuce4321

Driller
i think philly should keep kolb as a backup to vick for WHEN he goes down for a few games next season. He is very cheap next season and they front loaded his contract so they can benefit.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
He started one game, got hurt in that game vs. the Packers, a top defense, with an absolutly horrible O-line. He is somewhat mobile, but not near as mobile as Vick. Vick kept the job, cause he had the legs to protect himself.

When Vick was injured, Kolb did okay. He is young, and needs experience.

Vick isn't old, and he is one stupid dive away from being on IR.

Give me Kolb, and a fix on the O-line. Let the other Qb needy teams worry about Vick's health.

That's all true PhiCin yet so is this, Kolb has had less than a handful of "good" games in his career. I'm not saying that he can't be a good QB in the NFL but I am saying that thus far he has not been.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
That's all true PhiCin yet so is this, Kolb has had less than a handful of "good" games in his career. I'm not saying that he can't be a good QB in the NFL but I am saying that thus far he has not been.

vick is also clearly the leader that the eagles have been lacking, and boy was it fun to watch him this year! kolb has not impressed me on the field. his 300 yd games last year were against the saints (garbage time) and against a terrible KC. this year i admit he played decently against atlanta, but... a lot of times he looks like a deer in the headlights. with vick we are contenders. without him, we are working towards the future

Phicinfan

Administrator

:wtf: He was the first rookie qb to have his first two starts in a row go for over 300 yards. He has solid backing by the team, had firm control of the huddle by all accounts. The team was behind both. I would argue with you he has not been a good qb yet.

Phicinfan

Administrator
vick is also clearly the leader that the eagles have been lacking, and boy was it fun to watch him this year! kolb has not impressed me on the field. his 300 yd games last year were against the saints (garbage time) and against a terrible KC. this year i admit he played decently against atlanta, but... a lot of times he looks like a deer in the headlights. with vick we are contenders. without him, we are working towards the future

Vick we are contenders yes. Have to agree. Starting Kolb we are looking to the future, again I agree. I just don't agree that looking to the future, means we lose now.

Lets look at this objectively. The best option would be to tag Vick, and keep Kolb as back up. They were close friends, and got along well, and put the team first. Will that happen again? How will Vick respond to a tag, instead of the long term deal he wants? dunno: What about Kolb, he wants to start, he was basically promised it by Reid with the deal of McNabb. Can he be a team first guy again, and take a back seat? Potentially for longer if Vick repeats and Philly signs him long term? dunno:

My only point is this. I don't see Vick as a long term option, and if one has to go, I would rather see vick go. Obviously that is just me.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Vick has a history of making poor choices. Even after he turned things around, he still threw a party where someone was shot, allegedly after hitting Vick with cake.

He is a dynamic player, but I really dont see the Eagles being comfortable making him the "face" of the franchise and giving him a massive contract. No one really thinks Vick's body will hold up to an 18 game schedule either.

Kolb, in my opinion, did well with when he got a shot. He is a young QB. There will be growing pains. It happens. Andy and the Philly faithful have to accept a 6-10 dud is going to happen at some point, its just the nature of the business unless you're the Patriots.

So......Kolb is just goint to have to deal with holding the clipboard a couple more games, or being a free man in 2012 and writing his own check at a different QB difficient franchise.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
My only point is this. I don't see Vick as a long term option, and if one has to go, I would rather see vick go. Obviously that is just me.

Its not just you. I also see Kevin Kolb as the more favorable long-term option because so much of Vick's game is based on athleticism and he will be 31 next season. The way Vick plays also tends more towards injury and even after a bye week (cowboys) he looked sluggish in a wild card home game.

I don't mean to diminish Vick's play this season, but Kevin Kolb also impressed me a great deal. I think Kolb has the potential to be really good and I hate to say it but we may have cost the team by benching him this year.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Kolb is young and just needs game experience. Let him go thru his ups and downs and occassional struggles. See if he learns from his game time mistakes and improves. If the Eagles give him a chance to grow and learn and he has a good year , he'll bring in more value for a trade if thats what they do or it will bring in a big contract for him elsewhere. Too many teams needing QBs this coming season and with him wanting to start, going to be hard for Philly to keep him and Vick after next year. He might even get lucky and get out this year. So many teams would be so much better with him, they just might go for it. Arizona, SF , Jax, Detroit, Minny, and Cincy to name a few.