Gonzo is a Dirty Bird - Official

Runnik's Hambones

KC doesn't have any picks in the 2nd round.

My mistake, not exactly sure who I was thinking about in the 2nd round. Perhaps the Pats/KC deal and I got confused for a sec.

Not unlikely though that they could grab a late 2nd round pick for Gonzo from Atlanta if they deal him.

Personally I don't think he's going anwhere.

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
You might be able to come up with an example, or two, of a TE (or a wideout for that matter) that changed teams and didn't miss a step productivity wise, but fantasy football history clearly shows that Gonzo won't match last years production. Hell, he'd have had a hard enough time matching last years productivity staying in KC with the same QB, let alone a new team, system, and QB.

Exactly....

ExperiencedRookie

Regardless of fantasy value, KC needs Gonzo. He has to play security blanket for Cassel as learns the offense. Kind of like a Welker in 08 of sorts.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Fox is reporting it. I like what the Falcons are doing with the "new" team. Gonzo will do nothing but thrive with Matt Ryan at QB. Ryan's value goes up, too. Great move as Gonzo has at least 2 good years left.

Linkage

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
This all but eliminates the possibility they take Pettigrew on Saturday, as well.

After watching an NFL network show on the Falcons this season pre-draft it looks like they will go defense or wr in round one. A defensive end or linebacker that can rush the passer would be a heck of a compliment.

ExperiencedRookie

I don't know what to make of this deal. For the present, it is certainly a huge blow. Matt Cassel is just stepping in and has already lost his surest target. We don't even get anything to show for it this year.

In turn, Atlanta will probably have a solid season and a late round pick, meaning the value the Chiefs get for Tony is slim at best.

But, Tony will be retired in 2 years, in which case the Chiefs would have receiving nothing for him. At least this way we'll have something to show for it. That pick danm well better be nothing short of stellar next year.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i think its an outstanding deal for the chiefs. they are not going to win now, and they are getting a 2nd round pick (which is about as much as you get for anyone these days) for a guy who is clearly on his last tread at this point.

i cant see atlanta drafting a WR at this point. with roddy white and tony g, jenkins can suffice as a third target. they will either beef up the line or, more likely, work heavily on that defense. if matt ryan takes another step forward this year, this team could be an nfc favorite.

Runnik's Hambones

Crap. As a Bucs fan, I'm freaking out. You stop Michael Turner by stacking the box. Do you dare do that now? HELL NO! Now you have to rely on simple, fundamental football to beat that offense. Pressure the hell out of Matt when he drops back, stay home if you're a backside LB/CB/DE, DTs MUST plug their gaps, and mistackles are now unacceptable.

Atlanta can heavily focus on defense now. A few names that could possibly be on the board at #24

Vontae Davis
Robert Ayers
Larry English
Clint Smith
Sean Smith

efactor

Coming at you
OK. Why not keep Gonzo this year and trade him next year for a 2nd rounder in 2010? If he has a good season, which he probably would have in KC, he still would have been very tradable next year.

Don't get this move from the KC side of the fence.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I'm pretty disappointed that the Eagles didn't make a stronger bid for him than a 3rd rounder. Tight End is a major problem for our team right now and I feel that Gonzalez has several high-quality years left in the tank.

Matt Ryan is quickly becoming an elite fantasy QB for 2009 drafts.

The Chiefs drafted Brad Cottam last year and in the few games he played he did pretty well. I think he could be very good and don't think the Chiefs take any TE in the draft this year.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Crap. As a Bucs fan, I'm freaking out. You stop Michael Turner by stacking the box. Do you dare do that now? HELL NO! Now you have to rely on simple, fundamental football to beat that offense. Pressure the hell out of Matt when he drops back, stay home if you're a backside LB/CB/DE, DTs MUST plug their gaps, and mistackles are now unacceptable.

Atlanta can heavily focus on defense now. A few names that could possibly be on the board at #24

Vontae Davis
Robert Ayers
Larry English
Clint Smith
Sean Smith

Exactamundo. Although Davis isn't a consideration for them due to his diva attitude. They like Jenkins, though, and would do well to upgrade at secondary or defensive end.

dukdown

Banned
Well, if the Chiefs were ever going to be entering into a draft needing a receiving-type TE, this is the perfect draft for them.