FA has is beginning in the NFL - what is happening and what is rumored

ExperiencedRookie

About to be announced, Dallas will release Tony Romo today, but he is reported as stepping away from playing and will sign soon with CBS or Fox to do play by play in the booth instead.

Houston is now about to really look at Cutler???
I can't help but wonder how many great broadcasters with tons of experience and a degree in the business got passed over so Romo could get this coveted job.

Secondly, what the heck is Houston going to do at QB now?? Call Matt Schaub??

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I can't help but wonder how many great broadcasters with tons of experience and a degree in the business got passed over so Romo could get this coveted job.

Secondly, what the heck is Houston going to do at QB now?? Call Matt Schaub??
Matt Schaub is signed as the back up in Atlanta.
Tom Savage right now is the #1 Qb in Houston, with Brandon Weeden as the back up.

so my gut says, even if they had gotten Romo, they will draft this year the future Qb.

the only question is, do they use Savage as the bridge, or do you get a Kaepernick or Cutler to be that bridge.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Eagles trade their 3rd round pick in 2017(74th over all pick) to Baltimore for Timmy Jernigan DE, and Ravens 99th 2017 over all pick.

So Eagles get player for 25 slot drop.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Cutler might do OK with a decent team around him. Bears never gave him a decent O-line and he was brutalized on a weekly basis.
I actually like Cutler in Houston. He will have a solid Rb to rely on, incredible Wrs and an O-line to keep him off his back. Plus a defense that can win games for him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So, as an ongoing story....how the Rb churns......We last left with a rumor that Marshawn Lynch was willing to unretire, and play for Raiders. Evidently this is really a thing.

First Seattle gave permission to Oakland to talk to Lynch.
Lynch has since spent the day with Oakland, and supposedly said he is ready, willing and able.

however, there is a caveat. Seattle still owns the rights to Marshawn, as they never released him, and instead placed him on retired list. So Oakland will have to trade to get Lynch from Seattle.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NE re-signs Brandon Bolden Rb

Plus, rumor are flush that NE is looking to add Richard Sherman cb Sea to their roster.

There is a ton of smoke here about Seattle willing to talk trade on Sherman, so I won't be surprised if it really happens.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Hawks can cut Lynch to save the huge cap hit they'll suffer if he un-retires and then he'll be free to go anywhere or as you say the Raiders could trade for him.

Sherman has zero chance of landing with the Pats unless they work a deal that sends/allows Butler to land in New Orleans.

Phicinfan

Administrator
QB news:
Philly signs Matt McGloin formerly of Oakland - as 3rd stringer
Buffalo signs T.J. Yates to be back up for Tyrod.

also , Buffalo has been doing the QB rounds - having had D.Watson and Trubisky in for one on one meetings and work outs.

Phicinfan

Administrator
QB news:
Philly signs Matt McGloin formerly of Oakland - as 3rd stringer
Buffalo signs T.J. Yates to be back up for Tyrod.

also , Buffalo has been doing the QB rounds - having had D.Watson and Trubisky in for one on one meetings and work outs.
Add D.Kizer to that QB mix as well

Phicinfan

Administrator
Lynch may be interested in the Pats. I'm not sure he and the coach would get along but who knows?
I am thinking this is leverage to push Oakland to push to get him. I don't see him wanting to play in NE, he wants to stay on west coast.

KillerFins

Staff member
Good luck with that. Glad he seemed to get his life straight, but somehow during that time he multiple knee surgeries. Put on 30 lbs and lost all the explosiveness he had shown in his limited time. Also had time picking up the playbook. But he had a few moments that showed that he had the potential to be a special player. But immaturity, inconsistency, bad decisions and perhaps a bit of bad luck derailed what could have been a promising career.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
While he is not a FA...Marshawn Lynch has started the reinstatement process in order to start playing in the NFL again, reports ESPN.com's Ed Werder.

KillerFins

Staff member
Process? There isn't really a process, all he needs to do is to send a letter to the Commissioner expressing an intent to return. And word is that he hasn't done that yet. Once he did the Seahawks would be on the hook for his $9 million dollar salary. If the Raiders trade for him, I'd guess is that they would just switch late round picks.

LINK