Carolina QB Situation

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Can you say Akili Smith??? I knew you could! :xpuke: :biglaugh: :nod:

LOL, who was worse akili smith or ryan leaf? Both sucked so bad can one really be worse than the other. Oh and cant forget the outlaws all time favorite fk up, Jamarrcus. haha

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
LOL, who was worse akili smith or ryan leaf? Both sucked so bad can one really be worse than the other. Oh and cant forget the outlaws all time favorite fk up, Jamarrcus. haha

I prefer the Akili comparison. They are both one year wonders.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Did either really have 1 good year that would make them wonders? not that i remember.

I don't think you can deny the year Cam had this year in college. It was huge, and he basically carried that team. As for Akili, the year he was drafted he was one of top performing Qbs in college. Again making Oregon a force in the Pac 10.

but neither will make nor did make NFL qbs.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
If cam is successful, then good for him. Just not going to buy into the hype til i see it. He seems to have the making, but alot of failed attempts did also, but does he have the mental maturity for it? Thats the problem i see him having really and teaching him pass first run second.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Dont think its fair to judge Clausen like that. Like said earlier he has no real weapons so hes a sitting duck behind a piss poor line. Not sure if a Brady or Brees could do much better really. Doesnt matter who is QB there right now, they have no one to give the ball off to. Hey he might suck really badly but until you give the guy a few weapons you really dont know for sure. No i dont think he is the "it" guy to run a team but it could be worse. At least Cleveland isnt the Bills. Besides they arent going anywhere anytime soon anyway so they might as rebuild and get players around so when they do get a QB he will be able to survive.

He had two good RBs and Steve Smith. Thats at least "something". Now that said, Clausen was a dick in college, he was a dick during the draft, and he is still a dick. Attitude can either overcome deficiencies or make a talented player suck. I dont know if Clausen really has talent, but he sure does have the suck down right.

MNJHNSN

I know I will hear it on this one but I think they should give Clausen one more year, draft Dareus, they will without doubt finish near the bottom again next year and hope that there are better Franchise QB prospects at next year`s draft.

bobbeaux

I know I will hear it on this one but I think they should give Clausen one more year, draft Dareus, they will without doubt finish near the bottom again next year and hope that there are better Franchise QB prospects at next year`s draft.

i tend to agree with you . . . ;)

Phicinfan

Administrator

I am NOT a Classen fan. That being said I agree with you that they need a different direction and do NOT go Newton or Gabbert.I would much rather see them grab a top DL, or Peterson or even Green over one of the Qbs. They will be in perfect position to grab a 2nd round Qb, Ponder, Mallett(my pick for them...), or Dalton.So i agree with you on that

mills

I am NOT a Classen fan. That being said I agree with you that they need a different direction and do NOT go Newton or Gabbert.I would much rather see them grab a top DL, or Peterson or even Green over one of the Qbs. They will be in perfect position to grab a 2nd round Qb, Ponder, Mallett(my pick for them...), or Dalton.So i agree with you on that

They do not have a 2nd round pick.

Remote Controller

This is the team that should take a shot at one year of McNabb. he would mix in well with Steve Smith, Shockey and an actual running game to help open up the deep ball.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Let me ask this question. Again, understand I am not a Claussen fan....

But think any teams learned from San Diego?

They get Brees, he has a rough start, they lose faith. They make a draft day deal to get Rivers, but want to let him develop. So they keep starting Brees and look what happens. Now, they made the situation worse by not trading Brees, and instead letting him go for free in FA. Now, do I think Claussen CAN do this. No. Why? Cause if they do deal Smith, and they don't get a real Wr in there, I don't care if you are Joe Montana, you will suck.

So, I would much rather see Carolina take Green, or a much needed DL. Get the O-line back and healthy, run the damn ball, and get a top flight Wr and keep Smith. Give Claussen the chance. If he fails...guess what? You are in line to get Luck next year. Win/win IMO.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Luck is definitly in a league of his own. I can easily see him having early success like Bradford is having.

mills

Let me ask this question. Again, understand I am not a Claussen fan....

But think any teams learned from San Diego?

They get Brees, he has a rough start, they lose faith. They make a draft day deal to get Rivers, but want to let him develop. So they keep starting Brees and look what happens. Now, they made the situation worse by not trading Brees, and instead letting him go for free in FA. Now, do I think Claussen CAN do this. No. Why? Cause if they do deal Smith, and they don't get a real Wr in there, I don't care if you are Joe Montana, you will suck.

So, I would much rather see Carolina take Green, or a much needed DL. Get the O-line back and healthy, run the damn ball, and get a top flight Wr and keep Smith. Give Claussen the chance. If he fails...guess what? You are in line to get Luck next year. Win/win IMO.

I like this mode of thinking. I personally think we have a decent group of young WRs. Gettis is a good size and speed and has decent hands, jury is still out on Lafel. Not sure if I would keep Smith around if I drafted Green though... That guys seems to be a disease, never been much of a fan. He would really have to prove that he isn't going to ruin Green before I let him stay around.