Carolina QB Situation

bobbeaux

So many "guru" sites are now expecting the Panthers to take a qb with their #1 pick and I'm thinking why would they want to do that? I'm not a big fan of the panthers or even follow them very much, but I'm starting to feel the qb talk from the team may be more of a smokescreen to get someone to trade up.

I mean, they drafted Clausen and Pike (IR) last year . . . were they that far off in their scounting on those guys? Or was it more that the offense as a whole kinda gave up on the team/coach last year? They've also got Matt Moore . . . do they really want to add another rookie to this batch? And according to the "guru's", none of these rookies are ready to be thrown into the fire . . . hell, even Clausen wasn't ready and they knew that, but was forced into it due to injuries.

I understand new regimes and wanting their own guy, but they've got a lot more concerns than a need for a qb. I feel they'd be another one of the teams that would benefit from looking for "the franchise qb" next year when the crop appears to be quite a bit better. The combine and pro days can't be making these qb's that much better than originally determined from live action.

Another point of note . . . the Panthers only have 5 picks in the draft and are without a 2nd rounder . . . and they could really use 3 DL's . . . I'm just not feeling a qb is their pick. But, that's just my opinion . . . what do ya'll think?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Personally I think that they were that far off in their scounting on those guys? IMO they do not have a legitimate starting QB on their roster.

bobbeaux

I don't really think they have a "franchise" qb on their roster, but they haven't had one since their inception if you ask me. Delhomme exceeded many expectations getting them to the super bowl and then what have they had. This teams been built on a strong running game and defense as of late and they've been searching for a #2 wr since muhammed was there the 1st go around. Will they really go for another qb with so many other needs?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I spoke on this in another thread.
'
http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/f2/first-pick-2011-national-football-league-draft-37966/

My post:

Matt Moore is in the final months of a 1 year, $3.043 million contract.

Jimmy Clausen is in the first year of a 4 year contract with only $2.53 million guarenteed.

Tony Pike is in the first year of a four year contract, cant find the money other than none of it is guarenteed.

In short, the Panthers only have about $2.5 million tied up in QB contracts. They can easily move on a frachise QB in the 2011 Draft. That team NEEDS a reliable guy under center. As the year is already lost, I would have spent the week getting Pike ready and seeing what he can do with a full game.

The problems with that are John Fox and Steve Smith. Throwing a young QB out to work with Steve Smith is like throwing a young QB out to work with Terrell Owens. Fox is gone after his contract expires at the end of the year, so what does he care about seeing the future.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I posted that last November.

Basically with so little tied up in QBs they can easily afford to jettison Clausen and take a shot with Newton, especially with a rookie pay scale in place.

bobbeaux

I posted that last November.

Basically with so little tied up in QBs they can easily afford to jettison Clausen and take a shot with Newton, especially with a rookie pay scale in place.

i hear what you are saying and thanks for linking to the other thread . . . but why throw another unproven guy to the wolves when you've already got 2 . . . they would do the whole team a better service rebuilding the lines before trying to grab another qb . . . and also, get whoever's at qb more weapons . . . shockey is a start, but they can do better than that.

mills

I'm beginning to feel the pick is going to be Newton. As a Panther fan and Charlotte native, I support the pick purely based on the excitement factor. The Carolina Panthers are a snoozefest to watch and with the RBs we have (even with the possibility of Williams gone) our running game will be insane with Newton . Charlotte/Panthers fans need something to be excited about and a DL/DE doesn't do that. AJ Green could bring something exciting.... as long as Steve Smith isn't around t screw him up but personally, I think a QB is what we need whether it be Newton or Gabbert.

bobbeaux

I'm beginning to feel the pick is going to be Newton. As a Panther fan and Charlotte native, I support the pick purely based on the excitement factor. The Carolina Panthers are a snoozefest to watch and with the RBs we have (even with the possibility of Williams gone) our running game will be insane with Newton . Charlotte/Panthers fans need something to be excited about and a DL/DE doesn't do that. AJ Green could bring something exciting.... as long as Steve Smith isn't around t screw him up but personally, I think a QB is what we need whether it be Newton or Gabbert.

the fans would probably get more excited by winning games, but they can't stop anyone from scoring right now . . . i really think the qb talk and workouts are due dilegence and smokescreens . . . they'd do well to trade down, but if they don't/can't, they need to rebuild, imho.

i also feel the media sites/guru's are trying to force them into picking a qb (gabbert/newton) and then if it doesn't pan out, they'll say "well we knew it was a reach, they should have picked so and so" . . . lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
i hear what you are saying and thanks for linking to the other thread . . . but why throw another unproven guy to the wolves when you've already got 2 . . . they would do the whole team a better service rebuilding the lines before trying to grab another qb . . . and also, get whoever's at qb more weapons . . . shockey is a start, but they can do better than that.

Because the know they have an ok backup with Pike and they already know Clausen is a bust.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Because the know they have an ok backup with Pike and they already know Clausen is a bust.

eeehhhhh not sure on that.

Here is the reality though. I don't care who they put at Qb, if they don't get some real tools....he won't succeed. It is that simple. You can't go with no Te, and no real Wrs other than Steve Smith. You just can't. Add to that rumor of Smith being gone....and it make it look even worse.

While I agree Claussen is a bust. I am not sure drafting Gabbert or Newton will be anymore successful. Newton might since he could play Vick and run all the time, and Carolina can go back to leading the league in rushing with Newton, Goodson, Stewart and maybe Williams. But they won't win alot of games there.

If I were Carolina, I would deal DeAngelo away, get picks for next year. I would draft A.J Green of fix the defense this year with the first pick. Live with Claussen or whomever, then position myself to draft Luck next year. He is a real franchise Qb.

Or if you take Gabbert, better hope he is the real deal.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
eeehhhhh not sure on that.

Here is the reality though. I don't care who they put at Qb, if they don't get some real tools....he won't succeed. It is that simple. You can't go with no Te, and no real Wrs other than Steve Smith. You just can't. Add to that rumor of Smith being gone....and it make it look even worse.

While I agree Claussen is a bust. I am not sure drafting Gabbert or Newton will be anymore successful. Newton might since he could play Vick and run all the time, and Carolina can go back to leading the league in rushing with Newton, Goodson, Stewart and maybe Williams. But they won't win alot of games there.

If I were Carolina, I would deal DeAngelo away, get picks for next year. I would draft A.J Green of fix the defense this year with the first pick. Live with Claussen or whomever, then position myself to draft Luck next year. He is a real franchise Qb.

Or if you take Gabbert, better hope he is the real deal.

Claussen sucks ass, and everyone knew it coming out.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Dont think its fair to judge Clausen like that. Like said earlier he has no real weapons so hes a sitting duck behind a piss poor line. Not sure if a Brady or Brees could do much better really. Doesnt matter who is QB there right now, they have no one to give the ball off to. Hey he might suck really badly but until you give the guy a few weapons you really dont know for sure. No i dont think he is the "it" guy to run a team but it could be worse. At least Cleveland isnt the Bills. Besides they arent going anywhere anytime soon anyway so they might as rebuild and get players around so when they do get a QB he will be able to survive.

Fire

in the hole
ESPN's Adam Schefter predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft.
"Last week, I sensed Blaine Gabbert," Schefter said in an ESPN Insider Q&A. "...This week, I'm more on the Cam Newton bandwagon. The more I hear, the more it sounds like Newton is the player to beat for the No. 1 pick." Schefter points out that the Panthers "need to create buzz to sell some tickets," and Newton is their best bet for that. Schefter beat everyone to the punch on Sam Bradford going to the Rams at No. 1 overall last year.
Source: ESPN Insider

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Am i the only one that hasnt jumped on the newton band wagon yet? I can see him easily being a bust. He wont last his first year w/o being on IR.

bobbeaux

ESPN's Adam Schefter predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft.
"Last week, I sensed Blaine Gabbert," Schefter said in an ESPN Insider Q&A. "...This week, I'm more on the Cam Newton bandwagon. The more I hear, the more it sounds like Newton is the player to beat for the No. 1 pick." Schefter points out that the Panthers "need to create buzz to sell some tickets," and Newton is their best bet for that. Schefter beat everyone to the punch on Sam Bradford going to the Rams at No. 1 overall last year.
Source: ESPN Insider

as i said, "guru's forcing these qb's up the boards.

bobbeaux

Am i the only one that hasnt jumped on the newton band wagon yet? I can see him easily being a bust. He wont last his first year w/o being on IR.

i'm with ya . . . i don't see a franchise qb in the bunch and i can't see why they are gettting forced up draftboards . . . yeah, there are a lot of teams with qb issues, but wasting a top pick on a project that might work out doesn't seem like it's solving the qb issues, imo.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator

Can you say Akili Smith??? I knew you could! :xpuke: :biglaugh: :nod: