Browns: Keep Hillis or draft Bama back Trent Richardson?

Coachnorm

The Cleveland Browns remain uncertain exactly how to handle impending free-agent RB Peyton Hillis. Some in the organization want to try and keep him, while others want to part ways and draft Alabama RB Trent Richardson.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
they have too many needs, and taking a rb in the first round is a proven waste. They would be much better to re-sign Hillis, cheaper than they expected due to last year, and then draft later for fill in. Using the first round pick for needed Wr or Def help.

Bull

I personally wouldn't make this an either/or. I'd get rid of Hillis, sign a quality backup or draft a rookie in 2nd or 3rd and go with Hardesty. Whoever my back up is I would want a scat back type to compliment Hardesty. A smaller back won't be able to handle a full season, but he should be able to carry the load when Hardesty gets hurt. This is just what I would do, I doubt they will do that. They probably look at it the way Coach says...either Hillis or Richardson.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I personally wouldn't make this an either/or. I'd get rid of Hillis, sign a quality backup or draft a rookie in 2nd or 3rd and go with Hardesty. Whoever my back up is I would want a scat back type to compliment Hardesty. A smaller back won't be able to handle a full season, but he should be able to carry the load when Hardesty gets hurt. This is just what I would do, I doubt they will do that. They probably look at it the way Coach says...either Hillis or Richardson.
Hardesty can't stay healthy. Would you continue to risk that?

jjtweeks

Dogbone also seems like a nice change of pace type of back for them and could take the some of the pressure off relying solely on Hillis or Hardesty

xqj47alpha

Banned
Dude, Dawg, Hillis is the poster child for everything Cleveland.
Thrown in Colt and you have the foundation for the real McCoy.

The Browns should stick with those two and build around this type of player mentality.

jmho

1 Crazy Commish

I believe what philinc said is corrrect. But look at lower picks. Hillis needs to make a decision himself. He was a true waste of a football player last year, and no you can't get that year back for the rest of year life you big dummy no matter what you were paid it was an honor you got to play for dedicated fans. Fire your agent and take a good look around you. You deserve a 10-15% raise, take it or get out.

jjtweeks

I agree stormin, I was very unimpressed by the way McCoy has developed. I would not be happy with him starting on my team.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Colt is a competitor.

I'm just trying to say Hillis and McCoy can be a positive for the Browns.
Build a team with players like them.
Sure, Hillis probably only has a couple of years left
and maybe Colt isn't the real deal.

But they play with passion.

There isn't one player that can fix any one team.
Yet struggling teams trade up trying to live that dream.
In particular the very teams one player can never and has never fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachnorm

This is probably one of the teams that has the toughest decisions to make as far as which direction to go. The Browns have many needs to say the least.

Drafting SEC RBs has been quite the gold mine that it has been in the past. But if you wait on investing a first round pick on RB you might end up OK. Hillis and Hardesty both have staying healthy as an issue but if you stick with them both you have two pretty good 1/2 season RBs. You can almost afford to stick with them both as a one year experiment hoping that one can show some durability. If both can't stay healthy then you have two years of 1/2 season performance and can move on past both of them then.

Going into last year we thought Colt was great and the WRs were holding Colt back. Now we are not so sure that it is not Colt holding them back. :) Ok, trying to be funny..... but we do seem to wonder about Colt more now. Maybe a move for Matt Flynn, let him and Colt fight it out. You could end up with a good QB and an excellent Backup QB for years to come.

If you are not worried about Colt then upgrading the WR corp is the way to go. But it is a tough call as you are trying to decide which way to go with whole core groups of the Browns team.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I agree. I am still kind of high on Colt. I think he needs tools to work with though, and I don't think drafting a qb high will make any difference. I would rather see browns trade down, and try and get multiple picks if RG3 is there. Get a top flight WR, and some RB depth. Maybe make a splash at wr for Stevie Johnson or Meachem or someone like that. Honestly a great catching TE would be nice, like if a Cooley gets cut or some such.

Bull

Has better record than Hardesty my man

I can run better than a 65 year old man in a wheelchair, doesn't mean a team should bank on me. Hardesty is younger, more talented, they don't have to pay him, and he hasn't acted like a diva. My point, you have to pair either one of these guys up with someone else, I'd choose the Hardesty for the reasons stated above.

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
... Honestly a great catching TE would be nice, like if a Cooley gets cut or some such.

Evan Moore?? Dude has skills...was really high on him last year but he never really stuck. Not sure what is going on here...but I think they have one in Moore!

Phicinfan

Administrator
Evan Moore?? Dude has skills...was really high on him last year but he never really stuck. Not sure what is going on here...but I think they have one in Moore!
I am with you, but I think he was left in to block more, and he doesn't have speed to get down middle like a Gates or Graham. Still, he would make a great dump off if they could use him.