Best African-American QB?

McNabb hasn't been mentioned, but he could realistically retire as at least the 2nd most statistically productive african-american QB of all-time, if he isn't already. And if he adds a SB ring to his resume'...

McNabb, McNair, and Cunningham were all mentioned and although I do not think they are better than Moon you are correct all three of them should be included in such a conversation.

Coachnorm

Plus, he didn't suck during his time in Canada either.

His six years with the Eskimos, where he famously led them to five straight Grey Cup titles from 1978-1982, laid the foundation for a tour-de-force NFL career in which he did everything but win the Super Bowl.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
To further cement the case for Moon, here are his numbers after Houston with Minnesota & Seattle:

Passing yards: 15412
TD passes: 94

All in just 5 seasons at ages 38 through 42.

- Rose Bowl win in college
- multiple Grey Cup wins in the CFL
- pro-bowl QB with 3 different NFL franchises
- Top 6 in NFL passing yards and TDs despite not throwing a pass before the age of 28

Rose781.jpg

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
To me Moon is the clear choice as best. His numbers and success at multiple levels proves that out.

As for #2, I agree with most here it comes down between McNair and McNabb. McNabb may have the overall better numbers, but McNair has without a doubt done some spectacular work as well. Both are legit.

As for other choices...I don't know how anyone can rate Evans, Vick(yes I know no one said it...) or Randall Cunningham in this group. None of them were ever really successful NFL Qbs that did a whole lot. Just my opinion though...

Doug Williams I do think though deserves some attention. Granted most of his success and his superbowl ring comes from late career. But it wasn't his fault he was drafted by a terrible Tampa team and had no real talent to work with. He made Washington a winner.

As for #2, I agree with most here it comes down between McNair and McNabb.

As for other choices...I don't know how anyone can rate Randall Cunningham in this group. Doug Williams I do think though deserves some attention

I would be interested in hearing more comparing Williams and Cunningham. Without rechecking I pictured Williams claim to fame being a spike in his career resulting in a SB win and MVP where Cunningham was at a higher level over a period of years but never getting that golden ticket.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
None of them were ever really successful NFL Qbs that did a whole lot. Just my opinion though...

Disagree with Cunningham. Before he got hurt, he put together 4 really good seasons. 13,460 passing yards, 98 TD passes, 56 Int., 2692 rushing yards, 18 rushing TDs. That's an average of 3,365 passing yards, 24.5 TD passes, 14 Int., 673 rushing yards, 4.5 rushing TDs per season after becoming a starter and before his injury in 1991.

His 1998 season with the Vikings was pretty amazing:

3,704 passing yards, 34 TD passes, 10 Int., 13-1 record as starter.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I would be interested in hearing more comparing Williams and Cunningham. Without rechecking I pictured Williams claim to fame being a spike in his career resulting in a SB win and MVP where Cunningham was at a higher level over a period of years but never getting that golden ticket.

Randall Cunningham:
Games: 161
Attempts: 4,289
Completions: 2,429
% complete: 56.6%
Attempts/game: 26.6
Yards: 29,979
Pass TDs: 207
Ints: 134
Rush Yds: 4,928
Rush Tds: 35
Fumbles Lost: 20
Qb rating: 81.5
Seasons: 16

Playoff runs with philly and Minnesota no titles, but Probowls he did have

Doug Williams:
Games: 88
Attempts: 2,507
Completions: 1,240
% complete: 49.5%
Attempts/game: 28.5
Yards: 16,998
Pass TDs: 100
Ints: 93
Rush Yds: 884
Rush Tds: 15
Fumbles Lost: 0
Qb rating: 69.4
Seasons: 9

Bad career in Tampa, but Superbowl with Washington

Honestly, I am shocked.

I am a Philly homer, knew about Cunningham in Philly, but totally forgot his work in Minny, which was pretty solid for a year or two. Net...Cunningham may deserve #3 or #4 on this.

cctekguy

Staff member
The Bio on Williams according to Wikipedia states (loosely) that his arrival in TB turned the team around and his departure from TB sent the team into a tailspin.

C

conan35

I see Warren Moon at the top with McNabb, McNair, then Cunningham. But I would take Cunningham over McNabb in a tight game, he just would give it all to win. And I watched them both play, did anyone else cry during the Fog Bowl!?!

cctekguy

Staff member
One hasn't been mentioned yet and really doesn't quallify, statisticly speaking, but may still make the HOF before it's all over.

I thought I would give you a few facts and see if you can guess who it is. (No Googling, Please).

He started at QB for the Denver Broncos in his rookie season. He set the Bronco's record for TD passes by a rookie (14). His 17.1 yds per completion that year still ranks 18th all-time.

He has 2 Super Bowl rings and was selected to the Pro-Bowl once.

His career spanned 8 years with 7 different teams.