Axe Elf's Sleepers & Stinkers: Week 3

A

Axe Elf

QBs

Sleepers

Alex Smith
The Eagles have allowed the second-most passing yards in the league through two weeks--and that was to RG How’s My Knee and Phillip Rivers. Alex Smith has had 2 TDs and 0 INTs in each game so far, although his yardage has been pedestrian. Coach Andy Reid should allow him to open things up a bit to show up his old team on the national stage Thursday night, so pencil in Smith for 275/3/0.

Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill just keeps improving--13 pts in Week 1, 17 pts in Week 2--and he now faces the worst pass defense so far, the 29th ranked Falcons. What’s more, this is Miami’s home opener after wins at Cleveland and Indianapolis. Think the home crowd will be psyched? Look for some undefeated 1972 references early in the game--before Miami falls hopelessly behind--but the extra garbage time stats should push Tannehill over 20 fantasy points this week.

Phillip Rivers
This may be the last week I can call Phillip Rivers a Sleeper. His 4 TDs in Week 1 and his 419 yards in Week 2 have kind of triggered the alarm clock already. I don’t think he’ll hit the snooze against Tennessee, who allowed a 300/3 day to Matt Schaub last week. I’ll give Rivers the same.

Matt Schaub
Last week may have been the last week I could call Matt Schaub a Sleeper, but since he wasn’t drafted among the top dozen QBs, I’m doing it anyway. Sue me. Baltimore just can’t seem to stop the pass--Manning lit them up and even Brandon Weeden got over 225 yards without an opposable thumb before he left the game. Schaub has too many targets not to post his third straight 300/3 effort.

Stinkers

Michael Vick
Andy Reid knows what makes Vick tick, and he has the tools in the Chiefs’ secondary to stop him. The Eagles’ offense cruised against Washington and the Chargers’ last-place pass defense, but it’s time for a reality check served up by the league’s #3 overall defenders. 200 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs and an open jar of Vick’s Vapo-Rub will be all that he sees tonight.

Eli Manning
Here’s another guy that has been cruising along with an average in excess of 400 yards per game. His reality check will come in a Panther uniform, as the lack of any credible rushing attack will allow the phenomenal Carolina defensive line to tee off on Manning--who has already thrown 7 INTs in the first two games. Seattle defense against Jacksonville? Sure--but Carolina’s D at home is going to feast too. 250 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs for lil Manning.

Andrew Luck
Luck has just 500 yards and 3 TDs on the year so far--against Miami and the Raiders (!). San Francisco, at home, still stinging from their performance in Seattle last week, will not be amenable to a Luck resurgence. 215 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Tom Brady
I can make pretty much the same argument I made last week--no Gronk, no Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson can’t catch. Stop Edelman and you stop the Patriots-- Revis Island awaits. Plus with the Tampa Bay offense in disarray, NE may just run the ball 35 times this game. 225/1/1 for Brady.

RBs

Sleepers

Knowshon Moreno
Peyton and the Broncos’ receivers should have this game well in hand by halftime, making it the Knowshon Showdown in the second stanza. If they don’t pull him to give Ball the second half, Moreno should see another outing north of 100 yards, with 2 more TDs.

Joique Bell
The chances of Bush are about 50/50, which I’m sure is better than your last date. The chances of Bell are more like 100%--and he gets to feast on the Washington defense that has made stars out of LeSean McCoy and James Starks while Reggie is resting. Bell should see 60 yards on the ground, another 60 yards on 6 catches, and at least one 6 point celebration as the Lions Joique off on the ‘Skins.

Rashard Mendenhall
The Saints have allowed 266 combined yards to the RBs they have faced in the first two weeks, giving them the 27th overall rush defense in the NFL. Arizona isn’t a real run-heavy team, but with Fitzgerald likely limited for the second week in a row, Mendenhall could score a TD for the second week in a row. Give him a third of the yards that Doug Martin and Steven Jackson posted (85), and Mendenhall comes away with a fine outing.

Bernard Pierce
This one kind of depends on Rice’s playing status, of course, but even with Rice playing (and I think he will), Pierce should still see the lion’s share of the carries. After facing Ryan Mathews and CJ2tds, the Texans are only middle-of-the-pack against the run (18th), so Pierce’s 15+ touches ought to be good for something like 75 yards and a TD.

Stinkers

James Starks
This should probly go without saying, but Starks isn’t facing the Redskins this week. Everyone who picked him up off the waiver wire to replace Steven Jackson, Reggie Bush, Ray Rice or Maurice Jones-Drew in their lineup this week will be delighted to know that they should have picked up Jason Snelling instead. 55 yards, no TD is the stark reality here.

LeSean McCoy
McCoy is the #1 RB in the NFL with 356 combined yards. The Chiefs have the #2 rushing defense in the NFL, allowing only 54 rush yards per game (2.8 yards per carry). Somethings’ gotta give, and I believe it will be the one at the hands of the many. Despite his gaudy yardage, McCoy has scored only once this season, so I like the Chiefs to keep him scoreless and under 100 combined yards.

Alfred Morris
I was just talking about how the Lions limited Adrian Peterson to 15 yards on 17 carries (it was that 16th carry for a 78 yard TD that sucked). Morris isn’t as explosive as Peterson, and I would expect him to be kept largely in check by the Detroit defensive line. It may be hard to keep him from getting a dunk TD, but that would be the only thing that could put Morris in double digit fantasy points this week.

Adrian Peterson
The Cleveland Browns haven’t been much worse than the Chiefs against the run, allowing just 119 combined rush yards to the two teams they have faced. Adrian Peterson has had a hard time getting into a groove so far this season, and his attempts have largely been of the boom or bust variety. 114 of his 193 rush yards have come on two big carries this year, leaving just 79 yards on the other 42 carries (1.88 ypc). If the Browns can keep him from having another explosive handoff, I could see them limiting him to 60 total yards and a TD.

A

Axe Elf

WRs

Sleepers

Dwayne Bowe
Sleeper? Well, considering he only has 86 yards and 1 TD on the season so far, and he will have twice as much after Thursday’s game, he minimally qualifies. 6 catches, 90 yards, score.

Robert Woods
Woods appears to have supplanted TJ Graham as the Bills WR2, with 4 catches for 68 yards in Week 2. EJ Manuel is growing in confidence, and with the Jets’ Cromartie likely covering Stevie Johnson, Woods is a threat to score the long balls. Give him 6 catches for 100 yards and a TD.

DeAndre Hopkins
It’s looking like Andre Johnson will play on Sunday. That’s good for DeAndre Hopkins, as it will take much of the coverage away from him. However, Andre Johnson will probably be limited on Sunday. That’s good for DeAndre Hopkins, as it will bring more targets toward him. Houston is playing the Ravens’ 25th-ranked passing defense, and that’s really good for DeAndre Hopkins. As an emerging star and the workhorse on Sunday, Hopkins will post 100 yards on 8 catches and a TD.

Andre Roberts
It’s looking like Larry Fitzgerald will play on Sunday. That’s good for Andre Roberts, as it will take much of the coverage away from him. However, Larry Fitzgerald will probably be limited on Sunday. That’s good for Andre Roberts, as it will bring more targets toward him. Arizona is playing the Saints’ defense, who just placed their sixth member on injured reserve--CB Patrick Robinson--and that’s really good for Andre Roberts. Notice any similarities between this blurb and the last one? Yep, three of the four WRs mentioned have “Andre” in their names! Maybe not an emerging star and maybe not even the workhorse on Sunday, Roberts is still good for 80 yards on 6 catches and a TD.

Brian Hartline
The Falcons have the 29th-ranked pass defense, and should focus most of their attention on Mike Wallace. That will allow the pendulum to swing back in favor of Hartline, to the tune of 7 receptions, 90 yards and a score.

Jeremy Kerley
He has cleared his concussion test and will be back on the field--likely as the Jets’ best WR against the Bills. Although the Bills have a decent pass defense, the greatest success against them has come out of the slot or TE positions (Edelman, Olsen). Kerley will likely line up in the slot a great deal of the time, and should lead the Jets with 6 catches, 90 yards and a TD.

Vincent Brown
Brown has been one of the surprises of the season--with how little he has been targeted in a passing offense that has otherwise flourished. Tennessee has done a pretty good job of taking away opposing teams’ WR1s (Antonio Brown and Andre Johnson), so with Floyd out, and Gates and Royal sure to be covered like a cow patty on a fly farm, it’s now or never for Vincent Brown. 5 catches, 75 yards, end zone.

Austin Pettis
Austin Pettis was far and away the Rams’ best WR through spring training, and I kept my eye on him as a sleeper--even drafting him late in a couple of deeper leagues. His preseason performance and Week 1 stats led me to drop him in waiver wire transactions thereafter, but his Week 2 game makes me wonder if that wasn’t a bit premature--when he hauled in 8 catches on 11 targets for 78 yards and a score. Things don’t change much this week against Dallas, so I could see Pettis continuing to draw targets as the defense focuses on Cook and the other Austin. I still like Pettis for 6 catches, 65 yards and another score.

Cordarrelle Patterson
With only 3 catches for 24 yards this season so far, this may seem like a strange call. However, everyone from the fan base to the local media to the head coach himself is saying that Patterson will be a bigger part of the offense going forward, and for an 0-2 team in need of a spark, I expect that will be the case. Cleveland has a decent pass defense, but Patterson may not draw the attention of their best defenders and could be a sneaky play for 4 catches, 60 yards and a successful red zone target.

Stinkers

Kenbrell Thompkins
This may be too obvious of a stinker, but I can imagine some of the true believers out there are still starting him, after spending $10 for him in their auction draft, and hoping that his 21 targets will eventually turn into more than 6 catches for 89 scoreless yards. Nope, more of the same this week vs. the Bucs--3 catches, 35 yards, no house.

Cecil Shorts
He plays for Jacksonville. He plays on the road. He plays against Seattle. He will probly be covered by Richard Sherman. 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TDs. Well, ok, a little garbage time action for 5 catches and 50 yards--but still 0 TDs.

Marques Colston
Last week he vacationed on Revis Island, this week he travels the Peterson Path. Neither are particularly lucrative getaways. 4 catches, 60 yards, no score.

Victor Cruz
This is Hakeem Nicks’ first game in his home town of Charlotte, NC, since his final college game for the Tarheels. The Panthers are going to slow down the Giants’ passing game--that’s a given--but I bet that Nicks gets every opportunity to show off in front of his hometown fans. That means that Cruz suffers the deficit this week; 5 catches, 70 yards, no salsa.

DeSean Jackson
Jackson has been just too consistent so far--and WRs are notoriously inconsistent. The Chiefs’ secondary offers a good opportunity to have a down week. Jackson is kept under wraps and posts 5 catches for 80 scoreless yards.

Brandon Marshall
For as bad as they are, the Steelers axually have the #9 pass defense in the entire league. Of course, that could just be because opposing teams never have to put the ball in the air to beat them. Still, with Cincinnati 14th and Minnesota 26th, this is the best pass defense that Cutler and Marshall have faced so far--and for the first time this season, the Bears are on the road. It’s time for Marshall to have his first scoreless and first under-100 day of the year; let’s say something like 6 catches for 80 yards.

TEs

Sleepers

Brandon Myers
With the pressure that the Panthers will be getting on Eli Manning, he may look to a dumpoff receiver frequently. Brandon Myers has already been a reliable target in that role, notching 13 catches for 140 yards and a TD already on the young season. He could be the Giants’ leading receiver this week with 8 catches, 95 yards, and another TD.

Charles Clay
I know, I shoulda called this guy LAST week instead of Brandon Gibson, but better late than never. I’m gonna jump on the bandwagon and say to play Clay another day. (No more rhyming now, I mean it!) 1 TD and 75 YD on 5 RC. (Anybody want a peanut?)

Heath Miller
Miller should be back to make his debut for the Steelers in a much more favorable situation--Chicago has allowed 124 yards and a TD to opposing TEs so far--and the Steelers are desperate for any help they can get on offense. Miller has practiced in full this week, and although he might be a little limited in his first game back, you know Roethlisberger is going to look to him early and often. I expect 5 catches for 60 yards and a score.

Delanie Walker
Walker should start seeing a larger role in the Titans’ offense, as Kenny Brittle’s attitude continues to disqualify himself from contention. Granted, we are talking about the TITANS’ offense here, but the Chargers’ 32nd-ranked pass defense has allowed 152 yards and 3 TDs to opposing TEs in two games so far. Walker stands to benefit to the tune of 4 catches, 50 yards and his second TD of the season.

Marcedes Lewis
Lewis should be back to make his debut for the Jaguars in the worst possible situation--on the road against Seattle. Still, the Jaguars’ only offensive score this season has been to a TE, so I’m going to give Lewis the best chance of any Jacksonville player to find the end zone this week. 3 catches, 30 yards, TD.

Stinkers

Jason Witten
Even though the Rams’ passing defense is only 27th in the league, they have allowed on 8 receptions for 74 yards--and no TDs--to opposing TEs this season (and that includes Tony Gonzalez going 4/33 last week). I’m depending on Witten myself in a couple of FanDuel lineups this week, so I hope I’m wrong, but I have to call Witten a Stinker with 5 catches for 50 scoreless yards. After all, how well can you play after getting punched in the junk?

1e6CaD.St.81.jpeg

Julius Thomas
Yeah, it’s not that Oakland will shut him down, it’s just that Denver won’t need him as much in the passing game. Not only will the loss of Ryan Clady require Denver’s TEs to help out more in the blocking schemes, but Denver should be running the ball a lot more--and passing the ball a lot less--in an easy win over the Raiders. Thomas disappoints with 4 catches for 50 yards and no score.

Martellus Bennett
Bennett has been one of the surprises of the season at the TE position for me--after being targeted like one time in the entire preseason, he now has 10 catches for 125 yards and 3 TDs. Unfortunately, he has a bruised shoulder this week, and like Brandon Marshall, he plays a much tougher pass defense--and on the road for the first time--than he has been facing thus far. Temper expectations to 3 catches, 40 yards, no TD.

ExperiencedRookie

What's McCoy gotta do to get off your hate list? It's bad enough that this dude is burning you from all the preseason hate, but now you salt your own wound weekly.

A

Axe Elf

What's McCoy gotta do to get off your hate list? It's bad enough that this dude is burning you from all the preseason hate, but now you salt your own wound weekly.

Except for one play, I was only 17 yards off on my prediction for McCoy as well.

ExperiencedRookie

Except for one play, I was only 17 yards off on my prediction for McCoy as well.
Well in that case, you're only a 75 yard YD to DeSean Jackson away from having a miss on both of Vick and DeSean.

That is SO the typical excuse I hear from people who are losing at fantasy football. "Boohoo, if this doesn't happen, or if that doesn't happen, I win". Well, guess what, it did happen! That's what happens in football. Studs make big plays and that's where the big points come from.

I think its hilarious that when you're breaking down tonight's action, its all pats on the back for how great you are and you don't even mention McCoy until responding to my post, and when you do, its nothing but excuses. F'ing own it dude! You were, have been, and continue to be wrong on McCoy at every single turn of the season.

Anthrax

Surprised about Bowe. Thought he was due

Yep. Considering who he was up against I think everyone figured he'd be in a great game. Nope. 1.4 in PPR leagues. Thank God I have both JC and Shady on my team or I'd be in trouble.

Elf: I think you need to put Bowe on your stinker list EVERY week. I don't think I could trade him for Tebow right now.

ExperiencedRookie

Seeing a lot of busts on this list this week, some even epically bad. Alex Smith, Philip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Mendenhall, McCoy, Morris, AD, Bowe, Hopkins, Roberts, Vincent Brown, Pettis, Patterson, Thompkins, Myers, Walker

A

Axe Elf

I got most of those right; but the NFL teams got a lot of them wrong.