Alex Smith unlikely to be released

cctekguy

Staff member
So who would you want for a back up, E?

Charlie Batch, Tim Tebow, Rex Grossman, etc?

Draft one and hope Kap doesn't get hurt for 2 years?

Given the rapid rise to stardom of Kap and the fact that S.F. is poised for another championship run, I think I'd want a pretty solid #2 for at least one more season.

efactor

Coming at you
Someone not making 8 million a year. I'll take my chances that Kaepernick stays healthy.

Also, they like Thorzien as a back up. Christ, Jeff Garcia stays in good shape. He could be on call.............

Escrow

Apparently there is a deal in place to move alex smith, not sure what team....chiefs or jags maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

gizzil

Chiefs are the reported team... the deal is "all but done..." I'm hearing in place but cant technically get done until 3/12

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Andy Reid makes anyone look good at qb. This could be a great move for A.Smith. Might be worth a late round stash in a fantasy draft.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Chiefs are the reported team... the deal is "all but done..." I'm hearing in place but cant technically get done until 3/12

okay it has since been reported no deal is close, but now it is close. Although I just read at PFT that KC is working hard to get Foles from Philly. So maybe Jags or someone else is looking to get Smith?

jjtweeks

They way the Jags have been talking good things about Gabbert lately I don't see that happening. I still think he will end up with the Chiefs . You have a top notch RB with the Chiefs to take pressure off Smith and there def wasn't too bad. The chiefs were 5th in rushing and last in passing so i see that as a good fit. The team does't need to be built around Smith, he could just compliment the offense and manage the game like he did in SF

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
okay it has since been reported no deal is close, but now it is close. Although I just read at PFT that KC is working hard to get Foles from Philly. So maybe Jags or someone else is looking to get Smith?

The stories are all over the place on this and it's going to drag out until 3/12.

cctekguy

Staff member
THink that will be a good fit for him.

Andy Reid makes anyone look good at qb. This could be a great move for A.Smith. Might be worth a late round stash in a fantasy draft.

C'mon guys....Seriously?

The Chiefs suck and there is no way in Sheboygen that Smith is a fit for this team. No more than Cassel was, anyway.

Smith is an average QB who started to look pretty good when the team around him became superb. Cassel was also the product of an excellent supporting cast. 4 years, 25 mil and a 30% winning percentage later, Cassel is on the brink of being released by the Chiefs.

Now the imbeciles in K.C. are about to do the same thing over again. On a terrible team, Smith will be terrible....again!

The Chiefs should ride Cassel into the ground ( or crucify a young guy) while they concentrate on building an O-Line that can protect the QB and give the team the luxury of an "Up The Gut" running attack.

I like Alex Smith in a lot of ways but he hasn't got the shoulders or the backbone to carry a team.

There is an irony in this situation, though:

If the Chiefs get Smith and release Cassel, the 49ers could easily pick up a well seasoned #2 for a very reasonable price.

Phicinfan

Administrator
C'mon guys....Seriously?

The Chiefs suck and there is no way in Sheboygen that Smith is a fit for this team. No more than Cassel was, anyway.

Smith is an average QB who started to look pretty good when the team around him became superb. Cassel was also the product of an excellent supporting cast. 4 years, 25 mil and a 30% winning percentage later, Cassel is on the brink of being released by the Chiefs.

Now the imbeciles in K.C. are about to do the same thing over again. On a terrible team, Smith will be terrible....again!

The Chiefs should ride Cassel into the ground ( or crucify a young guy) while they concentrate on building an O-Line that can protect the QB and give the team the luxury of an "Up The Gut" running attack.

I like Alex Smith in a lot of ways but he hasn't got the shoulders or the backbone to carry a team.

There is an irony in this situation, though:

If the Chiefs get Smith and release Cassel, the 49ers could easily pick up a well seasoned #2 for a very reasonable price.

Not saying I disagree with you Tek,

But keep in mind, Andy made: Kolb, Garcia, McNabb, Vick, and others look like the next coming. His system is extremely Qb friendly, and I happen to think whoever he works with, if they have the arm, could do pretty well. Now, agreed, they have to have the tools. So you have Moaeki, Bowe(if they keep), Charles(poorman's Westbrook) so chances are there.

Phicinfan

Administrator
This is a who cares. Dude is no better than Cassell or either cardinal qb. He is a fine backup.

Who knows, some guys turn it on when given a new team and chance. I personally would like to see Andy get Foles, and see him screw himself as he has Miami and Arizona on those trades.... :D

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Sources today say there's no chance he gets dealt to Arizona which is in the same division. Latest rumor I read is that he'll be traded for a 4th to the Chiefs. Yesterday it was a 3rd. Tomorrow, who knows.