2012 Close Call #8: Matthew Stafford vs Cam Newton

2012 Close Call #8: Matthew Stafford vs Cam Newton

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
:wow: This is the best one yet.

I have to lean Stafford. I think Car. called their plan by re-signing DeWill and Stewart and FA signing Tolbert. They want to run, and take pressure off Cam to run and pass. I still think Cam has a great year, but less use as they push the run more. Stafford is the offense, until they can get a Rb to stay healthy and help.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I get a nice passer and a goal line RB all in one player. Give me Cam. Stafford is a stud, but still concerns me about his ability to stay on the field. I know he had no issues last year, but the concerns are still there. For their price tags, i would feel better with Cam.

Remote Controller

Stafford is and easy choice for me here. I'm not discounting what Cam can do, just realizing how hard it is for him to repeat what he did last year and stay upright. Stafford seems like a shoe in for top 3 or 4 status.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Stafford proved he can stay healthy and no one comes close to Megatron. Now Young is set to explode. Smith isn't getting any younger and Brandon hasn't proved anything to me yet. Stafford everyday.

ExperiencedRookie

Stafford proved he can stay healthy and no one comes close to Megatron. Now Young is set to explode. Smith isn't getting any younger and Brandon hasn't proved anything to me yet. Stafford everyday.

This post says it all. Where the heck is Cam going with the ball? His weapons are pretty average. Stafford has the best weapon in the game, an above average improving TE, and a young stud WR ready to break loose.

Also, does anyone actually expect Cam to rush for as many TDs as he did last year? I don't.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not a chance that the defenses allow him to run for that many scores this time around.
But how do you stop it? It's not like he is scrambling for his rushing TD's.....he is the goalline back with another blocker added in there.

I wouldn't put it past him to rush for double digit TD's again this year.

And one year is enough for everyone to forget that he missed a combined 19 games in his first 2 years? Would anyone be surprised if he missed a significant amount of time this year? Guess that is where my concern comes in with Stafford. Regardless of what he did last season, this is still a guy who has missed 19 of 48 career starts (40%) due to injury. Leaves me a little worried that he goes back to that trend.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I'm surprised at how lopsided this is.

Cam Newton is much higher on my draft board than Matthew Stafford.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Well that didn't take long.....make no mistake about it, Stafford has NOT proven he can stay healthy. Let's just hope for Cal J and Stafford owners everywhere that this is not serious. Looks like the X-Rays are negative.....but this should be a good reminder of who we are dealing with here.
Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford (hand) suffered a left hand injury in the third preseason game Saturday, Aug. 25, and is questionable to return.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
Not what the Lions need here. Stafford's had durability issues in the past and it makes some fantasy owners nervous when drafting him. No word yet on the severity of this injury.

gizzil

Both have a high risk of injury and coming off years i don't think they can repeat. Smart money stays away from both and gets Brees/Rodgers/Brady or steals a Ryan/Eli/Cutler later

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Well that didn't take long.....make no mistake about it, Stafford has NOT proven he can stay healthy. Let's just hope for Cal J and Stafford owners everywhere that this is not serious. Looks like the X-Rays are negative.....but this should be a good reminder of who we are dealing with here.

But he has proven he can get rid of the ball before linemen can get to him, and the line is good enough for that. I traded him away last year due to his injury history, so I paid attention to the games. He was rarely touched and I was singing the blues.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Minor ding to the non-throwing hand= no big deal. I doubt many players get through a game without a ding or two. It's when they start missing games that they kill you.