SO GM Mock Draft #2 Discussion Thread

Runnik's Hambones

Tampa pick is pretty obvious. I think Jerry is extremely versatile. The guy ran a 4.9 at the combine and if we needed him to he can play the end position or the inside. The Bucs are in desperate need of DL atm, more than any other spot besides QB.

Since Sanchez and Stafford aren't available, and I don't think Freeman is actually 1st round talent, I addressed the other issue the Bucs have.

With that said, since Cutler is now in Chicago, it's likely that we'll have to just stick with Luke McCowen. The talk in Tampa is that the players absolutely love the guy. I honestly don't know why we didn't resign Garcia.

Runnik's Hambones

I was originaly going to go DB for Atlanta, but then I started thinking about Matt Ryan and the only weapon he does not have is a franchise TE. This addition would make this team absolutely dangerous on offense. Pettigrew can not only be a down field threat, but he can block better than any TE coming out this year.

lemmer

Well, in lieu of the questionable restart, and the breaking news that Cutler is a Bear and Denver now has Chicago's top pick, do we dare try version 3.0?

Since I am draft for the broncos and the bears in the draft, I would have more than likely took the same player at the 18th pick.

jmsmith1

Dont look now, but reading a report online that both Cushing and Matthews failed steroid tests at the combine. Not sure if its just smoke, but I'll let you know if I hear any more.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Since I am draft for the broncos and the bears in the draft, I would have more than likely took the same player at the 18th pick.

Sorry lemm, I didn't notice you had both teams and the picks make perfect sense even after the trade. Denver is a good fit for Jackson.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
With lemmer's comment I went ahead and made that pick Denver's. With the selection of Stafford and Jackson in the first Denver has one hell of a draft going!

1. Detroit Lions: Michael Oher
Some of the other posts covered my issues with this selection. Can not understand why Oher was selected ahead of J. Smith or E. Monroe. Granted when I began the off season I generally had the 4 top OT's just grouped together but have not seen/heard of Oher leaping ahead of any of them (well other than A. Smith but that had less to do with Oher than Smith). Would be interested to hear what your train of thought was - watch him in college and think he is being undervalued? So I like the position addressed but would have gone with Smith or Monroe instead.

2. St. Louis Rams: Jason Smith
Like the position being addressed and if he is available would be the player I would select.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Michael Crabtree
I don't see WR as that great a need for them but if that is the route they go I could see Maclin giving Crabtree some competition simply because he would be coming in healthy. I just can't see this team passing on Curry if he falls into their lap.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Eugene Monroe
It is hard to argue with a team selecting someone at #4 that I would consider at #1. I wouldn't mind seeing them take advantage of Stafford still being on the board and selecting Hass's heir (it has been long enough for me to accept that Seneca is not that although I do still like to see him get playing time).

5. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Curry
If Curry is there how can ANY team pass up on him? I can't see that happening so I would consider taking BJ Raji here but am not sold on that being their greatest need, especially with the reports of him failing his drug test - (not sure how much weight I should be giving that).

Well gotta go. Even if I do not agree with the selections, nice work though putting this together and good idea with the separate discussion thread (even though coming in late I have not read them all yet)

bobbeaux

kinda surprised Harvin was still there, but then again with the pee test thingy going on, maybe not . . .but, can you imagine the speed all over this offense and if vince young gets his stuff together, this could be the wildcat from hell . . . lol . . . the value at this point in round 1 suggested i stay away from de and cb.

Miller - thanks for the comment, enjoyed the mock - its a nice touch having others adopting teams. Here is some additional feedback on the next few picks.

6. Cincinnati Bengals: BJ Raji
No problem with this pick if Raji is available. If not, I think they may go LB and if that is the case I would expect it to be Rey M or James L

7. Oakland Raiders: Brian Orakpo
Defensive line help is needed but even with his stock having fallen the other Smith T fills a bigger need. Has Smith dropped behind Oher?

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jeremy Maclin
If Jax goes O Maclin is the pick for them (or Crabtree he is not). If it is a call for D then the top ranked LB available (Rey / James).

9. Green Bay Packers: Everette Brown -
If Brown makes the move to OLB I would still prefer Cushing. Not sure if they are still sold on Ryan being their back but even if they have doubts I don't think they would pull the trigger here just to get the best replacement. I wouldn't mind them taking the top S but it may be to early for Delmas as well.

10. San Francisco 49ers: Vontae Davis
They need DB's and Davis is right near the top of the rankings but I could see them holding off. Matt Stafford or if they think Sanchez are franchise QB's they are possibilities but the last of the top tier T's or a WR like Nicks (who I'm at least temporarily leaning toward bumping ahead of Harvin) appeals to me.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
re: A. Smith vs Oher

Depending on who you ask or where you look. I see A. Smith as a brush fire and is a guy that if I was a GM I would stay away from like the plague in rd 1. I know the potential is there, the risk is simply not worth it though. I see bust written all over him. Oher is a yo yo guy, meaning that his stock has been all over the place since the begining of the year. Seems like it may be back on the uptick but how high is in question. i do know it's no where near where DD had it at. To go in the top 10, someone will need to reach and be down on Smith. I would think the opinions on this debate would be split. For me personally, I have Oher above A. Smith.

My feeling on A. Smith are also why I took Orakpo over Smith, yes tackle may be a bigger need, but that is subjective at DE is a large need as well. With both being big holes you need to go with the better value and landing Orakpo for me is much better value than A. Smith.

re: A. Smith vs Oher

I see A. Smith as a brush fire and is a guy that if I was a GM I would stay away from like the plague in rd 1. I know the potential is there, the risk is simply not worth it though. I see bust written all over him. Oher is a yo yo guy, meaning that his stock has been all over the place since the begining of the year. Seems like it may be back on the uptick but how high is in question. i do know it's no where near where DD had it at. To go in the top 10, someone will need to reach and be down on Smith. I would think the opinions on this debate would be split. For me personally, I have Oher above A. Smith.

My feeling on A. Smith are also why I took Orakpo over Smith, yes tackle may be a bigger need, but that is subjective at DE is a large need as well. With both being big holes you need to go with the better value and landing Orakpo for me is much better value than A. Smith.

I can understand your interpretation of A. Smith at this juncture and he would have some explaining/convincing to do for me to be comfortable taking him early but by the same token I don't want to read to much into his odd behavior but more interested in him proving he is ready to put forth an effort we haven't seen - how would an incentive laden contract work out for someone at that position?

I have Smith ahead of Oher but can definitely see Orakpo as a safer pick over him.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
im not going to toot my own horn because it was sheer luck and awful drafting in front of my pick, but san diego would absolutely wet themselves if they lucked into rey maulauga. that defense would go from scary good to downright sick with rey rey in the middle of it.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Moreno and Maybin as the last 2 picks in the 1st round? Unlikely, but absolute no-brainers.
I realize Pittsburgh has other needs, but the only excuse for not addressing a need high in the draft is making one of your strengths even stronger. I wanted Mack or Unger at #32 but I may be even more satisfied that I got a top-15 talent at that spot.

Runnik's Hambones

I can see Moreno falling that far, Wes. Teams can address stronger needs throughout the 1st round and Knowshon could fall down to Arizona. Again, it's leaning toward unlikely more than likely, however it's a possibility.

Maybin, no way. I don't see that happening whatsoever, and I understand then your desire to pick him up. LB/DB really isn't much of a weakness for Pittsburgh, but it's really hard to pass him if he's still available.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
yeah i was pretty stunned when i logged in last night to see the first round and saw that no one had taken maybin yet. he is someone i thought i might end up with for minnesota's pick until mack went way ahead of unger and surprised me. anything ive seen has him moving up, not down, in the draft and he could be pushing top 10 at this point.