SO GM Mock Draft #2 Discussion Thread

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
No there is a pick I like, never going to happen, but damn would this make trading Cutler a lot easier! Stafford is the real deal and should be the face of the detroit franchise by the end of the month. Guy is smart and can make all the throws. Reminds me a little of Carson Palmer.

Is there anyone who thinks the Cutler saga won't be concluded well before draft day? With that said, if Denver does what I feel they will (deal Cutler for high picks and a stopgap QB such as Delhomme or Culpepper) This pick makes awesome sense, even if it's Sanchez instead of Stafford due to unavailability.

This is the slot that will be the subject of the most speculation over the coming weeks, depending on the package Denver gets back for Cutler. They need defense in the worst way, but if all the pieces fall into place, they'll use one of their top picks on Stafford or Sanchez. Unless they feel they can hang tight until next year when they'll have Bradford, Tebow, and McCoy available.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Curry falling to 5 may not seem on paper to be a long drop, but considering he's probably the overall top prospect in the draft, carries the least amount of risk amongst the elite prospects, and has the best chance to make an impact from week one, I don't think there's any way possible he makes it past KC at 3, or even Seattle at 4 given the departure of Julian Peterson.
What is the highest a LB has ever gone? Don't seem like too many go in the top 5. I agree that he likely doesn't fall past 3 or 4, but I would rank stafford, J Smith, and Monroe all above him if it's me.... but those are corner stone positions to me and I place much more importance on them. I have Curry and Raji as 1a and 1b as the top defensive players available.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The crazy first pick is kinda mute now, Stafford is gone and Oher could easily rise to around this point so it just kinda mixed up the top 12 some.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I agree that he likely doesn't fall past 3 or 4, but I would rank stafford, J Smith, and Monroe all above him if it's me.... but those are corner stone positions to me and I place much more importance on them.

If the aforementioned underclassmen QB's had declared this year, Stafford would be 3rd or 4th among them. I just don't have him rated as highly as most because he's the best in a very weak class of QB prospects. That's not to say he won't be a good pro, but his status needs to be placed in the proper context.
And I think if Detroit stays at that top overall position it would be a mistake to take him over Curry, J.Smith, or Monroe when they'll probably be in a position to get a better QB prospect next year.
If they wind up with Cutler though (best case scenario) it will all be a moot point.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
ehh, I like Stafford over all of them....only one that is even close for me is McCoy. Stafford has all the tools and should be an excellent QB in this league.

Arctic Dawgs

I went Smith for Was. Went around several sites and about 50% seem to think that is the biggest need there. He seems to be rebuilding his reputation some after his combine fiasco.

By the way guys. I just went to check something at cbs sportsline when my pick came up. Laptop started going crazy. I shut down my wireless on the spot. Not sure if it was that April Fools worm or not

Runnik's Hambones

Not a surprise that I took Malcolm Jenkins here for NO. He's the best CB left on the board and NO desperately needs secondary. Jenkins will complement Tracy Porter. Jenkins can also play free safety, which is fine because they need both of those, lol.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I wouldn't touch A Smith with a 10 foot pole......however, he has tremendous upside and this is a pick Washington would make. Can't fault the shot there.

Love the Jenkins pick, but I still think he'll be a corner. Does not have elite speed, but excellent technique and coverage ability. Very fluid picks and tremendous awareness. He's a playmaker.

DearbornDolfan

Well, I just found out that Detroit plans to go with the Run & Shoot this year, so my justification for the Oher pick just went up in vapors.

bobbeaux

i went with lb clay matthews again for the texans . . . some may feel this is a bit of a reach, but the texans 4-3 defense does not need a de/olb hybrid and wouldn't be getting value from the cb/s positions at this point . . . some may feel cushing should go first, but the injury history drops him in my rankings . . . matthews family history with the oilers/texans as well as this kids huge heart for the game seems like a perfect fit for this team and fills a major need . . . ;)

the texans had the #3 offense and the #22 defense in 2008 . . . they need a backup to rb slaton and could use a back that is a bit bigger for between the tackles, but strengthening the defense is top priority and they shouldn't draft a rb before round 3, imho . . . ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire

in the hole
Well, I just found out that Detroit plans to go with the Run & Shoot this year, so my justification for the Oher pick just went up in vapors.

There never was justification for taking Oher at #1.:shake:

I took him with the 20th pick in the first mock.

And where did you "find out" Detroit is going with the Run & Shoot this year. You scooped this out of thin air as far as I can tell.

DearbornDolfan

And where did you "find out" Detroit is going with the Run & Shoot this year. You scooped this out of thin air as far as I can tell.

It was a post I was reading on the Smart Football blog, but I failed to look at the date and bit on a rather convincing April Fools' joke.

deuce4321

Driller
For the Jets i honestly dont think Sanchez is the answer at QB. The Jets already have 3 young guys at QB and Sanchez, since he only started a handful of games at USC, isnt really NFL ready to step in day 1. I think if the Jets do make the pick they will trade him for a vet or they will establish a vet before draft day. Since neither have happen yet i filled the biggest need.

dukdown

Banned
This may seem like a strange question, but I'm just curious - Dearborn Dolfan, are you from the United States? Honestly, you sound like if I was participating in an English Premiere League Mock Draft.

Of course this thing is somewhat of a train wreck, but as has been stated, once you start getting toward the end of the 1st round and into the 2nd round, things should begin to level back to reality.

It cracks me up that Sarge is just hell-bent on over-drafting a Center this year.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Well, in lieu of the questionable restart, and the breaking news that Cutler is a Bear and Denver now has Chicago's top pick, do we dare try version 3.0?