E.Elliot Rb Dallas facing short suspension

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
This is far from settled and he'll still be missing games this season I believe. I'm hoping they end up being the last 6 now.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Alot depends on a few things -
One, the case in NY that the NFL filed stating this case that was decided was premature - since no finding was made by NFL yet.
Two - how quickly they can get to the District courts, that have ruled in the past this is collectively bargained and not belonging to the courts - ala Brady
Three - can they use the exempt list....I am not sure here on that the way the judgement was stated.

Phicinfan

Administrator
NFL has moved quickly and filed appeals on this decision, including one to the 5th district Court - at some point , my guess is Elliot will sit for 6 games..just not sure when.

efactor

Coming at you
I'm not a "hater" for the most part, but this guy is really hard to like. Acts like a fool after a short first down run. I get celebrating when you have done something truly spectacular or game winning, but getting tiresome when you do it every positive play.

ExperiencedRookie

I'm not a "hater" for the most part, but this guy is really hard to like. Acts like a fool after a short first down run. I get celebrating when you have done something truly spectacular or game winning, but getting tiresome when you do it every positive play.
It's more than just that. It's the whole package. You can just tell that the guy doesn't have a humble bone in his body. Reminds me of one of these guys who has been told how amazing he is since age 12. Since he can run, jump, and make athletic cuts...he thinks he's special and better.

Shines in his stupid belly shirts too. How freaking shallow do you have to be to go "hey everyone, come see how good my abs look".

Screw this guy.

Phicinfan

Administrator
and here we go Zeke owners.....:

Per ESPN:

NFL seeks reversal of Elliott ruling by Thursday

basically the NFL is forcing the stay to be removed, or they will force move to Appeals court. This seems like a huge push to get Zeke out this week by NFL. Only time will tell what happens, but I do think at some point and now not too far away Zeke will eat the 6 game suspension.

KillerFins

Staff member
I'm curious why Roger & the NFL are so adamant about being able to swing the hammer. My best guess is that they want this to be a big bargaining chip in the next CBA. If I was Roger it'd be better for him if he didn't have to be the guy swinging the hammer. Maybe that way he could fly into Boston without a security detail.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I'm curious why Roger & the NFL are so adamant about being able to swing the hammer. My best guess is that they want this to be a big bargaining chip in the next CBA. If I was Roger it'd be better for him if he didn't have to be the guy swinging the hammer. Maybe that way he could fly into Boston without a security detail.
They want to stop the Union from using courts to delay or stop suspensions, from a process they agreed to in the collective bargaining. It costs the league tons of money to keep doing all this in the courts, and circumvents the process that was agreed to.

Net, they want to get it where the Union gets slapped for doing this. If this gets turned over by the appeals court(which it should like Brady's) then that will be a huge legal precedent set.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Credit PFT:
As the NFL tries to pull the plug on the ruling that pulls the plug on the suspension of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, the appeals court could be plugging in the process of giving the league a ruling as soon as next week.

Per a league source, the NFL believes that a ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit staying the preliminary injunction blocking the suspension could happen by early next week. This would mean that Elliott, if the league wins, would begin to serve his six-game suspension as of Week Three (when the Cowboys facing the Cardinals on a Monday night), with the ability to continue to challenge the suspension in court. Though he’d be paid for the games he’d miss if successful, he’d likely miss the six games.

The NFL sees three potential scenarios, as the case progresses to the Fifth Circuit, viewing each as having reasonable prospects of occurring. First, the Fifth Circuit could quickly stay the injunction, having the suspension commence as soon as next week. Second, the Fifth Circuit could consider the appeal of the injunction on an expedited basis, which would delay the start of the suspension (if the NFL prevails on the appeal) deeper into the season. Third, the Fifth Circuit could consider the appeal in the normal course of business, which as a practical matter would allow Elliott to play for the full season, given the usual time frames for resolving cases on appeal.

The league sees the second option as a compromise, and thus as possibly a bit more likely than the other two. This would delay the suspension to a later point of the season, starting maybe a month from now or later. In theory, it could impact Elliott’s availability for the postseason.

The NFL’s overriding goal seems to be immediately putting in front of the appeals court not the question of whether the injunction is appropriate but whether the entire case is appropriate. The league believes that the Texas federal court lacks jurisdiction over the dispute, for multiple reasons: The NFL believes that Elliott filed the case too early, and that the case should be handled by a federal court in New York. With the Texas judge still considering that issue, the appeal of the injunction adroitly provides, as a practical matter, a way to get the issue of jurisdiction before the appeals court even before the Texas judge rules on that question.

However the legal process plays out, it’s clear that the NFL intends to push this issue aggressively, because the NFL believes that the Texas court lacks jurisdiction, and because the league believes it can achieve a slam-dunk victory if/when the case ends up out of Texas and in New York, where the outcome of the Tom Brady case would represent what the lawyers call “binding precedent,” mandating (in theory) the New York court to quickly affirm the suspension.

So, this could come to a head next week, if the Fifth circuit reacts quickly

KillerFins

Staff member
They want to stop the Union from using courts to delay or stop suspensions, from a process they agreed to in the collective bargaining. It costs the league tons of money to keep doing all this in the courts, and circumvents the process that was agreed to.

Net, they want to get it where the Union gets slapped for doing this. If this gets turned over by the appeals court(which it should like Brady's) then that will be a huge legal precedent set.

They only have themselves to blame, inconsistent rulings for various offenses. I don't blame the NFLPA for getting involved if there was a framework in place to hand down consistent punishments there wouldn't be a problem.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Well NFL's appeal to Manzant was denied, not really surprising, now they have to see how quickly they can get before the district court.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Ezekiel Elliott’s hearing with the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals is scheduled for October 2.

It means Elliott is eligible to play at least the next two weeks. Elliott’s six-game suspension could kick in as soon as Week 5, depending on if the Fifth Circuit stays his injunction. It's more legal drama that further muddles Zeke's status. Coming off a career-worst game against Denver, Elliott's rest-of-season outlook is trending down.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

cctekguy

Staff member
Assuming the worst and Elliot begins his suspension Week 5, Who are you picking up to replace him?

Alf has been serving as Zeke's back-up the first 3 weeks. He is the obvious, yet underwhelming, choice.

I picked up Rod Smith on a lark. He's a 25 yr old nobody that has played in only 9 games during his 3 year career. He had a very good pre-season and catches the ball well.

McFadden has been a healthy scratch 3 games in a row and seems to be out of the picture. Or is he? There is something odd to me about his inactive status with no explanation all. He's still listed as #2 on the depth chart. I have a sneaking suspicion that when the suspension begins McFadden will be plugged, fresh as a daisy, and take over the lead role.

I dropped Smith and picked him up but the suspension better come quickly. Bye weeks are bearing down on us and I won't be able to hold the roster spot for long.

efactor

Coming at you
Picked them both up in two leagues where McFadden was dropped. Morris in two others. Kind of with you that Mac is the starter, but who knows?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Morris made the most of his two carries...and likely means little.

However, i think alf gets the first shot at this and is the guy to own....I hope...

I heard that a ruling is expected by the end of the week....so we should hear soon.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I think Morris will get a chance to be the guy and behind that line he should make it. McFaddy will be the COP if Morris can produce.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
rotoworld.com

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has vacated Ezekiel Elliott's temporary injunction, thereby reinstating his suspension, though Elliott is expected to immediately file a new appeal.

In the words of the Dallas Morning News' Katie Hairopoulos, the NFL "wins this round," but Elliott will seek a new injunction from the Southern District of New York. It's unclear what his odds are of getting it. At least for now, Elliott's six-game suspension is free to take hold, but things could be different by this time next week. The Cowboys are on bye for Week 6. In a league prone to opaque legal sagas, Elliott's is setting a new standard.