Convince me Matt Forte is worth picking in the top 6

Mike

Administrator
His lack of wr's are what draw me away from his production. I know Cutler is supposed to be an improvement and time will tell if that is true or myth. I know he pulled it off last year. But it just seems like he is this year's Joseph Addai.

Cutler improves that offense, no doubt about it.

I agree with you fear of Forte, but not sure if for the same reasons.

With Cutler under center, the Bears offense opens up. In 2008, Forte earned his paycheck many times over, to the tune of almost 400 touches. In 2009, this is different scenario. No longer will the Bears offense have to depend on the running back to bail them out on pass plays (63 receptions in 2008). No longer will the Bears offense need Forte to bail them out constantly on 3rd down conversions, or ultimately depend on Forte to get them a few more productive yards on 3rd and long before punting.

In 2009, the Bears offense will be much more vertical, because they have the quarterback in place to get the job done.

Overall, Forte may become even more valuable to the Bears offense in 2009, but that might not necessarily show up in fantasy stats. The man has established himself as a threat in the backfield, and is a huge part of the offense.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Great discussion folks. I like the thought that went into the discussion and I am slightly more swayed in favor of Forte being solid again this year. However, I still wouldn't touch him in the first 6 picks which would rule him out of my draft plans.

Remote Controller

Great discussion folks. I like the thought that went into the discussion and I am slightly more swayed in favor of Forte being solid again this year. However, I still wouldn't touch him in the first 6 picks which would rule him out of my draft plans.
That would rule Turner out of my top 12. :scared: j/k

ExperiencedRookie

Now I'm curious. If it's a PPR league, what 6 players do you have ahead of Forte?

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Now I'm curious. If it's a PPR league, what 6 players do you have ahead of Forte?

In PPR I would have (in no particular order) ahead of Forte:

1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Calvin Johnson
3) Brian Westbrook
4) Adrian Peterson
5) Michael Turner
6) Maurice Jones-Drew
7) LT2
8) Randy Moss
9) Chris Johnson

RUBBER DUCKIE

Forte averaged 3.9 YPC due to the horrible left side of his line. Which is why losing the first round lineman hurt so bad.

4.2 right sideline
4.0 right side
4.8 middle
3.3 left side
3.7 left sideline

His YPC was fine except for the left side, which was because the line was weak on the lt side. The Bears have addressed the line FA signing Orlando Pace and getting their 1st round pick from last year back from injury. Expect the left side of the line to be stronger this year and the YPC will correct itself.

Runnik's Hambones

Hm, there are 2 players I would not put above Forte in PPR and that's Turner and CJ. While I'm very high on both of them, especially CJ, I see Forte in the top 5 at the end of the season for PPR leagues.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Forte averaged 3.9 YPC due to the horrible left side of his line. Which is why losing the first round lineman hurt so bad.

4.2 right sideline
4.0 right side
4.8 middle
3.3 left side
3.7 left sideline

His YPC was fine except for the left side, which was because the line was weak on the rt side. The Bears have addressed the line FA signing Orlando Pace and getting their 1st round pick from last year back from injury. Expect the left side of the line to be stronger this year and the YPC will correct itself.

Solid details.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Hm, there are 2 players I would not put about Forte in PPR and that's Turner and CJ. While I'm very high on both of them, especially CJ, I see Forte in the top 5 at the end of the season for PPR leagues.

Turner I understand to be up for debate....but Megatron? Son, seriously?

alsoRHisnotmysonatleastnotoneIclaimontaxes :pickle:

ExperiencedRookie

Cal in the top 2 in PPR? That's a little silly to me.

Cal was 17th in receptions among WRs last year. He doesn't catch that many passes per game, he catches DEEP passes.

ExperiencedRookie

4.2 right sideline
4.0 right side
4.8 middle
3.3 left side
3.7 left sideline

His YPC was fine except for the left side, which was because the line was weak on the lt side. The Bears have addressed the line FA signing Orlando Pace and getting their 1st round pick from last year back from injury. Expect the left side of the line to be stronger this year and the YPC will correct itself.

Dude! Where have you been hiding with this stat for the last 2 weeks??

We have yammered on and on and on about Forte's YPC and here you sit with this delicious golden nugget of truth.

God bless you for showing up now!

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
In PPR I would have (in no particular order) ahead of Forte:

1) Larry Fitzgerald
2) Calvin Johnson
3) Brian Westbrook
4) Adrian Peterson
5) Michael Turner
6) Maurice Jones-Drew
7) LT2
8) Randy Moss
9) Chris Johnson

Cal in the top 2 in PPR? That's a little silly to me.

Cal was 17th in receptions among WRs last year. He doesn't catch that many passes per game, he catches DEEP passes.

Reading is fundamental! :pickle:

I'll take Calvin Johnson over Forte in a PPR league all day and every day.

Remote Controller

4.2 right sideline
4.0 right side
4.8 middle
3.3 left side
3.7 left sideline

We need more than 26 posts out of you! This is a gem!

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Chris Johnson over Forte?

If "Combine 40 times" suddenly becomes a roto stat, I concur.

As long as chubby Lendale's vulching goal-line TD's and my G.M. is busy drafting Javon Ringer, I'll roll the dice with Forte fending off Kevin Jones and the Other Adrian Peterson.