You make the call

• Eli Manning

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Matt Cassel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Lots of potential vs some proven ability with questionable WRs.

Your up...you make the choice, but tell me why you took em

Sgt J - you the vote for Cassel? Why?

I went with Eli because I see both of them as comparable with Cassel possibly having a higher ceiling.

Cassel has a new team, slight decrease in quality of WRs/TE, OL is not as good as NEs

Eli lost Burress but has been with the team, already knows his WRs/TE and has a solid OL.

Longterm - things might be different
Shortterm - I figure Eli has less change to adjust to and as a result should outperform Cassel this year

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
With Eli you know what your getting...crap. Without Plax probably even crappier. I'll take my chances with Cassel.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Yeah I was Cooley. I went with Cassel for no other reason but I think the reward is worth the risk. I like his WRs and chances with softer defenses in the division.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Maybe breaking this down in a "Tale of the Tape" format might make more sense since these guys are so close? I'll use the common factors I personally look at when breaking QB ties.

Track Record: Manning. I have a complete body of work from Eli and I know basically what to expect. Cassel has been a starter for exactly one season since his senior year of high school and is entering a completely new situation. Cassel may possess slightly higher upside, but only if KC aggressively improves his weapons.

O-Line: Manning. Giants have one of the best in the NFL, KC's was once elite but is currently rebuilding.

Running Game: Manning. Jacobs and Bradshaw vs. an aging Larry Johnson and dynamic but unproven Jamaal Charles. If I'm a DC and only have to worry about defending against a 3 yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust running game, I'm committing more assets to stopping Cassel.

Receiving Corps: Cassel. This judgement is solely based around Dwayne Bowe. He's an elite talent and legit #1 WR that the Giants don't currently have on their roster. Losing Gonzo will make his life infinitely tougher in 2009 though. I may give the Giants the nod on overall depth, depending on how their rookies and young players step up after losing Plax and Toomer. If they end up trading for Bolden or Braylon, this vote will obviously swing to Eli.

Divisional Strength: Manning. Surprised? Take a look at the defensive backfields of the AFC West vs. those in the NFC East. Obviously the overall quality of teams is no contest (NFC East), but Cassel won't be going directly against JaMarcus Russell or Kyle Orton twice each. He will, however be going against Antonio Cromartie, Champ Bailey, and Nnamdi Asomugha.

So, in my little world, Eli Manning would get the nod over Matt Cassel if I'm dead set on getting my QB1 in the middle rounds and those 2 are sitting there. I like safe, conservative picks over risky guys with upside if given the choice, and at least for this year, that leads me to Mr. Manning.

I do like Bowe to have a big season but not Engram will be effective but at this stage I no longer feel the love. I am not so impressed with the depth behind them. Bowe/Engram could very well outperform NY's top 2 but I do like the depth in NY more and have to hope someone like Nicks impresses early.

The D's are better in the NFC East but not enough to sway me as I think Oak and Den's will be improved.

ExperiencedRookie

Something to consider as well would be that KC will always be behind. Trailing in games typically leads to more passing.

The NYG defense will keep that team in more games and will have more rushing attempts.

Not sure that is enough to make me vote for Cassel, but it's worth thinking about.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Something to consider as well would be that KC will always be behind. Trailing in games typically leads to more passing.

It also leads to obvious passing situations late in games and the possibility of a higher INT rate. Cassel didn't have to deal with that much in NE.

Fair points though. I'm just not looking to roll the dice on potential when drafting my QB1. You really have an uphill climb in most formats if you have a "league average" QB. It can be overcome, but you better have a flawless draft with some late-round WR's/RB's that pan out.

ExperiencedRookie

Fair points though. I'm just not looking to roll the dice on potential when drafting my QB1.

If you're choosing between Cassel and Eli as your QB1, you have done something wrong.

Currently, based on ADP, Cassel is the 14th QB selected, and Eli is the 18th.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I only play in 12-team (or more) leagues, so who are the 11 other QB's you'd pick before these 2?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Neither.

NY did not replace Plax...and lost Ward. I think the offense is in a world of hurt in this division next year.

Cassell smacks of a system Qb...and KC is not running that system. Had they retained Gonzales...I would be more comfortable...but with a bad Rb situation..and only really Bowe at receiver......yuck.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Yes you do. It maybe like choosing between Mad Dog and Thunderbird when you wanted Jack Daniels, but a choice is a choice.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
thunderbird.jpg

I only play in 12-team (or more) leagues, so who are the 11 other QB's you'd pick before these 2?

Redraft of Dynasty?

Brady
Brees
Cutler
Delhomme - this is a toss up for a redraft
Edwards - counting on 1 year of relative peace from TO
Hasselbeck - redraft only
Manning
McNabb
Palmer... maybe
Quinn - ok maybe not draft ahead but he will finish ahead of both :)
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Rodgers
Romo
Ryan
Schaub - if you think this is the year for a break out
Warner

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
That the Thunderbird bottle is sitting next to a pack of Greedy People Cigarettes (GPC) tells me all I need to know.