Will the NFL expand Internationally?

Scout200

There's been a lot of talk about the NFL expanding internationally... Do you think the NFL will give up home games in order to reach out to a larger base? How do you think this will impact the NFL?

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
Well at one point I remember Goodell mentioning a 17 game season, so that teams no longer have to give up a home game. 8 home, 8 road and 1 neutral. Or maybe that's the plan now with the 18. Play 8 home, 8 road, but an additionaly 2 that are at an international venue but one would be considered a home and the other a road game.

I can't see them organizing 2 international games per team, that would be too much work and probably not worth the effort. I think they need to try other markets and stop concentrating on cities that have already hosted it. I can't believe they renewed the agreement for the Bills. I live in the Greater Toronto Area and it's not the same atmosphere as actually going to Buffalo. I'd rather drive down to Buffalo and watch the game there, than watch it here.

Also, they need to try and hold a game in Germany, Spain or some other country. They keep saying London is going well the last two years. It's a smoke screen. Most of those fans are travelling to London to watch the game. If London was such a good market, then why did they lose the London Monarchs when they had a football team when it was the World Football League. Also if they are going to have another one in Canada, try other markets like Montreal because they have die hard fans too, but don't insult them by giving them the Bills. Have something like the Jets/Patriots there. Maybve even Vancouver. Football is growing in popularity in Japan and China, they deserve a shot. Maybe even try Scotland.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
Also, I think that teams that have international games like to overseas, they need to have a bye week before or after. Just to allow them time to adjust and get ready. I think it would be sick if there were a game in Japan. They would go nuts there. I would be more scared if they had a game in China because of their government. Last thing I'd wanna hear is someone is detained and not be allowed to return to the US. But someone I know who visited assured me it's the media making more out of it then it really is.

Scout200

Well at one point I remember Goodell mentioning a 17 game season, so that teams no longer have to give up a home game. 8 home, 8 road and 1 neutral. Or maybe that's the plan now with the 18. Play 8 home, 8 road, but an additionaly 2 that are at an international venue but one would be considered a home and the other a road game.

I can't see them organizing 2 international games per team, that would be too much work and probably not worth the effort. I think they need to try other markets and stop concentrating on cities that have already hosted it. I can't believe they renewed the agreement for the Bills. I live in the Greater Toronto Area and it's not the same atmosphere as actually going to Buffalo. I'd rather drive down to Buffalo and watch the game there, than watch it here.

Also, they need to try and hold a game in Germany, Spain or some other country. They keep saying London is going well the last two years. It's a smoke screen. Most of those fans are travelling to London to watch the game. If London was such a good market, then why did they lose the London Monarchs when they had a football team when it was the World Football League. Also if they are going to have another one in Canada, try other markets like Montreal because they have die hard fans too, but don't insult them by giving them the Bills. Have something like the Jets/Patriots there. Maybve even Vancouver. Football is growing in popularity in Japan and China, they deserve a shot. Maybe even try Scotland.

Excellent point!! I'm pretty split on the idea.

As you know, there are only 16 games during a 17 week season. Typically, a team plays 2 home games in the pre-season, and 8 home games in the regular season. It's nothing like the NBA where 82 games are played by each team and half of those are home games. Taking away one home game from fans is a big deal. Yet, many believe that giving the brand an international presence will actually help provide a better experience for the fans and help local economies in the long run.

Vicious_Machine

Just stay out of Canada!! The bills games here have been horribly organized and planned, and no Tailgate party? Lets all dress up in ties and sits quietly and watch! BOOOOOoooooooo

eaglechick

I'm back :)
the frankfurt galaxy had a huge following here and any games would be well appreciated!!! that said it seems impractical to have the games so far away. i think it's a huge disadvantage for the traveling teams dunno:

C

conan35

I have to agree on at least two things here;
Playing in London is a smoke screen, most of those fans are travelling to London to watch the game (this is a big event in the American football community).
the Frankfurt Galaxy and the Düsseldorf Rhein Fire had/have huge following here.
What I remember is that Goodell was pro NFL Europe.
Without have a team based in Europe, it will always be just a big event to go see a real NFL game. The best thing for the NFL and gaining more international fans is to restart the league, with a TV deal in place. The fans will rally around their home teams and the states side team they are assigned to. This will also help out with player/coach evaluations.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It'll be a long, long time in coming before every nfl team is playing a game over seas. I also do not support such action by the league.

xqj47alpha

Banned
Its way too far to have teams constantly flying half way around the world to play games.
Sarge, you said the same thing twice.

The NFL can't expand beyond the continent. Well, not until they work the kinks out of the "Transporter".
But wouldn't it be funny if they put teams in Europe or Japan and not two in LA?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Instead of expanding internationally, they should help start other leagues internationally to help grow the sport. As mentioned above, Germany is a good market.

There are no international markets better than some of the open ones we have here in the states.

Los Angeles, San Antonio, Portland, Salt Lake City. Plenty of viable domestic markets without teams. With the NFL's schedule and model, you can be pretty creative in their placement. For example the New England Patriots located between two urban centers. You could straddle mid sized markets, like Richmond and Norfolk by putting a stadium in Williamsburg.

Grow the sport internationally before considering expanding the NFL's footprint.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
they don't have to go over seas to go international. Potential for Toronto to take over the Bills is a threat. Not to mention the huge crowds they got in Mexico. But it won't be anytime soon, as they are struggling now for a new CBA to include drug testing, and longer schedule and other things...so international play will probably be 5 years off once this CBA is close to coming to a close......assuming they get a deal done.

Arctic Dawgs

they don't have to go over seas to go international. Potential for Toronto to take over the Bills is a threat. Not to mention the huge crowds they got in Mexico. But it won't be anytime soon, as they are struggling now for a new CBA to include drug testing, and longer schedule and other things...so international play will probably be 5 years off once this CBA is close to coming to a close......assuming they get a deal done.

Keep the damn Bills in Buffalo. We don't want an NFL team in TO. Them goddamn eastern, leftwing, commie, pinko, lesbians would then make thier team all of Canadas home team. I would have to watch them every bloody week