Will LB Mario Williams stay a Texan?

Coachnorm

If the Houston Texans hope to retain impending free-agent LB Mario Williams, they will have to hope Williams will settle for a hometown discount. The Texans are salary cap-strapped, and they also want to re-sign restricted free-agent RB Arian Foster to an extension. it will be interesting to see what Mario will have on his mind, you know Texans would love to have him back.

But man, these defensive guys have been getting some great contracts recently. If The Steelers use the Franchise Tag on WR Mike Wallace it costs 9.6 million. If the Texans use the Franchise tag on Mario the cost is reportedly 22.9 million. It would be geat to see him stay as the D would be Huge!!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I've read rumors that the Packers were interested but those were shot down in a story today because of the huge $$ Mario will command. I guess we'll find out just how much he likes Houston if he stays there for less money. Wouldn't that be refreshing in today's world?

Coachnorm

$ 22.9 million as A Franchise Tag number is based on 120% of Marios salary last year. Most times the Franchise Tag is based on the average of the top 5 players at the position. I don't know for sure, right off the top of my head, but I think that if you are already a top 5 paid at your position then they add 20% to your existing salary????

Like the Texans a lot of teams would like Mario but in reality probably most don't have that sort of cap space. So the market for Mario's talent is great but the number of actuall suitors is probably small. So a hometown discount to stay not really to far fetched.
Other suitors will also point to mario's injury and attempt to lowball him somewhat so a small discount may keep Mario in the market.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Mario is gone. Why? They can't afford to tag him, and he has stated he won't give a discount. I will add that the defense played as well and sometimes better without him. So letting him go isn't a bad idea....other than you hate to let him go for nothing. They have bigger issues, in that Foster is also a UFA, and they will need the tag there probably.

bobbeaux

foster is an rfa . . . they don't have to work out a deal this year, although they want to . . . but, yeah, with their current cap situation, it doesn't look likely that mario will stay . . . of course, if some restructuring goes on and they get some cap relief, it's not out of the question . . . ;)

jwmann2

Banned
Franchise tags are pointless. All kinds of money blown on one player and most times, it ends up being his last season in that team's uniforms. Houshmandzadeh was a good example in Cincinnati. The next season, the Bengals couldn't compete with what he wanted for a contract.

Coachnorm

Free agent OLB/DE Mario Williams insists becoming the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history is "really not that big of a deal" to him.
"I'm not worried about that," Williams said. "I was the first pick, and I've already had everything I really wanted, so my biggest thing is to be in a good position, a good scheme, a good system and continuing my career." Williams' hope is that the Texans will make him an offer rich enough to stay in Houston. "I love it here," Williams said. "The team is right where it needs to be. The pieces fit, but it's part of business. Whatever happens, happens."

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
foster is an rfa . . . they don't have to work out a deal this year, although they want to . . . but, yeah, with their current cap situation, it doesn't look likely that mario will stay . . . of course, if some restructuring goes on and they get some cap relief, it's not out of the question . . . ;)
True he is an RFA, however, with the new cba, the rules have changed. First change is the highest contract tender ONLY gets you a first round pick. In the past it was a 1st and 3rd. Secondly, caps are more rigid, and many teams were able to carry over excess cap from last year(another new item of the CBA) so they have more money to spend than Houston does. So they may HAVE to tag Foster to make sure they keep him. This is the exact same issue Pittsburgh has with Wallace this year.

bobbeaux

that would be the way to go . . . tag foster and work on a deal for mario . . . that all hinges on being able to get some relief to the current cap situation . . . ;)

but, i also hear ya on the fact that the def carried on without him quite well . . . mario is better as a 4-3 end, but was playing decent at olb . . . they have to get something for him if they let him go, but the texans are already lacking in depth at olb so he'll have to be replaced regardless . . . i hope they can work it out.

1 Crazy Commish

If the Houston Texans hope to retain impending free-agent LB Mario Williams, they will have to hope Williams will settle for a hometown discount. The Texans are salary cap-strapped, and they also want to re-sign restricted free-agent RB Arian Foster to an extension. it will be interesting to see what Mario will have on his mind, you know Texans would love to have him back.

But man, these defensive guys have been getting some great contracts recently. If The Steelers use the Franchise Tag on WR Mike Wallace it costs 9.6 million. If the Texans use the Franchise tag on Mario the cost is reportedly 22.9 million. It would be geat to see him stay as the D would be Huge!!

I would love to see the Texan Defense stay the same. That would make it very interesting, but hey he's not worth that much (even if the NFL was in the real world)!!!LOL