Why wasn't your team in the playoffs?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
We all have favorite teams in the NFL and some of us have a couple or more. I'm a Saint's fan and when the season started I felt good that we were about to rebound from our recent down times. In 2013 our defense became a force. What? New Orleans with a legitimate defense. Well the year before seemed to indicate that Ryan had us on track but folks it was a mirage, pure and simple. Despite signing what were thought to be a couple of key pieces in the off season we ended up a laughing stock. Bad, you betcha. Worse yet we are hanging onto Ryan as DC for another season. Why? Look at the Cowboys and learn. They dumped Ryan and we should have too. Saint's woes were not all on the defensive side of the ball however. Brees wasn't up to Bree's standards. Graham got rich in the off season and fell off of the map, preditably. Colston is over the hill. Sproles flew to the Eagles. The offensive line forgot how to pass block.

I adopted another team this year because they drafted a favorite college player of mine. The Bengals gained my support by bringing in Jeremy Hill. They further gained my respect when they realized quicker than even I had hoped that he's the best RB on their team. I'm expecting better things for the Bengals in 2015 than I am for my Saints.

What about you? What went wrong?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, as an Eagles fan the key was injuries. We lost our starting Qb, lost almost all of the starting OL at one point or another, and Rb was hindered for a while as well.

The defense also needs more help, especially in the secondary.

Remote Controller

Detroit fans got screwed!! Cowboy fans got screwed! Saints fans got screwed, cuz that division was handed to them and they didn't want it. I think they shot their wad at home vs, Green Bay.

Bubba

Rams. Lost their starting QB, again. Had Brian Schottenheimer for an OC (I feel for ya, Bulldogs). Jake Long injury and poor play at center and right guard. Not going to Tre Mason sooner. The ineffectiveness of Tavon Austin, downfield (see Schottenheimer). Janoris Jenkin's ability to get burned 3-4 times a game (oh sure, he has 6 pick sixes in his short career, but he doesn't make picks unless they're thrown right at him. Never seen him fight for a ball). And last but not least, PENALTIES, PENALTIES, and PENALTIES.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
The Vikes don't have enough talent to get to the playoffs, yet. Not sure, with this management, that they ever will.

cctekguy

Staff member
Honestly, I think the Chiefs won more games than they should have this season.

A couple of years ago, their defense looked to be on their way to greatness but a few key injuries and lack of depth has kept them in the "pretty good" category.

But D isn't the problem. A very suspect O-line, an even more suspect WR corp, and a noodle armed "play it safe" QB have made this offense too easy to defend against. Chiefs have, what I believe, is the finest assortment of RB talent in the league. Charles, Knile Davis, Cyrus Gray and De'Anthony Thomas. All are startable except Thomas, who is better served as a situation back.

Combine this with a coach that refuses to accept a "run first" mentality and you get a team that can't get a big lead and certainly can't come from behind. They can, however, out last you in a low scoring grinder.

Stop Charles and you win.

8 men in the box, 9 men in the box. Doesn't matter. Smith isn't going to throw it more than 10 yds and it will be to his RB or TE.

For the first time in modern NFL history, a professional football team failed to complete a single TD pass to a WR. NONE! ALL SEASON!

Do you think defenses lost sleep over their KC match-up? HAHAHAHA. Play all linebackers in the secondary and keep 1 safety deep in case Charles breaks one.

Chase Daniels is the young QB that all the KC fans are clamoring for, but he's not the answer either. He's put up nice numbers in limited playing time but he's another one of those "play to not lose, Brian Hoyer types".

Chiefs have done well in recent drafts so maybe the GM can pull another feather out of his ass, but until they get an NFL caliber QB nothing is going to change in the "Show Me" state.