Who's the most famous Cardinal of all time?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Those that quickly come to mind:
Mel Gray - Wr
Started as a DB, and was pretty good, but moved to Wr and excelled. One of there best and one of the great game breakers our there.
Otis Anders - Rb
Was a heck of a player in St.Louis, but is better known for his superbowl run for the NY Giants.
Conrad Dobler - OL
One of the dirtiest players in the game, and is well known for it.
Dan Dierdorf - OL
Making more of a name for himself in the booth than on the field, but considered a top lineman of the time.

Jetdoc

The only one I remember is Otis Anderson, and maybe David Boston for his potential (and later bust)...

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I had to really think on this one. One that came to mind was Pat Tillman for everything that happened with him.

Dan Patrick came up with one that made me :biglaugh:, Rod Tidwell! Got to say, good ol' Rod may be as famous as any to actually play for them. They also talked about the striking similarities to Anquan Boldin....

Mike

Administrator
Definitely had to go with Rod Tidwell, LOL.

I am going to go a different direction that most though, as we are digging up players who have played for Cardinal teams that did nothing.

I'm going to say Larry Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald is a highly popular period, in a different era of football, but that shouldn't take away from his popularity. Too add to that, he is highly responsible for taking this team to a level this franchise isn't used to seein, a Super Bowl.

Runnik's Hambones

Yeah, I have to say that this year, we have like 3-4 members of that team that will go down as some of the best Cardinals ever. As far as current career though, I still have to go with Boldin. Fitz will likely have as good if not better of a career than Boldin, but for that team, even when they were crap, Boldin was still a stud.

Mike

Administrator
The popular pick by many right now when I hear this being talked about is Dierdorf. I have to wonder though, if you asked this question to people last year, and didn't give them the opportunity to look anything up on the internet, what percentage of people would even know that Diedorf played for the Cardinals?

I'm not sure a high percentage even knows for sure that he played football.

Runnik's Hambones

The popular pick by many right now when I hear this being talked about is Dierdorf. I have to wonder though, if you asked this question to people last year, and didn't give them the opportunity to look anything up on the internet, what percentage of people would even know that Diedorf played for the Cardinals?

Dierdorf!!!??? Stop making names up Mike!

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator

I don't know Mike. He and Dobler were very well known as a very dirty and powerful OL in St.Louis. I may be showing my age here, but in the 70's...the Cards were considered a top O-line for quite a while.

Mike

Administrator
I don't know Mike. He and Dobler were very well known as a very dirty and powerful OL in St.Louis. I may be showing my age here, but in the 70's...the Cards were considered a top O-line for quite a while.

Yes, you are showing your age here. Not saying that as a bad thing, just the truth. I know where they played as well. Not as old as you, but old enough to know that era of football and remember watching some of it even.

The 20-35 year old football fan didn't see these people play, and without taking the effort to learn the history of the NFL, are going to have little to no knowledge of these guys.

If it wasn't for Madden's football game, just think how many people would have no idea that John Madden ever coached football, much less coached the Raiders to a Super Bowl win.

mills

I would have to say Boldin as well. For all the crap that he has been through this year and to still play a critical roll in taking them to the Superbowl, I think he is a highly popular player with the Cards and will be for a long while if the Cards make the right decisions.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
personally i think its definitely aeneas williams. that guy was a pro bowler year in and year out and a fixture on that team through years of losing.

efactor

Coming at you
Larry Wilson............

HOF and one of the greatest safeties of all time. I believe he was voted to both the all time NFL team and the all ugly team............

dukdown

Banned
beat me to it. Larry Wilson and that big toothless smile was one of the more enduring images from the Cardinals' franchise.

As far as the greatest Cardinal, I have to agree that I think we're seeing it right now with Fitzgerald.