Who will be the next coach at Tennessee?

Remote Controller

I think it would be really cool if Riley took that job after turning down the USC job. I know it ain't happening but it would be true irony.

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
OK....been on the phone and on the blogs and it seems these are the main names that are being considered.

Will Muschamp, Texas supposedly already offered
David Cutcliffe, Duke
Skip Holtz, ECU
Troy Calhoun, Air Force

Chris Petersen, Boise State
Gary Patterson, TCU
Butch Davis, North Carolina
Randy Edsall, Connecticut
Jim Leavitt and Mike Leach: God, I hope not.

And they have Ed O. on tape and copies of text messages telling the early entrance scholarship players (some of whom were in the room) that they have a scholarships to USC and to apply for a transfer. We'll see where this goes!!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Negative. He is taking over Texas when Mack retires...which I get the feeling will be sooner rather than later. The consensus around here is he is not interested, but I wont crucify him he jumps. However, I think he is in a much better position staying right here in Austin.

David Cutcliffe, Duke
I dont see this one happeneing. He is building something at Duke, but then again, it is Duke LOL.

Skip Holtz, ECU
I think Holtz could do a great job at Tennesee. Be a nice hire.

Troy Calhoun, Air Force
Is he ready to take on this kind of job?

Chris Petersen, Boise State
Would also be a good hire. He would need to be able to build the offense to his taste however, and pretty quickly.

Gary Patterson, TCU
This might be the best hire on the list. Patterson flat out knows how to win, has great Texas recruiting ties, and will bring the discipline the program needs.

Butch Davis, North Carolina
Not really sure about this one.

Randy Edsall, Connecticut
I think they would pass on him.

Jim Leavitt and Mike Leach: God, I hope not.
Leavitt would be a good hire. I dont think he is guilty of anything he is accused of, and he knows how to build a program. That said, I dont think Leavitt is SEC ready.

Leach................wow. That would be crazy.

And they have Ed O. on tape and copies of text messages telling the early entrance scholarship players (some of whom were in the room) that they have a scholarships to USC and to apply for a transfer. We'll see where this goes!!

Well, its a little unethical, but its there.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Negative. He is taking over Texas when Mack retires...which I get the feeling will be sooner rather than later. The consensus around here is he is not interested, but I wont crucify him he jumps. However, I think he is in a much better position staying right here in Austin.

Apparently as of this morning he remains Tennesee's #1 target and they are going to go hard for him.

Other names coming up include Ole Miss' Houston Nutt and Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Apparently some trustees have reached out to Phillip Fulmer to return as either coach OR Athletic Director...and hes listening....

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
Yeah Sarge, that's what i'm hearing. I was hoping he would want to get back to the GA/TN area and back to the SEC.

Fulmer for AD might be doable, but no way he comes back as coach.

Watch out for Cutcliffe!!!!

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
That seems to be the going rate right now GTL. This AD has made/had such a damn mess up there they need someone with ties to the program and strength to come in and clean house.

I thought Kiffin was a good hire for UT, but I have to agree with media members when they say a Pat Summit or a Phillip Fulmer would have seen through Kiffin in 2 seconds.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Apparently Will Muschamp and Skip Holtz have declined the job. Im hearing the focus is now on David Cutcliffe.

GoToLeep

Fantasy Football Champ!!
Just got a call from my friend in the AD at UT. Looks like Cutcliffe is going to be the man. Working out particulars. Should be an official offer by this evening sometime.