Who should i keep?

2minutedrill

I know its early but this is my first year and trying to understand things. Below are some of the guys i want to keep (4 keeper ppr league expanding to 16 player roster).
for example keep big ben lose a 3rd rd or keep a.smith and hope he's there later? (not knowing here is what i would keep-Big ben, s.jackson,s.rice,and celek)
My draft pick will probably be later because i backed into playoffs these year as wildcard in 12 person league.
What would you experts do?

Alex Smith-16
Big Ben-3

S. Jackson-1
R Williams-10
Ganther-16
McGahee-16

D Mason-6
Sidney Rice-16
Roy Williams-14

K Winslow-7
Brent Celek-16

Ravens-16
Bengals-16

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Celek and Rice for sure. If Ricky stays healthy I'd likely hang on to him at a 10. I'd never keep Ben at a 3 no way no how. Then IMO it's down to Ganther at a 16 or Jackson at a 1. I'd go Ganther.

Rice at a 16, oh that makes me ill.

BTW I erred, R Williams is a 16 as well.

2minutedrill

really on jackson, i figured a for sure on him. he was my #1 fpts getter by far. figured draft time there won't be to much to pick from.
Rice was just lucky.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Sarge, Miller, and Chris are great at this. I'll be curious to see what if any advice they give. Remember try to make Sarge laugh out loud, sometimes it pays, huh Sarge.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I like my early draft choices and think Gather is a better value at 16 then Jackson at a 1 but I'll be curious to what the experts here think about keeping Jackson for a 1. You're right about your draft position, you'll be between 9-12 according to where you finish.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'll be facing a simular tough choice as to whether to keep Wayne for a one or not. Starting 3 wides next year I might.

cctekguy

Staff member
This will be new for all of us, Ralph. By having 4 keepers we are essentially removing the top 48 players from the draft. Our 1st round in the draft will be comparable to the 4th round in a redraft.

I agree with Mud that losing a #1 for Jackson sounds a bit pricey, but who will be there for you to pick up with your #1. I can promise you that if you drop Jackson someone else will spend a #1 on him....in a hurry.

...and even though Celek is a steal @ 16, I don't think I'd keep him. One of the few positions that will have quality players available in the draft will be TE. Keeping Celek would depend alot on how Ganther fits into the Redskins plans after Portis and Betts are healthy. If Ganther is the clear #1 in Wash. then I'd keep him and let Celek go.

Other keepers would be Jackson, Rice and Williams.

I would NOT keep one of your QBs.

Covet your RBs. There's just not gonna be any to choose from come draft time except rookies.

Khubbard71

I would NOT keep one of your QBs.

Covet your RBs. There's just not gonna be any to choose from come draft time except rookies.

Next year you will have plenty of opportunities to pick up a QB, TE, and Defense. RB's are golden in most keeper leagues, unless you hold the golden WR goose. Just remember that TD's win championships, and keeping the TD's flowing will mean the difference between making the playoffs, and watching from the bench come December.

Of course there are always exceptions to every rule so just make sure the RB's or first, WR's second, QB's Third (If you have Manning or Romo).

:nannie::nannie::nannie:

2minutedrill

Portis says he'll be back, but looks like zorn won't. are qb's really that disposable? big ben is usually around top 10 in passyds and ptds.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Here's my take. First off, by expanding to 16 teams I think QB's take a big jump in value, ask anyone who has been in a 16 team league and QB's become tough to come by at times. That said, still unsure about giving your 3rd for Big Ben.

Here are my thoughts:
Jackson - 1 - I know it's your #1, but you have to keep Jackson. He get "any" support around him at all and he explodes. Add into this that he is easily your most valueable trading asset long term.

Rice - 16 - No brainer from a simple bargain standpoint. Nice keeper, giving nothing for him.

Celek - 16 - Not as much of a lock as some think, but due to lack of other options might as well lock your TE spot in and worry about other spots in the draft. Just not a fan of keeping TE's unless they are in the elite category and I think he's just outside of that level. But given your roster, it makes sense.

Now this is where it gets messy. To be honest, no wild about any of them, so if you can swing a trade to pick up a 4th keeper, that would be a good route to explore.

Let's start by eliminating some of your options:
Toss out the D's, not worth it, draft one, don't keep one.
Winslow for a 7th, nope, especially with keeping Celek.
Mason at a 6, no way
Willis, pass, his best times are gone and Ray Rice is a STUD
Ganther, no way, don't get caught up in him late season, still a lot of backs who all when given the ball have produced. Not keeper caliber.

So that leaves Smith (16); Ben (3); Rasta Williams (16); Roy Willaims (14)

I gave my opinions on QB's earlier, but I could not pull the trigger on a 3rd for Ben. Smith for a 16 is actually intriguing, but as much as Miami runs, he's the best bet here. Only thing to consider is if you'd rather go young instead of keeping a part time RB who is 30+. If that is the case, keep Smith for the 16; at the very least, you have your b/u QB spot filled and can find another bargin QB and be set.

So:
Williams (16) if age does not bother you.
or
Smith (16) if Rasta age is too much for you to get over.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I concur with the boss on Celek, Rice, and Jackson. Good young core.

For the 4th spot:

Alot of this to me depends on what happens with Portis. I need to know who the new head coach will be. If its Shanny, then you know Portis, Betts, Gaither, Miller, the guy on the couch, Pope John Paul II, my ex wife, and the guy who was in the 27th row around seat 100 of the this years New Jersey Nets 15th consecutive loss are all going to get carries. If its a guy who will stick to 2 or 3 backs instead of 2 or 300 backs then Gaither might be worth the shot in the dark.

If he isnt, then Im looking at keeping a RB2, and I would go with Williams. We have an article which should be posted pretty soon (I think), in which we interview a resident expert about some situations headed into 2010 and beyond. Ronnie Browns status is covered there, and I think youll like the reading.

cctekguy

Staff member
Here's my take. First off, by expanding to 16 teams I think QB's take a big jump in value, ask anyone who has been in a 16 team league and QB's become tough to come by at times. That said, still unsure about giving your 3rd for Big Ben.

We are going to 16 roster spots, not 16 teams. Still has an affect on QB value but not as exaggerated.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
oh wow, that's a HUGE difference.

I would likely keep Ricky then if you have to, but would try like hell to make a trade to strengthen my 4th keeper.

2minutedrill

Well we'll see if we can motivate some trades then! Do i get the draft valus of a traded player also? ie. if i trade for a player who was #2 draft last year, i then lose my #2 draft? if so then you gotta watch who u try to get?