Who is the best backup QB in the game?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Shaun Hill in Detroit, he is a great stop gap. Batch in Pittsburgh, when he can stay healthy also has been successful. Volek who WAS in S.D. was a great game fill in, even in Tenn. when he was there. But I just read he got cut and they re-signed Whitehurst. Redman in Atlanta isn't terrible either.

I would say though that after Hill, Orton in Dallas rates a strong #2.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Shaun Hill in Detroit, he is a great stop gap. Batch in Pittsburgh, when he can stay healthy also has been successful. Volek who WAS in S.D. was a great game fill in, even in Tenn. when he was there. But I just read he got cut and they re-signed Whitehurst. Redman in Atlanta isn't terrible either.

I would say though that after Hill, Orton in Dallas rates a strong #2.
I agree with all of the above.

RLLD

Shaun Hill is pretty solid, every time he has to step in he not only avoids losing the game, he quite often does something effective to win a game. Pretty underrated guy actually.

Jackson

The Green Phoenix
Staff member
I would go 1) T.J. Yates; 2) Shaun Hill; and 3) Charlie Batch. I'd lay money on any back-up Eagles QB not named Vince Young.

Campbell and Orton are only back-ups by circumstance. Orton hasn't been a back-up since his early days as a Bear, and Campbell's never been one yet. They're just failed starters.

What, no love for John Skelton, or is he considered a mediocre starter? Since he's "backing up" Kevin Kolb, it's probably the latter, sooner or later.

It feels weird to call Locker or Kaepernick "back-ups" because the plan is clearly to go them when they're ready.

Question: Who's the better historical back-up quarterback, Jeff Hostetler or Earl Morrall?