Which Qb is the best fit....where?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, talk is really getting heated now, due to two things recently, well actually three.

1) Senior bowl is over, and we got a much better view of the "other" draftable Qbs in this draft, in other words NOT Burrows or Tua.
2) Rivers will NOT be the Qb in LAC land.
3) By a few reports I have read and seen, the plan this year was set for Brady to do the full FA look, and then all parties decide what best fit is.

Here is the issues we are facing.

Top Qbs in draft as most sites have listed:
1) Joe Burrows
2) Tua Tagovailoa
3) Justin Hebert
4) - 6) Jordan Love, Jake Fromm and Jacob Eason

Top FA Qbs - as they sit now
1) Tom Brady
2) Drew Brees - he has stated retirement or Saints...
3) Philip Rivers
4) Teddy Bridgewater
5) Jameis Winston
6) Taysom Hill - Restricted FA - so will come with pick cost depending on tender given
7) Ryan Tannehill
8) Marcus Mariota
9) Case Keenum

Players that may be available by trade or due to being cut:
1) Andy Dalton
2) Derek Carr
3) Cam Newton
4) Joe Flacco
5) Nick Foles
6) Josh Rosen

So where do they all go?
Cincinnati will draft QB - so I don't see them ponying up for one of the big vets. Letting Andy go for value though could help rebuild
Miami - is drafting QB, with Fitz being the place holder
LAC - any guess - they could draft - high enough to get Hebert at least - or they could go FA - Brady? Bridgewater?
Carolina will be a key team - do they let Cam go, get the savings, and start fresh with new owner and coach? To me THIS is the perfect place for Taysom Hill - he is Cam clone.
New Orleans - they can't keep all three - So if Brees retires - I see them trying to keep Bridgewater and Hill, of Brees plays I think Bridgewater is gone. Look for first round tender on Hill
Tampa Bay - ??? - They are high enough they might snag an Hebert if he drops. Do they like Love or Fromm or Eason??? Or try to get Cam or Bridgewater?
Tennesee - If I am Tenn. I do NOT pay big money for Tannehill. I would much, much rather have Dalton or Carr if they come free. Rivers also an option. Brady?
Indianapolis - I can see a big push by Indy to get Rivers, trade Brissett and then draft a developmental guy like Love or Fromm or Eason
Jacksonville - is Minshew the answer, nope. Can he care take while you draft future? Maybe. I am not sure they can afford to cut Foles, so they may just be stuck as is.
Las Vegas - this is the one I just don't get. I keep hearing they will push for Brady...Why? They are NOT that close to getting to playoffs or Superbowl, and would be better off continuing the rebuild for future. Draft next Qb if you don't like Carr, but don't waste money on Brady who is short term at best and will cost $$$$$$$
New England - assuming Tom goes, they need long term fix.

As I see it, there are only three first round Qbs - Burrows, Tua and Hebert. Of those three, Burrows is the only one IMO that will start year one. Due to need alone. Hebert will need time to develop more, and Tua won't be healthy enough IMO.

So this could be the most interesting FA QB period we have seen in some time. I wonder if someone will push the envelope and push for Dak from Dallas?

Remote Controller

I don't know, Indy has the developmental guy in Kelly already. He lit up the preseason last year. I could see them taking a vet for two years and turning it over to Kelly.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I don't know, Indy has the developmental guy in Kelly already. He lit up the preseason last year. I could see them taking a vet for two years and turning it over to Kelly.
I am pretty sure they released him again, and he has a ton of baggage

Phicinfan

Administrator
Yup, he is still there per a couple of sites. Still don't think he is the answer though. Just me I guess.

Walter34

The Bears are in play for one of the guys listed in the opening post - no sure who but likely one of the lower tier guys.

Also, I don't think Tyson Hill has shown that he can be a consistent QB. He is a great athlete and gadget player but what have we seen really? Any team would be foolish to give a 1st for him. He is probably best on a big time creative offence like the Saints or KC. For them he is worth 5-7M a year.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The Bears are in play for one of the guys listed in the opening post - no sure who but likely one of the lower tier guys.
I can see Dalton or Mariota there, I actually like Mariota in that offense with his ability to run.

Also, I don't think Tyson Hill has shown that he can be a consistent QB. He is a great athlete and gadget player but what have we seen really? Any team would be foolish to give a 1st for him. He is probably best on a big time creative offence like the Saints or KC. For them he is worth 5-7M a year.
I don't disagree. I think most are going by what HC and other coaches for N.O. are saying on him. I have seen reports for a few years that they think he could be the heir apparent for Brees. But no, I would not give up a 1st rounder for him.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The plot thickens, Brees has instagramed he will be back for 2020, but still needs a deal with N.O.

Remote Controller

He is over 30 and only thrown 13 passes. He was oft injured in college. I say they work a cap friendly deal with Brees, use Hill considerably more this season and try to make some hay with teddy.

Walter34

Teddy is likely looking for 20M. Brees 30M? and then Hill, who knows? The saints can't afford > 50M for QB.

Unless Teddy gets a starting job I think he goes elsewhere for both money and opportunity.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Teddy is likely looking for 20M. Brees 30M? and then Hill, who knows? The saints can't afford > 50M for QB.

Unless Teddy gets a starting job I think he goes elsewhere for both money and opportunity.
I don't see anyway they keep all three unless Teddy and Brees take team friendly deals. They will 1st round tender Hill, which will lock him in at around $2-$4 million. He will become the back up and then Brees will make a deal. So I would expect Teddy to be elsewhere.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
That's all well and good but it depends on Teddy who showed no sign of wanting out of New Orleans last season. He turned down what was expected to be a starting job to stay on the sidelines with the Saints. Now he had a very good 5-6 weeks filling in for Brees and many say he is now worth $30M. Is he? Not in my opinion but if he wants to start he'll be gone and it'll be for more than the $20M figure I see tossed around on this thread. Hill is the future of this team whether that's a good thing long term or not we'll have to see. Watching every play last year, real games and preseason, Hill is much, much better than Bridgewater.

Walter34

Mudd - you are right in that someone will overpay for Teddy. I like him but see him as a bottom half of the league starter, not in the same level as the "30M QBs". But, someone will pay him a lot. Maybe 4 year, 100M or so.

Hill is a tremendous athlete and highly effective as the Swiss army knife big play guy for his 5-7 touches a game. I don't know what he is capable of as a starting qb taking 50 snaps a game. That is the big question with him. No team would sign or trade for him as a starter and I doubt he gets nibbles on a 1st round tender. I like the guy but just don't know if he can be an every down QB

Phicinfan

Administrator
Mudd - you are right in that someone will overpay for Teddy. I like him but see him as a bottom half of the league starter, not in the same level as the "30M QBs". But, someone will pay him a lot. Maybe 4 year, 100M or so.

Hill is a tremendous athlete and highly effective as the Swiss army knife big play guy for his 5-7 touches a game. I don't know what he is capable of as a starting qb taking 50 snaps a game. That is the big question with him. No team would sign or trade for him as a starter and I doubt he gets nibbles on a 1st round tender. I like the guy but just don't know if he can be an every down QB
Think young Cam or Josh Allen but with much better accuracy

Phicinfan

Administrator
Watching the combine this is the rumors I am hearing....

1) Tom Brady is willing to leave if the correct team comes for him - so look for a team with real O Line, real off. players and a good chance to win.... Indy? Tenn?
2) Alot are agreed that Indy is the best shot for Rivers
3) Tampa is totally an unknown, not sure what they will do
4) Tenn - everyone is thinking the reason they haven't done Tannehill deal is Vrabel is working to get Brady
5) WAS and NYG are seriously talking to some of the rookie Qbs - and that is scary for Miami and Chargers
6) Everyone is thinking folks are ignoring Dalton too much, for a team that is ready to win, he is the best option outside of Brady, Rivers and such.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay so NOW all kinds of flack are hitting the fan. Brady is reportedly gone - yeah sure I know...., so lets play a bit and see what is what.

Again, here are the FA Qbs for this year - yes some will get the FT, but for now they have NOT and we are IN the FT period.

Tom Brady - NE currently
Drew Brees - N.O. currently
Teddy Bridgewater - N.O. currently
Taysom Hill - N.O. - restricted FA
Dak Prescott - DAL currently
Phillip Rivers - LAC currently
Marcus Mariota - TEN currently
Jameis Winston - TB currently
Ryan Tannehill - TEN currently
Case Keenum - WAS currently

Please note, for this exercise, we will not talk Qbs we think are or may be released or traded - so no Dalton, No Cam and so on.

So.... lets talk.
Tom Brady - Per reports there are heavy talks of Tom going to SF, Indy, Tenn and maybe Tampa Bay. One assumes if Tom leaves he wants to go to a team that offers him a shot at the Title again.

SF - for this to work, the team has to now admit that Garoppolo is a miss, and move him as well. Not an easy task. Also, you have to look for future as Tom will only be a 1-2 year option.
Tenn - of all I like this option the most - WHY? It is the cleanest scenario. Tannehill and Mariota are FAs, so no hindrance there. O-line is stout, Running game is stout(this assumes deal or FT for Henry) and young Wrs to work with and Tes to work with. Defense is also young and improving.
Indy - Have solid Rb, has top flight Wr, and TEs to play with, O-line is very very good. Defense is young and improving. The only hindrance is Brissett, who has a manageable contract so could be dealt if they wish - they also could draft a young Qb this year to groom with Tom.
Tampa - again no issue at Qb as they won't retain Winston if they sign Tom. Wrs are dope, OL is better but needs more and the Def. is young and improving. Key other thing - no real running game and a HC that LOVES to throw. This option also is viable as the ONLY competition for division is Saints.
Wild Card - Dallas - yes I am saying it here, I really honestly think the ONLY reason Dallas has NOT signed Dak or Tagged him as of yet...is Jones' ego and wanting Tom to drive his team to a championship. For this to be an option they HAVE to get Amari Cooper signed or Tagged.

I lean Tennessee here and old friend HC Mike Vrabel.

Drew Brees - No discussion here - he said he ONLY came back to play for Saints - they are waiting on the CBA decision to sign him.
Taysom Hill - No discussion here - Team will tender him and no one will touch him for a 1st or 2nd round pick cost plus a contract

Phillip Rivers - He still has game left, but not much. To me this will be a move by a team that wants to win now. Period. Options:
1) Indy - again Brissett can be moved, or kept, sign Rivers and draft young Qb to learn
2) Tampa - as Tom would help so would Rivers - but they have to have long term addressed as well
3) Tenn - just don't see it, they want ball control and Rivers throws INTs like candy.
4) Las Vegas or Carolina - nope Carr is better option IMO.
5) New England ??? - If Tom moves, this could be a viable short term option.
I think Indy here, if Tom goes elsewhere

Dak Prescott - Dallas - if they go Tom, then I would think Tennessee or Tampa would jump at the chance to get Dak.

Teddy Bridgewater - He will be the fall back for whoever doesn't sign Tom. So Indy, Tampa Bay, Chargers jump to mind here

Tannehill - This is Tenn if Tom goes elsewhere. His ONLY competition to me is Tom or maybe Bridgewater.

As for Mariota - I see him as a back up for some team that wants a mobile QB - Philly, Chicago, Baltimore come to mind. But I don't think he gets a shot as a starter.

Same for Case Keenum - he will be signed as the Vet back up for some team.

That only leaves Jameis Winston. I see a few of things here -
1) He could get a shot at a starting job if say Chargers don't draft Qb in first round.
2) Indy decides to go full competition and wants younger so he pushes or beats our Brissett.
3) Carolina to me falls here as well as push for Cam
4) Pittsburgh - young future to develop behind Big Ben

thoughts?

Phicinfan

Administrator
First Qb off the board is Tannehill being resigned by Tenn. for 4 years $118 million. Would love to see if this gets dropped to 2 years or some such with some kind of wording.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So for now....
Tannehill - stays in Tenn.
Mariota - goes to Oakland
Brady - Not staying in N.E. - getting offers from Tampa Bay and Los Angeles Chargers
Prescott - FT by Dallas
Brees - close to new deal with N.O.
T. Hill - got 1st round tender from N.O.
Keenum - signed by Cleveland to back up Mayfield

Phicinfan

Administrator
Per reports - Carolina may be moving on from Cam - they have given him permission to find a trade and by a few reports have been looking at or negotiating with Teddy Bridgewater