When you "know" it's dumb

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
This is a bit of a non-sequitor but I have to say it:

Sometimes when I watch the NFL from afar it appears that there is - for lack of a better word - insanity. For example, when the Raiders traded WR Randy Moss for a 4th round draft pick I just couldn't believe it. I literally could NOT BELIEVE it. What made something like this so difficult to comprehend was the fact that the 4th rounder probably wasn't the only offer the Raiders received. Any team could have (in theory) had Randy Moss on their team for a 3rd round draft pick?? Does that mean the ENTIRE LEAGUE is insane??

Some things simply defy logic. I can't understand why Jerry Jones would build a stadium with a giant screen blocking punts. I can't understand why the Chiefs made Matt Cassell a billionaire. I can't understand why the Raiders only line up Asomugha on one side of the ball and let #1 WRs have a field day at the other end. I can't understand why Chad OchoCinco eats McDonalds and says "Child Please" etc. etc.

Does anyone else feel the same way about other things in the league?

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I used to feel that way about the ridiculous coaching carousel around the league. For years, after a coach got canned, it was usually only a matter of a few weeks before he would be re-hired by a different team who just let their sideline leader go. Then they would apparently wonder why they still weren't winning games. (Belichick being the obvious exception to this rule)
Thank god the culture has now evolved into franchises rolling the dice on younger first-timers and relegating the older retreads to coordinator status, for the most part.

Dallas Iowa

Cowboy fan
Well I will say this about the screen in Dallas. Jerry brought in the NFL to see what height it should be put at, they told him by there rules, AND there own cameras it is 85 ft. He went further than that and put it at 90 ft. So how come nobody is blaming the NFL and all the blame falls on Jerry? He did everything he was supposed to do! Sorry I am just tired of all the hating on everthing that is and ever was a cowboy!

Coachnorm

This is a bit of a non-sequitor but I have to say it:

I can't understand why the Raiders only line up Asomugha on one side of the ball and let #1 WRs have a field day at the other end.

Cheer up, I did read where Asomugha was going to be allowed to lineup vs the #1WR and shadow him. IDPers take note.

efactor

Coming at you
Well I will say this about the screen in Dallas. Jerry brought in the NFL to see what height it should be put at, they told him by there rules, AND there own cameras it is 85 ft. He went further than that and put it at 90 ft. So how come nobody is blaming the NFL and all the blame falls on Jerry? He did everything he was supposed to do! Sorry I am just tired of all the hating on everthing that is and ever was a cowboy!

Jones spent 1.2 billion and nobody thought to take the punter out there and see if that was going to be a problem?

Child Please!

Mike

Administrator
Jones spent 1.2 billion and nobody thought to take the punter out there and see if that was going to be a problem?

Child Please!

It was put at a level higher than league specifications, so the league should be where the finger pointing goes.

Send a punter out to make several punts, and there is a 99.9% chance that a punt would never reach that height. The punter that hit this thing was aiming for it during warmups, rather than working on actual punting. Naturally, he went out during the game and hit it again, likely on purpose.

Doesn't matter now, it needs to be moved, because now punters will all by trying to hit the thing. League needs to pitch in on the cost though.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I don't disagree that the league needs to pitch in on some of the cost, they did approve it.....but the entire blame can't be on them either....common sense, make sure you can't block a punt with your video board!

Mike

Administrator
It's a simple mistake. You get specs from the league, then contract out the work based on the specs.

Most teams could have had this happen, and it would barely make the news.

efactor

Coming at you
Send a punter out to make several punts, and there is a 99.9% chance that a punt would never reach that height. The punter that hit this thing was aiming for it during warmups, rather than working on actual punting. Naturally, he went out during the gamIte and hit it again, likely on purpose.

Doesn't matter now, it needs to be moved, because now punters will all by trying to hit the thing. League needs to pitch in on the cost though.

So the Titans punter was trying to hit it and now ALL punters will attempt to hit the scoreboard, make their outside guys run down the field again multiple times and put aside what is best for the team in order to embarrass Jerry Jones and the Cowboy organization? Don't think so..........

Conspiracy theory or extreme paranoia rivaled only by Al Davis and the Raider organization............

Mike

Administrator
So the Titans punter was trying to hit it and now ALL punters will attempt to hit the scoreboard, make their outside guys run down the field again multiple times and put aside what is best for the team in order to embarrass Jerry Jones and the Cowboy organization? Don't think so..........

Conspiracy theory or extreme paranoia rivaled only by Al Davis and the Raider organization............

Yes, punters will try to hit it. Hell, I would try to hit it if I could. Doesn't really matter though, just how I see it. I agree that it needs to be moved though, so this really isn't a big story to me.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
It's a simple mistake. You get specs from the league, then contract out the work based on the specs.

Most teams could have had this happen, and it would barely make the news.
:wtf: Most teams don't feel the need to have a huge friggen score board in the middle of the damn field. So I don't agree on that point. I do agree though they did due dilligence on specs and stuff.

I also don't think the punter MEANT to hit the board. Still, get a punter who has good hang time...and you will see that being hit. Hmmm....maybe that is why scoreboards should be outside the playing field? dunno::grin:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I have a feeling that the time when JJ raises the screen will be directly proportional with the time that Felix Jones blows out his knee on a "Do-over" punt return.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I have a feeling that the time when JJ raises the screen will be directly proportional with the time that Felix Jones blows out his knee on a "Do-over" punt return.

And this is why it's crazy to suggest the board should be left in play... an obstruction that results in a do-over? What if a player gets hurt on that meaningless play? It's hard to understand how this even happened.

Dallas Iowa

Cowboy fan
I totally agree that it is not all the NFL's fault but this is the first I am hearing people actually admit that the NFL had some blame in this. Jerry has fault in this as well. But they did bring in a punter, don't know who it was, to see if 90 ft. would be a problem and it wasn't then, obviously now it is. I also agree that it should be moved but I think the NFL needs to step up and help with the cost. One other thing this is to you Birdman. You throw snowballs at Santa Clause. It's really hard to understand how THAT ever happened!

Mike

Administrator
I also don't think the punter MEANT to hit the board. Still, get a punter who has good hang time...and you will see that being hit. Hmmm....maybe that is why scoreboards should be outside the playing field? dunno::grin:

Which tells me you weren't paying attention to the situation. :)

The punter was purposely aiming for the scoreboard in pregame warmups, and was able to hit it. Then, he went out in the game and did it.

Not sure what the chance is of it happening again, because I think in real games, punters would be concentrating on putting the ball in a certain location.

Not sure how close a typical punt is going to come to the scoreboard, but Jimmy Johnson was asked about it and he of all people said that the scoreboard should be left where it is. I tend to disagree with him, because now that one guy has went out and hit it, others will try.