Wes Welker Recovery Going Fine. Torn rotator cuff too?

Coachnorm

Patriots WR Wes Welkers' recovery is going according to schedule, so far. The flip side of that coin is that since he was injured late in the season the schedule may not have him ready to go at the start of the season. This is probably why they signed David Patten, in order to have a vet play the Welker role in OTAs and training camp.

EDIT/Update You may have to push Welkers return back a bit if the rotator cuff injury is true.

Last edited by a moderator:

DearbornDolfan

If they play him this season, they're stupid. They took an awful risk with Brady and that only panned out because Brady was basically a statue before the injury and had a decent line.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I don't agree Tekie. It never has been about speed for his grabs and the sugery should not effect his ability to catch the ball. As long as he still has the guts he'll be fine.

DearbornDolfan

I don't agree Tekie. It never has been about speed for his grabs and the sugery should not effect his ability to catch the ball. As long as he still has the guts he'll be fine.

Speed isn't the concern here, because he's never had speed, it's his ability to make the razor sharp cuts to get open. His knee gave out doing just that, so my expectation is that his effectiveness is going to be cut down massively.

I'm sorry it happened to Welker, but in all honesty I'm happy it happened to the Patriots.

cctekguy

Staff member
I don't agree Tekie.

It's not just the injury, Mud.

The Pats will make moves to fill his void. The plays will be changed to suit his replacement(s). By the time the season starts the Pats will field a competitive team WITHOUT Welker. When Welker returns....even at 100% ...there will be a smaller role for him to play.

Maybe year after next, but not next year.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
They've only had 1 SB appearance in the past 5 seasons anyway. The defense is being retooled and that was arguably a bigger reason for the dynasty than the offense. Once that core group of guys started aging, they morphed into a fantasy monster that just won divisions. They drafted some nice young defensive players last year that will develop alongside the haul they bring in this year. They also drafted a young man last year by the name of Brandon Tate who was a teammate of, and more highly regarded than, Hakeem Nicks at UNC before suffering a season-ending injury in college that rendered him useless last season. If he returns healthy this year he could open some eyes alongside Moss and Edelman until WW gets back into game shape, so I'm not overly concerned that the offense will suddenly fall off the face of the planet when Moss leaves.
As for the Moss/Welker discussion.. I think Moss's stats are far more reliant upon Welker being there than vice versa. Thinking back, when has Randy ever been dominant without a "1A" type receiver present? If anything, next year's Randy Moss fantasy draft stock should slide into the 2nd tier of WR's if Welker's not 100% to start week 1. Edelman proved he can fill in admirably, but he simply won't draw the attention that Welker normally does. Not initially anyway.

Coachnorm

It's being reported that Welker suffered a torn rotator cuff also. This very well may have required surgery to repair as well. While his recovery from the ACL made him iffy for camp but he was expected to be close to ready at the start of the season. That now sounds a bit optimistic.

Runnik's Hambones

I'm not prepared to say that Welker is done. Now, I am completely prepared to admit that his production will drop, but I still see him stronger than many #2s, and most #3s out there.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Id need to see him run. Matters not as someone out there in every league will still burn a 3rd on him.
Posted via Mobile Device

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
Speed isn't the concern here, because he's never had speed, it's his ability to make the razor sharp cuts to get open. His knee gave out doing just that, so my expectation is that his effectiveness is going to be cut down massively.

I'm sorry it happened to Welker, but in all honesty I'm happy it happened to the Patriots.
ah... no, his knee didn't give out "while making a razor sharp cut to get open".
He had already caught the ball on a little dump off pass just over the line of scrimmage ... and after running for about 10 yds, he made a cut to try and avoid a tackle. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RK4qhQWIUo"]YouTube- Wes Welker Injury Week 17 @Texans[/ame]

I understand your frustration of seeing such a quality player be gifted to the Patriots by your Dolphins for ... what was it? a 2nd round draft pick?
2007 pick #60, Center - Samson Setele I believe. He was so good that 2 years later MIA traded him to OAK for a 6th rd pick.
:bonk:

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle

Now if any of you are buying the fact that Welker never had "speed" but instead used "razor sharp cuts to get open" then I suggest you take a look at this and tell me how many times Welker made any "cut" to get open:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIDrJolp4Do&NR=1"]YouTube- Wes Welker Highlights[/ame]

Some of you may find this painfull to view if you are a Welker / Patriot hater so just fast forward to 2:56 for my favorite highlight.

cctekguy

Staff member
What's your point Glenn?

Welker blew his knee out....doesn't matter if it was making a razor cut or cutting the lawn.

...and despite your argument about speed, the stop watch doesn't lie.

Sounds to me like a Patriot fan that is watching his team disintegrate is jealous of a Dolphin fan that is watching his team evolve.

Just my opinion though....I could care less about either team.

GlennsPatriots

Meatwhistle
What's your point Glenn?

Welker blew his knee out....doesn't matter if it was making a razor cut or cutting the lawn.

...and despite your argument about speed, the stop watch doesn't lie.

Sounds to me like a Patriot fan that is watching his team disintegrate is jealous of a Dolphin fan that is watching his team evolve.

Just my opinion though....I could care less about either team.
Nah, no point (yet)... just bustin bee-bee's.

But if I were to have a "point" in regards to Welkers injurys....
Watching the highlights you can see that most of his yards come after the catch. It really isn't that hard for him to get open crossing over the middle or only going 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and turning as the ball is delivered.

I hope they don't rush him back onto the field. If they let the knee heal, I think he'll be close to what he was before the injury. Maybe bring him back at the end of the season to tune-up for the playoffs.
I'd be pretty nervous if he's in the game on week 1.