Washington to perform $250 million renovation of Husky Stadium

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
SEATTLE -- The University of Washington Board of Regents have given approval to a $250 million renovation of Husky Stadium.

The board made the decision at its meeting Thursday, hours before Washington hosted UCLA.

Plans for the remodel include complete demolition of the lower bowl and the south upper deck. The field will be lowered and seats brought closer, and a football operations facility will also be constructed. Seating capacity is expected to stay close to its current total of 72,500.

The project is being paid off through 30-year bonds. The school intends to raise $50 million in private donations and pay the remaining total through new revenues generated from the stadium.

Washington will play its last game at Husky Stadium on Nov. 5, 2011, against Oregon and play the 2011 Apple Cup and 2012 season at Seattle's Qwest Field.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Here is a rendering:

huskystadiumrenovation_61.png

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Local News | Big changes for new Husky Stadium | Seattle Times Newspaper

2014265758.jpg

Seats: 71,197, a slight reduction in the current capacity of 72,500. Premium seating: 25 suites (room for up to 25 people), plus the President's Box (size to be determined), 25 loge boxes (room for about four to eight people), 2,555 South Side club seats, 756 Don James Center seats

Other facilities: A 70,000-square-foot football-operations support building in west end zone and a 200-stall parking garage below south-side stands

Cost: $225 million for stadium construction, plus $25 million to relocate track and purchase new equipment such as scoreboards and audiovisual equipment. The university has raised $14 million in private gifts and hopes to raise $50 million over a five-year period.

Schedule: Construction is to begin in November 2011. Huskies play 2011 Apple Cup, and all of 2012 season, at Qwest Field. Stadium is scheduled to open in August 2013.

Other than the slight reduction of seats and moving the student section, I think this will be great. My wallet will take a hit though as ticket prices will increase, again.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I agree Khan but wonder why the reduction in seating? That make no sense to me unless the fan support isn't strong enough to justify a larger stadium.

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
The reason for the slight reduction in seating capacity are the luxury boxes and removal of the horseshoe that wrapped around the track, which takes away a good chunk of seats. The extra seats added by removing the track and lowering the bowl aren't enough to make up for those lost elsewhere.

More seats will be added in the future in the west endzone. We have our hands full with the current $250,000,000 remodel, which includes building a new track facility.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Great stuff King. I remember the additions to Tiger Stadium being available on line and the pictures were fun to watch.