USC Stafon Johson has weights fall on throat

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
Sounds scary but I guess he was lifting and weights fell on his throat and he was coughing up blood. He is now in surgery.

nicholete

Hope comes with batteries
I know sounds awful and painful. Poor kid i guess had to breathe through his nose. I would have freaked out but also my lazy ass wouldn't be lifting weights.

Remote Controller

I know sounds awful and painful. Poor kid i guess had to breathe through his nose. I would have freaked out but also my lazy ass wouldn't be lifting weights.
sad thing is is that when the throat gets crushed the nose doesn't work either. They likely had to do a trach on him to bypass the throats air passage.

DearbornDolfan

ugh didn't even think about that.

That right there is the reason you always lift with a spotter when bench pressing and it wasn't life threatening only because he wasn't lifting alone. One of the strikes the Army teaches to soldiers in basic is a hard, straight punch to the throat to crush the trachea. It is a messy, excruciating, and slow way to die.

Mike

Administrator
Not only do you need a spotter, the spotter had better be paying attention and know what he/she is doing.

I had an incident like this happen to me almost 20 years ago when maxing out on my bench press. My mistake for not using the guy who normally spots me, but this dude simply let go of the bar when it cleared the rack.

Weight didn't land on my throat because I managed to hold it up on one side, but the result put all the weigh on the other side, tearing my pectoral muscle.

Free weights are great for working out, but you have to be extremely cautious with certain exercises.