The Jimmy Graham $$ Debate

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Damn....I have to agree with Phic here that is some coin for someone who has not been a consistent force. If he gets this kind of coin, Jimmy should break the damn bank!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Ouch! You know he turned down being the highest paid TE ever as he reaches for WR $$. Which he won't get. I'm thinking it'll be close to $10M per when it's all said and done and he was offered just over $9M already.

Sorry to sidetrack the Pitta thread.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Ouch! You know he turned down being the highest paid TE ever as he reaches for WR $$. Which he won't get. I'm thinking it'll be close to $10M per when it's all said and done and he was offered just over $9M already.

Sorry to sidetrack the Pitta thread.
$12 mil per and he'll be worth every penny.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
He'll be a Saint if for no other reason than no one is going to pay the cost to get him. Can you think of any team they'd pay him $12M plus give up two number one draft choices to have the honor? Green Bay said today the idea that they were after him was dumber than dumb. They'll drag it out a lot like the Brees saga and in the end he's going to get a tad bit more than was originally offered by the club. He will not win his grievance case that he's a WR because several of the TE's could make the same claim that they line up more often as wide outs. That flood gate will not be opened.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Like it or not, he IS the offense now. So you pay him like it. Unless or until they go out and hit on a Wr to take pressure off, or Rb reverts, he is the offense.

I don't think he will end up at money like a Wr, but he will get more than Gronk is getting now.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
He'll be a Saint if for no other reason than no one is going to pay the cost to get him. Can you think of any team they'd pay him $12M plus give up two number one draft choices to have the honor? Green Bay said today the idea that they were after him was dumber than dumb. They'll drag it out a lot like the Brees saga and in the end he's going to get a tad bit more than was originally offered by the club. He will not win his grievance case that he's a WR because several of the TE's could make the same claim that they line up more often as wide outs. That flood gate will not be opened.
My comment is long term......I don't see him signing at a discount. He is an elite receiver and should be paid as one. Tight end has evolved and someone like Graham is a receiver and the flood gate will be opened if one of these ever go to a judgement. If they want to avoid multiple tags here, and then a possible hold out they will have to come to grips with the fact that he is a receiver and an elite one at that.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Jimmy I'd tweeting now.....he is shocked and disappointed about everything that had happened this off season......

Going to ugly before it gets over

Phicinfan

Administrator
Jimmy I'd tweeting now.....he is shocked and disappointed about everything that had happened this off season......

Going to ugly before it gets over
what has he tweeted, that his greed is costing his team 2-3 good players? Wah.

cctekguy

Staff member

I go back and forth with this kind of situation.

On the one hand, I resent the "ME FIRST" selfish attitude.

On the other hand, Hell....if it was someone else, they'd screw YOU.

But I'm sympathetic to his motives.

Given half a chance, I'd jump on the welfare, government check bandwagon . Sit at home all day, drive a nice car etc.

but <sigh> Instead, I work my butt off, drive a bucket of bolts and struggle to put food on the table. BUT....It's honorable.

Screw It....I can feel my back starting to hurt even now.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I still fail to see how wanting to be paid like the player you are is greed......I know, none of us can comprehend the money they make......but regardless the scale, we all want to be paid what we feel our market is. If someone I feel does an inferior job it's pulling in more com than me, I am going to try to position myself to make more than them the next I have a shot. Graham played out his entire creator rookie deal, he now deserves to be paid like the rest of the premier press catchers in the league.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I still fail to see how wanting to be paid like the player you are is greed......I know, none of us can comprehend the money they make......but regardless the scale, we all want to be paid what we feel our market is. If someone I feel does an inferior job it's pulling in more com than me, I am going to try to position myself to make more than them the next I have a shot. Graham played out his entire creator rookie deal, he now deserves to be paid like the rest of the premier press catchers in the league.
Being paid per what your top level at your position isn't greed. But turning down and offer, that was more than Gronk is making, which is TOP at your position for even more. Is greed. Sorry, a spade is a spade.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Graham being called a TE is a joke. The NFL has changed. He is an elite pass catcher and they are trying to get a discount by calling him a TE. He should be paid as an elite pass catcher. As far as Gronk goes, he is far more valuable IMO as you can rely on him. Grimm can not stay healthy....plus, the contract Gronk signed was at a time when he was far less proven than Graham.

This isn't greed, this is trying to be paid for what you are. A spade is a spade and an elite pass catcher is an elite pass catcher....trying to hide that behind an outdated title is simply trying to get a discount. WR....TE....doesn't matter.....pay him for what he does.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Graham being called a TE is a joke. The NFL has changed. He is an elite pass catcher and they are trying to get a discount by calling him a TE. He should be paid as an elite pass catcher. As far as Gronk goes, he is far more valuable IMO as you can rely on him. Grimm can not stay healthy....plus, the contract Gronk signed was at a time when he was far less proven than Graham.

This isn't greed, this is trying to be paid for what you are. A spade is a spade and an elite pass catcher is an elite pass catcher....trying to hide that behind an outdated title is simply trying to get a discount. WR....TE....doesn't matter.....pay him for what he does.
Ok, BS. He is no where near the speed or ability as a Wr, and I am a Graham owner. Don't mistake OFF. play calling, with Talent. The kid barely played ball in College, and he is NOT a Wr.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Ok.....so tell me, where does he line up on the field the vast majority of the time? If he is not a receiver, maybe someone should tell the Saints, because they sure play him as a receiver an awful lot.....

If he does not have the talent of a receiver, then why do DC's put a CB on him to try to contain him?

His "ability" if far superior to 95% plus of the receivers playing the game. In fact, there are very few receivers that can do what he can do. Speed is not everything, ask Jerry Rice. The greatest WR to ever play was far from the fastest.

He is an elite pass catcher....period. Forget the titles and pay him for what he actually does.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Ok.....so tell me, where does he line up on the field the vast majority of the time? If he is not a receiver, maybe someone should tell the Saints, because they sure play him as a receiver an awful lot.....

If he does not have the talent of a receiver, then why do DC's put a CB on him to try to contain him?

His "ability" if far superior to 95% plus of the receivers playing the game. In fact, there are very few receivers that can do what he can do. Speed is not everything, ask Jerry Rice. The greatest WR to ever play was far from the fastest.

He is an elite pass catcher....period. Forget the titles and pay him for what he actually does.
Here is the flaw with that argument. When he is spread out wide who covers him?? Not a Cb, although when a CB did, he was totally shut out. No, its the S. And he can blow S away.

Not saying he is not a great player, that is why I did what I did to own him. But reality is he is not a Wr, nor does he have that talent. When up against the CBs he was shut down. Totally.

I will add, if you do this, when does a C get paid as much as a great OT?? and so on. SOME positions just don't get paid the same amount. Sorry that is how it is.

Add to that, don't beg for the damn bank, and then whine when the team starts cutting salaries to pay you...that is just ridiculous.