T-Minus One Month to Lockout

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
Okay, today February 4th and the expectation is one month from now, the NFL may lockout the players.

What your take on this?

I really don't want to lose the draft, or any games. Both these sides need to come to some sort of resoloution fast.

I think it's retarded that the owners and players are so friggin' rich. It's a damn joke and they keep saying the fans are the one that will suffer. To be honest, that's just an angle. They really don't care about the fans, in fact just trying to win the fans over to their side. Either way, both sides make way too much for the average fan to comprehend. The US is suffering from hard economic times and all they can do is bicker about the money they make that none of us will ever see in our lifetimes.

Personally, I'd like to see both sides take a serious pay cut so more fans can enjoy the sport. They all make an insane amount of money. Drop the prices on tickets and merchandise instead. That's what I wanna see.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, today February 4th and the expectation is one month from now, the NFL may lockout the players.

What your take on this?

I really don't want to lose the draft, or any games. Both these sides need to come to some sort of resoloution fast.

I think it's retarded that the owners and players are so friggin' rich. It's a damn joke and they keep saying the fans are the one that will suffer. To be honest, that's just an angle. They really don't care about the fans, in fact just trying to win the fans over to their side. Either way, both sides make way too much for the average fan to comprehend. The US is suffering from hard economic times and all they can do is bicker about the money they make that none of us will ever see in our lifetimes.

Personally, I'd like to see both sides take a serious pay cut so more fans can enjoy the sport. They all make an insane amount of money. Drop the prices on tickets and merchandise instead. That's what I wanna see.

First, you won't lose the draft. I am pretty sure this has been agreed to without the CBA.
Second, i am not convinced they will lock out. NFL has the ability to call an "impasse" in which case they can force install their latest best offer. Of course at that point the Players will probably strike. Still its a win for the NFL owners, as fans will only recall the strike.

Last, I still have hope things will happen. They have been negotiating, and lately the Owners have conceded that an 18game schedule is not a must. If they get the rookie pay scale, fix the revenue issue, I think this could be solved minus the 18 game schedule.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
18 is too much.

Id heard a player who might be seriously injured in the Super Bowl (ACL tear etc) wont have insurance coverage

Phicinfan

Administrator
Id heard a player who might be seriously injured in the Super Bowl (ACL tear etc) wont have insurance coverage

this is not true. While it is true that the LEAGUE paid insurance will end with the lock out. They can carry their own COBRA coverage on their own. It will be expensive, and last 18months, but its better than nothing.

Just more leverage for owners.

Arctic Dawgs

I like what Kraft had to say.

"Get the lawyers out of the room and let the Buisness/Football people settle this"

As long as lawyers are calling the shots I can't see it ever being settled

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Phic is correct, the draft will happen regardless from what has been stated. I remain optimistic that common sense will prevail and a deal will get done.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Although, according to radio reports, NFLPA is asking agents to have their clients hold out of the combine, as a protest for no deal. That would suck.

Mike

Administrator
I am about to the point where I would like to see the entire season lost, and let the NFL(players and owners) see that the fans can simply find other things to do with their life. This league has gotten too big for itself at this point and needs to be knocked back down to reality.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Never really thought of it that way. Think they will get it resolved in the next few weeks. But on Mikes' thinking, say they don't get something done in time and the whole season is canceled, How many fans will come back the following year? I feel baseball hasn't recovered completly in their fan base after their fiasco years ago. Depending on what the outcome is, i could easily find myself paying less attention to the following seasons for years to come.