Some tasty defensive matchups week 1

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
I hope that I am not stepping on anyone's toes with the matchup advice etc. but I didn't see anyone else address the excellent defense matchups that we have for week one.

Regardless of who you drafted as your defensive team (in leagues that use team defense) there are some really great matchups that should be considered and I would hazard to guess most can still be picked up off waivers.

Matchup 1
Raiders at Colts - It's not that the Colts defense is supposed to scare anyone but this may be the least amount of talent the Raiders have had on the offensive side of the ball in the last 10 years and that is saying something. Looks like Pryor will start at QB which means he may possibly run for lots of yards but at some point he has to throw a pass. The Colts offense should dominate the time of posession by a large margin. With all the potential running around Pryor will do I see lots of potential for sacks and fumbles. Raiders will score only because the best player on their team is Seabass!

Matchup 2
Buccaneers at Jets - Bucs were one of the top teams at stopping the run last year but one of the worst at stopping the pass. Fortunately for them the Jets will be starting a rookie that has seen very limited action in the preseason and looked pretty bad when he did. Plain and simple the Jets just don't have any real playmakers on offense so unless Geno Smith pulls a RG3 I see this being a long boring game where the Jets make plenty of mistakes.

Matchup 3
Patriots at Bills - Another game where a rookie is starting. This time the rookie does look like he deserves to get the start but still its a rookie going against a Belicheck defense. Bills do have some playmakers on offense and the Pats are not on par with defenses like Seattle or Houston so I can see some points being scored here, but I also see lots of sacks and potential for some pick 6's. Once Pats mount early lead Bills will have to pass more than they wanted to.

Matchup 4
Chiefs at Jags - Not really feeling as great about this one as the others but again you are looking at one of the worst offenses in the league. This game will go down to how well the Chiefs can contain MJD as that is the only real threat the Jags have. Gabbert is already hurting so it won't take much to get him worried about the pass rush. This game may be a field goal fest!

Most if not all of these teams can probably still be picked up off the WW and they should give you a gernerous tally for defense in week one.

JesseJames

Great post and it hits home considering my Week 1 Defense Options...

I've got the Seahawks and the Bucs D's. Most any other game and this would be a no-brainer but...

The Seahawks are going into Carolina to play Cam & The Panthers while the Bucs face the JETS with Geno Smith getting his first NFL start after a limited preseason and coming off an injury.

Very tempted to put the 'Hawks on the bench for Week 1...

- James

JesseJames

That's an easy decision in my opinion James. On paper, Tampa Bay might be only second only to Indy for their matchup.

Yep...and truth be told I already made the switch. Just one of the nuances of good strategy that's hard to swallow sometimes...And it seems like in the past few seasons there's always the potential for a rookie QB to show up in a big way when it's least expected...

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I dropped the Bucs last night when the 49er Def became available. Not a good week one matchup but I hope I'm through playing WW Def for the year.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
They're my D in my $$ league and I couldn't pass it up in the fun league either. Funny, I was 12th on the WW list. No one else put in for them. Scared of the week one match up I guess.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
Im starting the Colts defense against my Raiders too good to pass up.

Also starting WR R.Streeter he's my sleeper of the season