SO Members Mock Draft Disscussion Thread

jmsmith1

What is important to remember is that you are not just looking for the positions that you want to fill, but there is a cost benefit ratio that has to be considered. You would draft a kicker in the 1st round even if it was you're most pressing need. Because the cost of using a first round pick on a kicker is far more than the benefit.

Same with skill positions. WRs are always available and some of the best have come from small colleges and picks in the latter rounds of the draft. Defenders are not. Sure you can get some gems, but most of the LBs and CBs are drafted in the first day and make the biggest impact.

Just my 2 cents.

jmsmith1

Is there anyway that people who have two picks in close order can send the mods their picks in order of preference so that they arent tying up the rest of us? Maybe Im just spoiled about how fast it has gone thus far, but it seems like we are at a crawl lately. I know that DearbornDolfan and Sgt John each have 2 picks coming up that are nearly next to one another. This would just seem the more efficient way to do it so that not everyone is waiting for another 24 hours to move on...

bobbeaux

yeah, a kicker . . . why didn't i think of that . . . lol

nt ferguson is going to be 36 this year and his backups aren't much to speak of either . . . but anyways, this isn't even our pick . . . lol . . . ;)

DearbornDolfan

The Fins must see something in Soliai, because despite being a bit of a discipline problem they've kept him around. Lionel Dotson, at least according to the players that've lined up against him, claim he's some kind of beast. Nonetheless, I know how I'm going to address NT, it just won't be in round two.

On the issue of strong OLB, all of the players Miami has reported as having interest in for that position are gone at this point. The FO is apparently trying to find the next Demarcus Ware, which basically means a project pick. ILB is more of a pressing need, but this year's class is rather sad.

EDIT: Parcells & Co seem to value big hitting safeties who won't be burned deep. William Moore was tempting, but he has too many questions for me to consider this early.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmsmith1

Alright...lets nitpick some draft selections....LOL JK

Buffalo - I love this pick. Buffalo needs to keep solid interior lineman to help Lynch and Jackson in the running game as well to keep Trent Edwards standing so he can get the ball to Hardy, Evans, and new addition Terrell Owens. Getting the number 1 Offensive Guard in the second round is not only a great value, but its a steal. I thought for sure he might go late first.

San Fran - I love this pick too....if you cant tell, in my eyes, lineman are key to winning. Loadholt would be a fantastic RT prospect. He's freaking huge and strong. Some question his ability to contain a speed rusher at LT, but he'd be a great addition at RT and immediately help the running game, as well as help protect whatever Arena League QB you'll have back there ;)

Miami - I dont necessarily disagree with the selection of safety here. We have discussed at length my opinion that you needed to update your linebackers, but many think Chung could be the next John Lynch waiting to bust out of his shell. He'll have Parcells to thank if he does. Solid pick.

New York Giants - This kid, McRath, could be a great pro. First, he's got the mental part of the game and plays nasty. Second, he will more than likely project to a strong side LB, as he put on 11 pounds of muscle before the combine to weight in at 231 and still ran a 4.6 40. What he lacks in speed and technique he makes up with tenacity and heart. He fills an immediate need at SLB and should be able to make plays with the three headed DE monster of Umeniyora, Tuck, and Kiwanuka taking alot of double teams.

DearbornDolfan

Miami - I dont necessarily disagree with the selection of safety here. We have discussed at length my opinion that you needed to update your linebackers, but many think Chung could be the next John Lynch waiting to bust out of his shell. He'll have Parcells to thank if he does. Solid pick.

No offense, but I rather disagree with your opinion. SOLB isn't a need position right now, not to the point where I would burn a pick this early on it. Matt Roth did a good job last year and Cameron Wake isn't just any CFL rusher (excess of 40 sacks in two seasons.)

jmsmith1

Thats the beauty of discussion, its designed specifically for disagreements to manifest themselves into a mature discussion of valid points! No offense taken.

bobbeaux

Struggled with this pick after Chung was taken 2 picks before me . . . personally, i'd prefer the texans get Chung, but I'm still seeing Moore ranked higher.

The Texans have never really had a true impact player at the safety position and they've lost CC Brown to free agency and released Will Demps . . . FS Eugene Wilson resigned, but SS Nick Ferguson is still unsigned . . . hopefully, they also address this position in FA, but this pick definitely fills a need.

jmsmith1

Those of us who have two pick nearly simultaneously, please have your two picks ready and if your not going to post them, let the mods know. It just keeps things at a nice pace for those of us waiting to pick! Thanks!

DearbornDolfan

As much as I'd like to do that, I'm drafting for two teams and kinda going BPA (within system constraints) for the Pats, so it's kinda hard to pre-draft. Sorta the same situation for the Fins.

jmsmith1

Houston - I really like the William Moore pick here and I think you benefitted from the concern over his injury. Hamstrings are not that uncommon and with a full offseason rehab program, I think you just land a first round talent in the mid second round. Great get and fills a need. Definitely offsets the way too early selection of Clay Matthews.

New England - While I like the selection, I do not like anything about the kid. Coye was dismissed from Oregon State for a June felony firearms possession. Could this be Pacman Jones 2.0? No doubt you needed the top CB left on the board and you definitely have a team full of veterans that could probably keep him in line. The kid ran a 4.59 40 and with off the field issues, I just think you grabbed the right position but really picked the wrong kid. Victor Harris of VT, Jairus Byrd of Oregon, or Mike Mickens of Cincy would have all been better selections.

Denver - I like the selection here too. Again, I think Moore is a good DT but I think Ron Brace is a better selection here. Brace is 330 pounds and Moore is 300. Both are extremely strong. I just think Brace fills in the new 3-4 defense that Denver is installing alot better. But still, Moore is rated just after Brace, so not a bad selection.

Chicago - This I think is a GREAT pick. I was hoping Britt would keep sliding down myself. This kid has alot of potential and is a steal in the mid second. He's been getting late first round grades as of late. At 6-3, 218, he ran a 4.48 40 and happened to put up 225 pds 23 times! He's gonna be a beast and I think that Chicago definitely needs his toughness in the passing game. Sure, you could've gone elsewhere, but this is about as sure of pick as I could have guessed.

DearbornDolfan

Something about Francies just screams Belichick material to me. He's a problem kid, but we've seen in Dillon and Moss that he can work with those kinds of people. Byrd projects as more of a safety and while I considered both Harris and Mickens seriously, I think Francies will handle the big WR in the AFC East better.

EDIT: Oh, and damned you, Miller. I was hoping Britt would miraculously slide to me.

jmsmith1

Here's my suggestion for the next pick since he might not make it...

Cleveland should look at these positions....S, CB, TE, or OL.

As for safety, losing Sean Jones doesnt help and there are still some solid picks here. I think a pick that some people may not be looking at is a guy in David Bruton, from Notre Dame. He's 6-2, 210 and ran a 4.47 40, only 1 of 2 safeties to run under 4.5. He's extremely intelligent and is a ballhawk.

At TE a guy like Chase Coffman or Travis Beckum would be a welcome addition. Coffman is 6-6 and tough. Beckum is only 6-3/6-4 but athletic.

At CB, you have players like Mike Mickens from Cincy, Victor Harris from VT, and Jairus Byrd from Oregon.

At O line, you could find the #2 overall guard with Andy Levitre, Oregon State.

jmsmith1

I think that each team needs the following

Dallas - with no first rounder, needs to be a homerun. Needs S, WR, CB, and NT. David Bruton, S from Notre Dame, Brian Robiskie, WR from Ohio State, Mike Mickens, CB from Cincinnatti, or Ron Brace, DT from Boston College are my suggestions. I would look at Bruton or Brace.

New York Jets - Needs WR, DE, and CB. Brian Robiskie, Joaquin Iglesias from Oklahoma, or Louis Murphy from Florida are suggestions at WR. Michael Johnson, DE from Georgia Tech or CB Jairus Byrd, Victor Harris, or Mickens are my suggestions. Definitely would take Johnson if I were you.

Philly - needs are at TE, WR, or LT. Could see any of the three WRs mentioned above, Chase Coffman at TE here, or Troy Kopog, OT from Tulane here. I think Coffman would be a good selection.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
As far as speed, this is actually moving much better than any mock GM draft I've been a part of on various sites. keep up the good work guys everyone!

On the Coye pick, like this kid a lot. I know there is some past history here that needs to be looked at....I don't think this is Pac-Man part 2...but who knows. He has good skills and was very impressive in practice at the senior bowl. Solid pick for NE.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Philly - needs are at TE, WR, or LT. Could see any of the three WRs mentioned above, Chase Coffman at TE here, or Troy Kopog, OT from Tulane here. I think Coffman would be a good selection.
While I appreciate your enthusiasm. I think you are wrong....again.

Wr is not a dire need for Philly. YOU may not like the Wrs they have, but they do. Of the WRs you have listed, none really are worth this high a pick, IMO.

As for TE, yes I do think they will draft a TE at some point. I was really hoping Cook might fall to them in this round. Stupid I know..but there it is. I just am not as high on Coffman as you are. I will follow the Philly mold and not reach for a player just for perceived need.

Yes OT is a need. I have a few I like, but Kopog is not at the top of that list.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
On the Coye pick, like this kid a lot. I know there is some past history here that needs to be looked at....I don't think this is Pac-Man part 2...but who knows. He has good skills and was very impressive in practice at the senior bowl. Solid pick for NE.

From all the reviews and projections I've seen, Francies has been a very high character guy after he transferred and carries a bit less risk than others with checkered pasts. Of course that will invariably take him off of some teams' boards but he has the same skillset as some of the higher rated CB's. An acceptable risk in the mid-2nd, I would say.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
I was hoping Kropog would last until my pick. Really hard working blue collar type dude who helped earn Matt Forte a nice paycheck in the NFL. Solid pick, to be sure.