Schefter: Harbaugh to 49ers

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Well now he can afford to live in Palo Alto.

I didnt know till today Stanford actually built housing for assistant coaches because they didnt pay enough to live in the area.

Hopefully the 49ers got the premium coach they are probably paying premium money to get. I think the guy has a better football mind than Singletary, and he will get the added bonus of not having Alex Smith on his roster. Couple that with a great RB in Frank Gore plus a weak division, and I think the 49ers will make the playoffs in 2011/2012

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
Stanford has lots of money. They have a large athletic endowment that by itself can pay the bills. They also have many super wealthy boosters and alums. I hear that Stanford was offering Harbaugh over $3,000,000 a year to return.

The reason they have to provide housing is because of the super high local real estate prices, not because they are cheap with salaries. The hills above Palo Alto is one of the most expensive places in the country.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
The reason they have to provide housing is because of the super high local real estate prices, not because they are cheap with salaries. The hills above Palo Alto is one of the most expensive places in the country.

So what youre saying is they dont pay enough to their assistants to live there. Which is exactly what I said.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
he took a 5yr/$25 mil contract in SF and turned down the Miami offer that was reportadly between $8-$9 mil a year. Kinda odd. Wonder why he didn't want to go to Miami? Maybe it was the division they are in. SF is in a much easier division and he can look like a much better coach by winning the division even tho its weak. Who wants to come in the nfl as a new coach and have to play NE/NYJ twice a season when you can play Seattle/Rams instead. Smart move. Looks like i answered my own question. LOL

Vicious_Machine

Or maybe he hates snow and does not want to play in NWE-Buf-NY, and rather play in the warm world of St Louis - AZ :)

Either way, one coaching position filled

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Or maybe he hates snow and does not want to play in NWE-Buf-NY, and rather play in the warm world of St Louis - AZ :)

Either way, one coaching position filled

:nod:

That, and the talent on San Fran is much, much better. All he really needs is a solid Qb in San Fran.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
:nod:

That, and the talent on San Fran is much, much better. All he really needs is a solid Qb in San Fran.

And from reports, neither smith is the answer. Sounds like Alex will be gone and Troy will get a look as a backup maybe. So maybe Mcnabb lands here and they get Luck in the next draft?

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Or maybe Kolb from Philly would be a good choice. Think Philly will want some serious value for him tho. Another name comes to mind, Pike. What about him? He's just sitting and wasting away as a 3rd stringer. And who else better to get him going than Harbaugh and Montana in SF.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Pike is under some kind of contract with Carolina, not sure what or how long, but it wouldnt be that expensive to get him.

Harbaugh doesnt have to move and gets an NFL job and more money. SF was the front runner all along, and lets be honest, no matter the money, can you really trust a man who wanted to hire you before he bothered to tell his current coach he was going to replace him?

Kingdome

FOOTBALL!
So what youre saying is they dont pay enough to their assistants to live there. Which is exactly what I said.

East Palo Alto is affordable. But would you want to live there?

The nice neighborhoods are expensive, or a long commute away.

Stanford is really competitive at landing quality assistants.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Pike might be a good cheap pick up for SF. Stanford will be fine next year tho dont see them having the year they just had.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Or maybe Kolb from Philly would be a good choice. Think Philly will want some serious value for him tho. Another name comes to mind, Pike. What about him? He's just sitting and wasting away as a 3rd stringer. And who else better to get him going than Harbaugh and Montana in SF.

I am a huge Kolb fan. But I am not convinced the Eagles dump him. Vick can really put himself out there and get hurt...and the only other Qb they got is rookie Quinn. I agree they will want a ton for Kolb if he is dealt. I wish they would, if they keep Vick...cause I would love to see him get a real chance. Also keep in mind, Vick is a FA at end of season.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Didnt realize Vick will be a FA. This could financially open the door for Kolb to sign elsewhere. Could the Eagles really afford to keep both? Vick will demand more and probably get it somewhere if not there. Kolb is good enough he deserves a shot at a team that wants him as a starter.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Heard next season SF travels to Baltimore to play. Brother v Brother. Makes an interesting story line. Early prediction, Ravens win.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
They might keep Kolb since he is under contract and a good backup. Vick can get tagged and if a major injury hits he can be jettisoned.

Phicinfan

Administrator
They might keep Kolb since he is under contract and a good backup. Vick can get tagged and if a major injury hits he can be jettisoned.

According to Sal Pal, there are three options for the Eagles to follow on Vick:
1) Let him walk, which won't happen I don't think
2) Sign him to long term deal, which won't happen, as he says Eagles don't feel they have seen enough
3) Franchise tag him, which will tick off vick, due to less money than long term deal, but gives Eagles one more year to look.

Issue is, if they do 1 or 3...they HAVE to keep Kolb. However, per Sal Pal, Kolb only has one year left on his contract now, for $1.4 Million. Not a bad price to keep him there.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I think you have to keep Kolb for that cheap. Especially if you tag Vick. Two QBs for a cheap price and then decide next year which one to keep and sign to a long term deal.