Saints add TE Ben Watson to the Mix

Coachnorm

Saints GM Micky Loomis signed TE Ben Watson to a 3 year deal on Momday. While Jimmy Graham and Ben Watson won't be as good a tandem as Gronk and Hernandez the results may actually be a very pleasant surprise for Saints fans. Watson is the type of TE capable of slipping up the seam for a nice gainer still so the Saints could end up with a nice 1-2 punch at the TE position in a very tough division.

Coachnorm

Word that I hear is that the Saints considered Thomas a bit too brittle although I hadn't really kept track of that well enough. I like Watson ability to be able to slip up a seam for 15-20 yards at a pop and he should see more action along that line than he ever did in Cleveland and he was averaging 550 yards a season there with questionable QB ing. He should see many more opportunities along this line with Brees tossing the rock. Watson may be a very nice value surprise for those who take a late gamble on him in the draft.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I don't see it so rosey for Watson unless Graham gets hurt. He'll steal a little from Jimmy like Thomas did but Jimmy will still be Brees' man.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I don't recall, maybe KC?

My above staement about Watson could not possibly be slightly biased as a Graham owner. Slightly I say.:biglaugh:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
He appears to still be unsigned Coach, Thomas that is. I can't find a record anywhere of him being picked up. He should try New England.

Coachnorm

I don't recall, maybe KC?

My above statement about Watson could not possibly be slightly biased as a Graham owner. Slightly I say.:biglaugh:

I have Graham in a couple of leagues also so wanting Watson to be too good may be self-destructive. Vet I could see Watson being a 700 yard guy. Any chance you think of some two-TE sets out of the Saints this year? Saints WRs may be an even bigger mystery than ever this year.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Who knows what Sean cooked up with a year to scheme. But I'd be surprised if it became more then an occasional happening. The Saints have a not so secret weapon for WR 3/4 this year.:shhh:

Coachnorm

Who knows what Sean cooked up with a year to scheme. But I'd be surprised if it became more then an occasional happening. The Saints have a not so secret weapon for WR 3/4 this year.:shhh:

I know who you mean _______________. Actually a lot of depth at the position.

gizzil

I love this move... and think you create another potential mismatch on the field. Part of the issue the saints have had is too many kinda "eh" WR... that are ood, but otherwise unspectacular and coverable. moore is small, and not super fast. henderson is fast, but cant catch. colston is big, but struggles in straight speed. graham is great, but as the only potential "total" mismatch teams can gameplan somewhat. with a second TE, and sproles lurking, or... how bout running with the two te for a while and sneaking sproles in as a FB... it gives them an extra piece that can be quite versatile and create his own mismatch or one for someone else

(dont get me wrong, moore and colston are pretty damn good... just have weaknesses)

gizzil

and again its not as if the saints dont already create mismatches all the time... i just feel this is another wrinkle... like two tights... even an extra tackle... colston split out, or weak side... sproles in the backfield.... would be a very nice pass formation... you could get some killer screens... or shoot colston across and send watson on the corner route... mesh graham with colston, and send sproles on a sick wheel... if they come in a heavy personnel package you have a crazy mismatch somewhere... or in the confusion graham or colston gets lost and free running towards open field... or sproles beats the second or third linebacker... or you hand it o him on a power o and have just a ridiculous amount of blocking... you could do more with bigger packages, which i feel was another reson the saints didnt have quite the success running that they maybe enjoyed in previous years... take away the tackle, add PT or Ingram, now you have dive plays, double flats for rbs with TE seams and wr hitches, ins or outs...

Last edited by a moderator: