QB Peyton Manning: Man On The Move?

Arctic Dawgs

Wouldn't it be great if the SeaHawks had Peyton next year........ I think there is some WR talent there. The rest of the team has become very solid across the board. Peyton play action to Lynch...... some potential big holes there when you hand off..... some frozen in their tracks safeties when you throw. Dome and nice West Coast weather!!

No Dome in Seattle

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Look at this at the new potential coach way. If the Colts are smart they keep Manning for a yeear, saying he can play, to mentor Luck then hand over the reigns and Peyton becomes QB coach afterwards. Good wrs and te makes this a potential gold mine for any new coach. Betcha Fisher would have went here instead of St Louis if the position was open at the time. The Colts looks to be the tops in coaching positions next year.

JScott

Administrator
Pay Peyton his 28mil roster bonus just for a year of mentoring? Not sure I agree with that, but Irsay I'm sure would consider it payment for past success.

Also that WR corp is going to take a hit. Wayne and Garcon (and Gonzo) are UFAs.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
If they bring in Luck, as expected, i don't see them allowing any of those guys getting away. Indy doesn't want to pull a Jax and bring in a rookie QB with no WR help. On the money owed to Peyton, they would probably strcture it somehow where he'd get it over time but after 1 year of getting Luck ready he would then join the coaching staff. Makes sense anyways to me.

And what if, Peyton decides to call it quits and go into the booth and become a commentator? He'd make an insane amount of money and get less dirty and not have to worry about the one hit that just might paralyze him.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
They can't pay Manning, Wayne, & luck. Either way I think Reggie is gone. Manning and Wayne arriving at the same new team next season could sure turn things around in a hurry for some club.

gizzil

They can't pay Manning, Wayne, & luck. Either way I think Reggie is gone. Manning and Wayne arriving at the same new team next season could sure turn things around in a hurry for some club.

I would say texans! but it'll never happen. manning's stayin put

Luck will be a Rookie. They are capped now. Not sure how much he will cost though

According to ESPN NFL Business Analyst Andrew Brandt, it will cost the Colts $50.5 million to keep Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck on the roster in 2012.

Manning's option is $28 million in addition to a $7.4 million salary while the No. 1 overall pick will receive approximately $15.1 million in bonus plus salary in 2012. If the Colts are dead-set on selecting a QB with the first pick, as owner Jim Irsay suggested, the only move that makes sense is declining Manning's option. Cleaning house from top to bottom, Manning's contract would be a salary-cap millstone around the franchise's neck while trying to improve the talent around Luck or Robert Griffin III.

Coachnorm

Never assume Peytons contract is set in stone. He has never gone full term with a contract without modifying it. Through the years he has allowed many changes to dig up money to keep other Colts players in the fold when a cap crunch comes around.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Your dead on. Its Mannings team and has been for years. Money won't be an issue come draft time for the colts. FA could be another story. Wayne coming to Jax would be nice but thats one name thats not coming up here. Seems like Stephen Jackson is on top of the FA list for WRs. Not sure about that move if it did happen. If they do that, hope they still go and get some rookies from the draft for the youth purpose.

JScott

Administrator
The other angle of this is how do the Colts maneuver to get what they want and still keep the rest of the league guessing in order to keep the value of the #1 pick. If the decision on Manning is made before the draft (which that March 8th bonus would seem to dictate) then they could lose a lot of leverage with the #1 pick. If Manning is not paid indicating he'll be gone then it's pretty obvious the Colts will stay put and take Luck or MGIII. This route puts their cards on the table and they'd have to stay put and take one of the QBs. The rest of the league would really have to pay up to get that #1 pick, which would be good for IND but they'd have to stay put and use the pick on a QB.

If Manning stays on the roster, come draft time then the Colts have left the league wondering. That would give them leverage with the pick to possibly deal it. But if they want to rebuild I don't see how they can pass on Luck and if so then they can't pay/keep Manning. They just need to put their cards on the table, like I said, not mess around and just do what they have to do.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Well said. And who says Luck will even make it as a pro QB. What if he is a bust? It could happen, no guarantee any player coming from college adapts to the pro league esp at such a tough position as QB.

Bull

The other angle of this is how do the Colts maneuver to get what they want and still keep the rest of the league guessing in order to keep the value of the #1 pick. If the decision on Manning is made before the draft (which that March 8th bonus would seem to dictate) then they could lose a lot of leverage with the #1 pick. If Manning is not paid indicating he'll be gone then it's pretty obvious the Colts will stay put and take Luck or MGIII. This route puts their cards on the table and they'd have to stay put and take one of the QBs. The rest of the league would really have to pay up to get that #1 pick, which would be good for IND but they'd have to stay put and use the pick on a QB.

If Manning stays on the roster, come draft time then the Colts have left the league wondering. That would give them leverage with the pick to possibly deal it. But if they want to rebuild I don't see how they can pass on Luck and if so then they can't pay/keep Manning. They just need to put their cards on the table, like I said, not mess around and just do what they have to do.

If they keep Manning, why not trade down a couple of spots and get whichever QB is left between Luck and MGIII? This works especially well if Indy knows that the team trading up to #1 doesn't want the QB they want. Indy can't trade down to #10 or anything, but they could trade down to #4 or so. No matter how you slice it, Indy's next month will be all about evaluating Manning. They have to know something going into the draft. If they don't know anything, they have to stay put and take one of the top two.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
If they keep Manning, why not trade down a couple of spots and get whichever QB is left between Luck and MGIII? This works especially well if Indy knows that the team trading up to #1 doesn't want the QB they want. Indy can't trade down to #10 or anything, but they could trade down to #4 or so. No matter how you slice it, Indy's next month will be all about evaluating Manning. They have to know something going into the draft. If they don't know anything, they have to stay put and take one of the top two.
I think you still take Luck. Manning has played for like 15 years or more. You are only going to get so much more out of him, and you have to have the future in place. Look at what has happened to franchises like Denver, Miami and such. Then look at what GB and Pittsburgh has done by thinking ahead. I think Luck is the #1, regardless, unless you want to shoot to drop down to #2 or #3 to get the Baylor kid.

DearbornDolfan

Miami's problem over the past 15 years has been incompetent drafting when the obvious stars show up. We had shot after shot at HOF quality players, guys you KNEW were going to be great, and didn't take them. Fortunately, this offseason is set up in such a way that Miami either gets Manning or they draft RGIII. I would argue that either move makes them a wildcard team.